Zagg shield looks like garbage. Anyone?

mrnelson86

Reaction score
I hated the tacky feel of the zag g shield. also the little pieces left too many gaps for my comfort on the full body shield

eanelson

Reaction score
If you are still looking for the polyurethane style shield and want to ditch the Zagg, I recommend you check out Ghost-armor. Now, I've never used Zagg, so can't comment on it, but I have to say that I love my ghost-armor full body kit so far. I just installed it this evening, and it wasn't bad at all. Took me maybe 30-40 minutes to get all 18 pieces on, and I really like the way it feels. The screen still feels slick and is just as responsive as without the shield. There is no orange peel on the screen protector part, but I do notice a tiny bit on the back (which doesn't really matter). There are some extremely small air bubbles in mine, but I have already noticed them starting to go away, so I am hoping that 24-48 hours in they will be just about all gone.

I think the Ghost-armor will protect this phone well and was only $18 shipped from their website.

Berzerker

Reaction score
You can also try BodyGuardz, they give you 2 sets, in case you screw up on the first one, for cheaper than Zagg.

TBV

Reaction score
I started off with the one sold through VZW, but was never 100% happy with the way those seem to never fully align (work at VZW, so have installed scores of protectors on a wide variety of devices) with the screen particularly up in the upper right near the proximity(?) sensor...I had a customer come in a while back with a Storm that had the Zagg Invisible Shield and was I impressed by how it looked, so when I happened to be in Best Buy the other day, I decided to give it a try...

I paid the extra $8 to have the representative install it, and I think she did a pretty good job...

I can relate what a few have mentioned above in regards to the 'orange peel' thing, but on mine it is really not pronounced at all, however I can imagine if someone was to install one and didn't have any experience in doing so, it could possibly look kind of ratty (for lack of a better word).

There is definitely a 'sticky' feel to it compared to the naked screen or the other protector I had on it, but I have noticed that as the days since its being installed have passed, it has felt smoother and smoother.

What was interesting to me was that the rep who installed it told me that it was going to look a little weird for the first few hours, some bubbles may appear but would go away, be careful with it for a while however it would look great within a couple of hours, and she was right... also, as someone mentioned above, it tends to ' finger oil' smear less than with the previous protector installed or when 'naked'.

Just my .02

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I tried bodyguardz for about a week and took the screen portion of it off. Instead of scratching it gouges, so you can feel every nick and bump in the rubber coating...horrible. It has the orange peel effect despite their advertisements, and it feels rubbery despite their advertisements.

I ended up with 4 sets of whole phone protectors (long story) for the price of two, and 3 of them will probably end up in the trash.

So, my screen will stay bare and the back will be "protected".

mkloharry

Reaction score
No problems here

The Zag shield will be some what tacky for a week or two. Mine been on for several weeks now and is smooth as glass. Most problems are from improper installing. Highly recommend. If installed properly it will last almost forever. I have a couple of retired devices that have the original Zag shield on that look like they just came out of the box.

godfothr69

Reaction score
If you take your phone to Best Buy, for about $20.00, they will install the Zagg skins for you. The nice thing about taking to them, is that if they mess it up, they will replace it at no cost.

ENFD160

Reaction score
Took me maybe 30-40 minutes to get all 18 pieces on, and I really like the way it feels.

Just got my Droid and was searching for the best way to protect it. Looks like the Ghost Armour may be the best for me. But I am concerned, there are 18 pieces to apply? That seems like a bit of overkill. Could you clarify? I can see the obvious screen piece and 2 pieces for the back. Maybe a piece or 2 for the keyboard slideout. Where do the other 13 pieces go?

eanelson

Reaction score
Took me maybe 30-40 minutes to get all 18 pieces on, and I really like the way it feels.

Just got my Droid and was searching for the best way to protect it. Looks like the Ghost Armour may be the best for me. But I am concerned, there are 18 pieces to apply? That seems like a bit of overkill. Could you clarify? I can see the obvious screen piece and 2 pieces for the back. Maybe a piece or 2 for the keyboard slideout. Where do the other 13 pieces go?

Sorry, I miscounted. There are actually 16 pieces. It's not too bad to install and covers about every are of the phone that is exposed. Because of all of the bevels and moving parts, there is the necessity for so many pieces, but I feel like they did a great job.

Let me know if you have any questions other questions about Ghost-armor. I'll try to answer as many as I can.

EDIT: If you want a picture, the setup of the Ghost-Armor is similar to the Bodyguardz one. The link for it is here. The big difference I notice between the two, however, is that the Ghost-Armor wraps around the corners (and thus should protect better IMO) vs the Bodyguardz having pieces that meet in the corners.

Last edited: