1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

$15 bootloader unlock monthly fee by verizon?!?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by KaChow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Sorry, for ALL THE CAPS but this is ridiculous!!! I came across it in this article discussing the Motorola X that is coming this summer and there it was "If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee." Have a look at this article is this the future of profit gouging on unlocking bootloaders?
  2. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you buy the phone through the carrier. But, you can also buy the same phone from Google Play WITH an unlocked bootloader, and no fee. BUT, all of that is just a rumor at this point. It is not set in stone just yet.
  3. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Rumor is the key word. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  4. djspy

djspy Member

I'm thinking the VZW version of the phone will experience device shortages a la Nexus 4. Why? Verizon doesn't want an unlocked bootloader for free and would want too charge the $15. Yeah I know you all will say that if somehow Verizon is causing these shortages it's illegal but come on, this I'd the real world, companies do shady stuff like this all the time. At the end of the day money wins over everything.
  5. djspy

djspy Member

I'm thinking these are pretty reliable rumors simply because the original page that reported these rumors quickly took article down and asked other pages to not credit them with this information. I'm guessing they got a legal letter for spilling the beans.
  6. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

Wow. That does seem like a good tell showing they're real. I believe, though, it's safer to say they're rumors just to keep the blood pack from getting flustered. But, I would rather sign a waiver with Motorola to lose my warranty than pay 15 a month to Big Red. They already charge too much, as it is. I shouldn't have to pay extra to make my phone mine.
  7. Knightrider03m

Knightrider03m New Member

Seeing as it is the blood sucking VZW, I would not be shocked if this happens.
  8. BuzzKillBob

BuzzKillBob New Member

Agreed. Vzw always tries crap like this as mentioned allot with the once removed third party WiFi apps from the play store. They are just butthurt that they can't sell a phone and still control it. But as long as the droid community works together,WE WILL PREVAIL ABOVE ANY CARRIER.
  9. EstelleHensley

EstelleHensley New Member

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  10. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I heard this rumor about unlocked boot loaders and same person tech support, way back last Christmas...apparently they dropped the idea of having a it so you would talk to one person only for your tech support also...

Either way...its another 30$ for big red to pry out of ya

ROOTIMIZED!!!
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

First, until it is in writing or on an official verizon document there is no reason for any one to get hyped about it. Second, if verizon charged an "unlocked bootloader" fee you can bet there will be a loss of warranty and coverage with that. In the end verizon has the right to do what they want as it is their network. As a customer I have voice how I feel when it come contract renewal time. I personally already voiced how I felt about vzw as I have moved on and have no regrets but I also live in an area where I have a choice in networks. Unfortunately there are people who live in areas where they are stuck with verizon or poor coverage with another carrier.
Search tags for this page
best unlocked bootloader verizon phone

droid dna unlock bootloader

droid razr unlocked bootloader verizon

droid x unlock bootloader

how much does it cost to unlock droid razr
how to unlock bootloader note 3 on verizon

htc droid dna unlocked bootloader

s4 bootloader unlock verizon
s4 verizon me7 bootloader
unlock bootloader s3 verizon

unlock verizon droid razr