Motorola To Unlock Atrix 4G Bootloader With Gingerbread Update?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

fastboot.jpg

With HTC unlocking the bootloaders on all of its future phones, Motorola has taken some heat for not unlocking the bootloaders on its phones. The company had announced that it would release software to unlock bootloaders at some point in Q3 and Q4 but it appears that it’s making the move earlier than expected as BriefMobile has confirmed that the update will unlock the bootloader on the Atrix.

They have confirmed that both the Chinese variant and the AT&T model will get their bootloader unlocked when Gingerbread rolls around this July which means that owners will be able to customize to their hearts content.
Motorola hasn’t confirmed this and it has backtracked on this in the past, but it looks like the company might finally have cracked in regards to its strict bootloader policy.

Source: Atrix Forums via BriefMobile

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We'll see how the carriers react. I think the biggest risk to profits is VoLTE with people downgrading or dropping voice minutes all together, and obviously the carriers will want to sell that service. Rooting and unlocked bootloaders mean, like tether, that people will probably work around their efforts to charge.

It will be interesting. Has to be pretty challenging for the carriers. They make a plan change and it's outdated almost from the onset. I kind of feel like VZW is missing the boat with it's tiers - should have gone with speed tiers and more generous data limits. And people are already starting to clamor for "buckets" of data across devices. With AT&T rumored to be going that route, VZW will be changing its plans again in a matter of months.

I'm also wondering if the cable providers don't influence prices setting some clauses in their access agreements with the carriers. No way would they stand for VZW allowing unlimited LTE with unlimited tethering because people would start dropping $50 broadband plans left and right. But if that were the case you'd think we would have caught wind of it by now.

Limbwalker

Reaction score
Let's hope it's only the beginning. The premise Android was based on was freedom do do what you will with your phone . . . dancedroid

Captmilk

Reaction score
I'll say it again, Too bad the Atrix is on AT&T. That's like giving a baby a samurai sword.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'll say it again, Too bad the Atrix is on AT&T. That's like giving a baby a samurai sword.

Agreed. Its like Motorola hates Verizon. Verizon is the network that made Android popular and is now getting screwed over (customer wise).

19thumper76

Reaction score
part of me is glad that they are unlocking the phones but for some reason i think they will some how be putting something in there that will alert the carrier when you unlock and root the phone

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

Agreed. Its like Motorola hates Verizon. Verizon is the network that made Android popular and is now getting screwed over (customer wise).

I just figured Moto was salty about the whole VZW-Iphone deal.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I hope they include the X2 in this. I'm itching to flash custom roms on this !