Thinking about getting PhantomSkinz? Read this

Detonation

Reaction score
When I got my Droid I searched around for the best screen/body protector to buy. I previously had a Zagg on my Creative Zen for 2 years, and while the protection was great, its was very rubbery/grippy and I didn't think it would be good for a touch screen. I ended up going for a PS because it had great reviews of being smooth with no orange peel, and it was also pretty cheap (full body for $25 - 33% when I bought it).

The first installation of the screen got some dust and fuzz under it since I was OCD about getting it perfect, so I emailed them about it and they sent me a replacement for free, no questions asked. I know it did come with two sets of protectors but I wanted to keep one as a backup still. Second installation was perfect. No dirt, dust, fuzz or finger prints. Screen was perfectly smooth (no orange peel) and the touch felt almost the same as the glass. Put the rest of the body on without a problem and with just a few bubbles in some of the tougher spots.

At first I was very impressed, but now a month later I am not at all. After normal daily use taking my phone in and out of my pocket (sometimes with keys in it) the skin is filled with knicks and wrinkles. While the film may not technically scratch, it is vulnerable to indentations and air bubbles forming which do not "self heal". Instead of scratching, it seems like the skin stretches in place, resulting in a wrinkle/groove with little marks that look like air bubbles underneath. Not only does it make the screen look scratched and dirty, but you feel them while using the touch screen. As I write this, I just dug my finger nail into the screen and tried to scratch it, leaving another permanent groove. The rest of the body has surprisingly stayed pretty clean of wrinkles, so it may have something to do with its application on glass. Needless to say however, I will be throwing away my PS as soon as I decided and receive a replacement.

Overall, I would avoid PhantomSkinz. The skin is very smooth and there is almost no orange peel but unfortunately thats ruined by how easily it is damaged....every day I am finding more and more knicks and wrinkles and that is just unacceptable compared to others. This skin is NOT scratch proof like other comparable skins! However, I will commend their customer service for being very helpful and quick to reply.

Here are some pictures of the PS. The screen was cleaned right before taking the pictures...there may be a few hairs and smears, but the majority of the marks you see are permanently on the skin. The only intentional mark is the one in the upper right corner that I mentioned doing above.

I am planning on trying a BodyGuardz next. I've had Zagg and BSE on other devices and I think they are too textured for a touch phone. BodyGuardz sounded like the next best deal (2 full sets for $25 - 15%) compared to others I was looking at (Ghost Amour, Skinomi, Steinheil Crystal).

Anyone else have a similar experience with PhantomSkinz and have suggestions for a new one?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am planning on trying a BodyGuardz next. I've had Zagg and BSE on other devices and I think they are too textured for a touch phone. BodyGuardz sounded like the next best deal (2 full sets for $25 - 15%) compared to others I was looking at (Ghost Amour, Skinomi, Steinheil Crystal).

Anyone else have a similar experience with PhantomSkinz and have suggestions for a new one?

I just got the Stienheil Crystal. They are GREAT. Very impressed and satisfied. Would HIGHLY recommend.
SGPStore.com | Protector skin for your iPod, iPhone, MP3, cell phone, notebook, and more handheld devices

mjs31

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about phantom skinz, but I have actually had pretty good success with them. They do not claim to be scratch/goudge proof. They say that most scratches can heal within 24 hours. I will say that there have been some small scratches that did heal and some knicks that didn't. This, unfortunately, will happen with most screen protectors. If you do get one that is so tough that goudging will not damage it, you may find it difficult to use on a touch screen. I have tried many different brands and they are all typically the same for goudges.
Some of your photos do have some minor scratches, but you also have some major goudges. Even with a screen protector, one needs to use some common sense.

KZI - thanks for the info....I may give them a try when my phantom wears out.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about phantom skinz, but I have actually had pretty good success with them. They do not claim to be scratch/goudge proof. They say that most scratches can heal within 24 hours. I will say that there have been some small scratches that did heal and some knicks that didn't. This, unfortunately, will happen with most screen protectors. If you do get one that is so tough that goudging will not damage it, you may find it difficult to use on a touch screen. I have tried many different brands and they are all typically the same for goudges.
Some of your photos do have some minor scratches, but you also have some major goudges. Even with a screen protector, one needs to use some common sense.

