Z Play Android version

finatic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have been using a Verizon Moto Z Play for quite a few years. Over time system upgrades have gotten me to Android 8.0. I just bought a replacement Z Play (new old stock) which is the exact model as my old unit and the Android version is 6.0.1. I select check for updates and it come back Software is up to date. I use SimpliSafe security and when I go to the play store on the 6.0.1 phone that app isn't available. If I go to the play store on my 8.0 phone the app is there to download. I have to believe this is due to the version issue. I called Verizon and it doesn't seem that I can request an update be sent to the phone. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can get around this issue?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum. Im not sure why the replacement Moto Z would hot upgrade to 8.0 also. It should. Unless Moto pulled the updates because the phone is so old and has reached end of life? Have you contacted Simplisafe (their contact info is in the Play Store) to verify that the app is not available for Android 6? On the new phone, are you signed into a valid Google account (for the Play Store)?

The only other option I can think of is to get an app APK from APK Mirror and sideload it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
F

finatic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the reply. I did call Simplisafe and their support docs show 6.0 is supported but she wasn't sure that was current info. It's been a while since I rooted a droid. If I went down that road is the OS something that I can get my hands on and install?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the reply. I did call Simplisafe and their support docs show 6.0 is supported but she wasn't sure that was current info. It's been a while since I rooted a droid. If I went down that road is the OS something that I can get my hands on and install?
Not rooting. Sideloading an app doesn't require root. You download the APK file from a safe, trusted source. Then you just have to turn off the option that stops you from loading apps that way (it's in Settings, I forget the exact same right now). Then double tap the app to install. Then go back to Settings and turn the option to not allow back to On. It's a matter of: do you trust APK Mirror or not. I have used many app APK files from there.

Edit: In my Pixel it's called "Allow Unknown Apps". I think Moto called it something slightly different

OP
F

finatic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not rooting. Sideloading an app doesn't require root. You download the APK file from a safe, trusted source. Then you just have to turn off the option that stops you from loading apps that way (it's in Settings, I forget the exact same right now). Then double tap the app to install. Then go back to Settings and turn the option to not allow back to On. It's a matter of: do you trust APK Mirror or not. I have used many app APK files from there.

Edit: In my Pixel it's called "Allow Unknown Apps". I think Moto called it something slightly different

I got a hold of Simplisafe finally and they are unwilling to help with providing an earlier version of thier app. I am in search of a safe download site. Is APKMirror such a site?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I got a hold of Simplisafe finally and they are unwilling to help with providing an earlier version of thier app. I am in search of a safe download site. Is APKMirror such a site?
Yes it is. That's one of the most used and most trusted sites for downloading APK app files. Vendors almost never give you a copy of their app via an APK file, the product vendor is going to tell you to use your specific app store.