$15 bootloader unlock monthly fee by verizon?!?

KaChow

Reaction score
Sorry, for ALL THE CAPS but this is ridiculous!!! I came across it in this article discussing the Motorola X that is coming this summer and there it was "If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee." Have a look at this article is this the future of profit gouging on unlocking bootloaders?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Yeah, if you buy the phone through the carrier. But, you can also buy the same phone from Google Play WITH an unlocked bootloader, and no fee. BUT, all of that is just a rumor at this point. It is not set in stone just yet.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Rumor is the key word. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

djspy

Reaction score
I'm thinking the VZW version of the phone will experience device shortages a la Nexus 4. Why? Verizon doesn't want an unlocked bootloader for free and would want too charge the $15. Yeah I know you all will say that if somehow Verizon is causing these shortages it's illegal but come on, this I'd the real world, companies do shady stuff like this all the time. At the end of the day money wins over everything.

djspy

Reaction score
I'm thinking these are pretty reliable rumors simply because the original page that reported these rumors quickly took article down and asked other pages to not credit them with this information. I'm guessing they got a legal letter for spilling the beans.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm thinking these are pretty reliable rumors simply because the original page that reported these rumors quickly took article down and asked other pages to not credit them with this information. I'm guessing they got a legal letter for spilling the beans.

Wow. That does seem like a good tell showing they're real. I believe, though, it's safer to say they're rumors just to keep the blood pack from getting flustered. But, I would rather sign a waiver with Motorola to lose my warranty than pay 15 a month to Big Red. They already charge too much, as it is. I shouldn't have to pay extra to make my phone mine.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Seeing as it is the blood sucking VZW, I would not be shocked if this happens.

Agreed. Vzw always tries crap like this as mentioned allot with the once removed third party WiFi apps from the play store. They are just butthurt that they can't sell a phone and still control it. But as long as the droid community works together,WE WILL PREVAIL ABOVE ANY CARRIER.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I heard this rumor about unlocked boot loaders and same person tech support, way back last Christmas...apparently they dropped the idea of having a it so you would talk to one person only for your tech support also...

Either way...its another 30$ for big red to pry out of ya

ROOTIMIZED!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First, until it is in writing or on an official verizon document there is no reason for any one to get hyped about it. Second, if verizon charged an "unlocked bootloader" fee you can bet there will be a loss of warranty and coverage with that. In the end verizon has the right to do what they want as it is their network. As a customer I have voice how I feel when it come contract renewal time. I personally already voiced how I felt about vzw as I have moved on and have no regrets but I also live in an area where I have a choice in networks. Unfortunately there are people who live in areas where they are stuck with verizon or poor coverage with another carrier.