Zagg shield looks like garbage. Anyone?

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
I went through the horrible experience of trying to put on a Zagg Invisishield on my Droid and it looks awful.

First of all, the process for installing one of these shields is frustrating to say the least. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes trying to get the shield to line up right, and having to sponge each side of the shield and my fingers. Then, while I was trying to be really careful, it dropped on the carpet. So then I had to do more sponging. It's just a mess and I'm regretting spending the time and money on it.

Second, after I finally get it on there and after 24 hours there are still a few small bubbles, dirt/particles, and small hairs under the shield. I know this is probably due to me dropping it, but I sponged it really well afterwards and whipped the screen with the cloth.

It only looks bad on white backgrounds, and I could probably live with it but it's too distracting.

Has anyone had this same experience? Should I just take it off? I know the screen has protective properties itself.

spyder560

Reaction score
I had one of these invisible shields on my Droid too...I took it off after about a week.

First of all, I couldn't stand the rainbowy look while browsing the net.
The rubbery feel just didn't feel good to me while swiping/typing/etc.
I hated the 'orange peel' look at certain angles too. I'll agree though that the screen is super protected...but then again, when is my Droid ever going to be exposed to helicopter blades??

I opted for the Crystal clear screen protector from SGPStore.com
Awesome! It was super easy to put on, and all the edges even around the earpiece actually stay stuck on without any constant bubbles like the one VZW sells. Once on, it's super clear, it feel as if there is no protector at all. I noticed the really good screen protectors are always Made in Japan/Korea.

Rikybob

Reaction score
I agree! I bought the screen protector on the recommendation of many on this board and it DOES get artifacts and DOES exhibit "orange peel". I even felt "slimy" as there was (and I am not making this up) 3 lbs of packaging that came with this crappy lil piece of plastic that actually succeeded in making my droid look bad.

Off to try the one recommended above!

R/B

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Give Gadget Guard a try. I've had one on my Samsung Impression for 8 months now and it is holding up fine. Still looks like the day I installed it. It is smooth, clear and has no streaking or orange peel. I previously had a Zagg on mine and still have one on my daughters Eternity and no matter what I couldn't get all of the orange peel effect to go away. And I just don't like the tacky feel of the Zagg. When I finally break down and get a Droid (or Eris) I'm going with them again.

BTW they have an ebay store where you can get them cheaper than the website.
Ebay user ID: invisiblegadgetguard

coolkidd

Reaction score
ZAGG Invisible Shield is really hard to install... But once you get thru the experience, it is really a nice looking protection on my Droid.

Note: I am not in anyway affiliated to ZAGG or its partners. I have probably have a lot more experience on putting the Invisible Shield because all my gadgets have them (GPS, iPods, Camera, Laptop, and Phones).

Maximo

Reaction score
I've installed several ZAGGs on my WinMo phones and I can tell you it is NOT crystal clear and has a very "grippy" and rubbery feel that takes away from the Droid's intended screen experience. Im now using the VZW protector and it is very clear and smooth, however, as posted above, it will not adhere properly at the top edges.

brendanstl

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone has used the droid skins for the body of the phone. I saw they have a lot of dif designs.

inthedarkness02

Reaction score
zagg

i had the zagg on my dare and i loved it .will i get it for the droid... probally not just becuase its a different feel and screen.

srt4mn

Reaction score
I had a VZW screen protector and hated it. I got the Zagg put on at a best buy and like it a lot. It does have that orange peel look, but I hardly notice it unless I am looking for it. I am not a huge fan of the grippy screen, but I noticed it does a good job from getting the screen all greasy from fingers. Also, no hairs or dirt underneath it here.

DougNg

Reaction score
I've been using Zagg and Best Skins Ever for years and dozens of devices, my friends and my own, always been happy with them.

I tried to go without a screen protector, but I know myself and a scratch will drive me nuts. Sand can be found in the seams of predistressed clothes, my girlfriend's diamond earrings might scratch the screen if she uses my phone, grains of crystals such as salt (which most of NY is covered in right now) can scratch glass, and occassionally I'll put a ceramic mug on top of the phone by accident. The peace of mind is just worth it for me

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
I've used Zagg for a while now. This is my first phone to use it on, but I have had them on pda's for years. I just prefer them to the other, more flimsy feeling ones. But then, I am typically not actually worried about scratches on the glass (it really is quite resistant on its own), but I have finger-print ocd. I can't stand finger smudges on my screen, and Zagg does better than most at not showing any.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this same experience? Should I just take it off? I know the screen has protective properties itself.
I've never experienced that but I've never dropped one while applying it (and if I do I'm working at a well-lit and clean counter anyway). Bubbles have always completely disappeared for me. I suspect that the dirt/hair/etc is preventing that in your case. You should do whatever you think you need to do regardless of my experiences. Not everyone likes the IS.

Last edited:

romangreen23

Reaction score
Sand can be found in the seams of predistressed clothes, my girlfriend's diamond earrings might scratch the screen if she uses my phone, grains of crystals such as salt (which most of NY is covered in right now) can scratch glass, and occassionally I'll put a ceramic mug on top of the phone by accident. The peace of mind is just worth it for me

How dare you use the Droid as a coaster.

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
man o man... seems like most of these issues could be cleared up after a simple class on "how to install window tint to a car"

i installed my Zagg shield in about 3 minutes. no air bubbles and it lined up perfectly.

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
Sand can be found in the seams of predistressed clothes, my girlfriend's diamond earrings might scratch the screen if she uses my phone, grains of crystals such as salt (which most of NY is covered in right now) can scratch glass, and occassionally I'll put a ceramic mug on top of the phone by accident. The peace of mind is just worth it for me

How dare you use the Droid as a coaster.

there's an iphone for that...