I looked back on their site and will agree that they don't claim to be scratch proof, but everything I've done with my phone has been common sense use that would result in the "everyday scratches" they mention they protect against (other than the one intentional gouge). It goes in and out of my pocket and is usually the only thing in there. Thats it. Sometimes it is shared with my single car key, but never the whole key ring. I keep my Zune with a BSE in my other pocket with the full key ring, and that doesn't have a single scratch on it. Nor did my Zen with a Zagg on it for 2 years get one, and that got much heavier use than a phone. I can't imagine what my PS would look like in 2 years if it got this bad in only one month. I understand you have to sacrifice some durability for a smoother feel, but in this case its like you're sacrificing all the durability.

The bottom line here then is that PhantomSkinz is in a completely different league than Zagg, BSE, etc and shouldn't be compared against them. Everywhere I find a skin comparision thread on google, it seems the "PhantomSkinz Guru" is in the topic posting or voting in a poll that their product "is the very best". I applaud their involvment in the community, but I would think that anyone looking at comparison threads for these types of skins is expecting something on par with being scratch proof/resistant, at least better than what my pictures show. If you're going to go around telling everyone that you have a smoother screen with no orangle peel, then also mention its at the expense of durablility and thus scratches easier.

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. I too purchased the PhantomShieldz and had identical results. After a week in my pocket I noticed some slight scraches, but figured they would heal as it is advertised as a self-healing film. Well, it didn't and continued to get worse. When I finally had enough and was ready to remove it, I decided to give the screen protector a little test, and I found that I could severely damage it with just my thumb nail! Terrible!

Well, I've since switched to a Steinheil Crystal, and echoing KZI's praise, I could not be happier with it.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm using a case with my screen protector for carrying in my purse - my Phantom Skinz had the same issue but I tought it was my issue. YOu just can't drop anything inot a purse with pens, pencils, keys, change and expect it to come out unscathed. I'm using a leather Seidio case with a belt clip that keeps the screen from encountering anything hazardous.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So far so good with my PS screen protector. It'll give it a month and see how it holds up.

Detonation: Take a look at Invisible Gadget Guard. Had one on my last phone and it held up great for the eight months I had the phone. It was durable but also smooth and completely invisible.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe put your keys in a different pocket..? that's what i do, and have done since nov 6th, and my droid is not scratched. i'm starting to think the protectors are a bad idea.

OP
Detonation

Detonation

Reaction score
maybe put your keys in a different pocket..? that's what i do, and have done since nov 6th, and my droid is not scratched. i'm starting to think the protectors are a bad idea.

The whole point of buying one of these protectors is so that you CAN do something like keep them in the same pocket. I don't want to have to go out of my way all the time to prevent the normal wear and tear from typical use. It's not an excuse to be careless, but its piece of mind knowing that in most cases your device isn't going to get scratched and will be looking like its new until the day I stop using it. The PhantomSkin does still accomplish this, but whats the point in spending money to keep it free of scratches if you're just going to put something on it that makes it look all scratched up anyways?

YOu just can't drop anything inot a purse with pens, pencils, keys, change and expect it to come out unscathed.

With a proper skin, yes you can. Like I've already said, I had a Zagg on my Zen for 2 years which, among other things, constantly went in and out a pocket with keys and pens. Not a single scratch, mark, knick, or wrinkle on the skin other than a small hole one of my track spikes put it in, which is a very uncommon situation. And when I took it off before I sold the Zen because it was dirty and turning yellow, the Zen looked brand new.

Meathead40

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I ordered a set of phantomskinz but have been debating putting them on for the last 4 months.

Yesterday, my 'unscratchable' gorilla glass got a scratch that I can feel with my finger :(

Now I want to put on the PH Skin, but if that thing scratches too... then I'm not sure what to do. I'm sick of spending money on screen protectors. :p