1 week with the Moto Droid

NRB

Reaction score
I have had my Droid for one week and aside from some user errors it has been an awesome phone. If anything I find it is more geared toward advanced users and the forums seem to be for people who develop apps or have experience programing. The only complaint I have about the Moto Droid is the 256m of ROM. it seems like such a simple thing, if the I phone and Droid run similar hardware and the Droid is capable of running apps and the OS fromthe SD card why was it not the origonal design. I hope there will be a work around an upgrade or something for the average user like myself. I have found a ton of apps I would like to download but not at the cost of freezing my phone. I have jsut scratched the surface and it seems to be a good device.

Shel

Reaction score
The Droid has quite a bit of space for apps.

Keep in mind, photos, videos and mp3 files ALL go on the sd card, and don't use up any of the internal memory.

Also, many apps have the basic code installed on the sd card, and other files, which the program will access, are placed on the sd card.

Doom, or one of those games, just came out. I read that it installs something like 230mb of files on the Sd card, and only uses a small amount of the internal memory.

Book readers, for example, can have the reader only installed to internal memory, and all of the actual books can be installed to the sd card. Map programs, same thing...

I had the G1, which had about 72mb of space for apps. Now THAT was a hassle, because it's a rediculously small amount of memory. I ran out of space after about three months, and then had to decide what programs I wanted to delete, to make room for new programs I wanted installed.

Also, keep in mind, a LOT of programs, most people install, use once or twice, then never open again. Go through your programs and see which ones are installed that you really don't use.

I've put just about every program my previous two Android devices had on them, and I've still got around 110mb of internal memory available.

OP
N

NRB

Reaction score
Thanks Shel every app I have down loaded I have deleted except a free ring tone app which is nice to have for now. I also got the Map update. So for now its one at a time it just seems strange that with the 16-32 gigs available why wouldn't Motorola/ Android make that available. I have read that people hack their own phones but that's way over my head. By the time I learn anough about the device for it to really be an issue the 6th or 7th generation will be out and this issue will have been programed out of exsistance. so cheers. and Thank you for the heads up.