Youtube blocking moble devices?

justicw

Reaction score
I tried to get on youtube last night for the first time in a while and HALF of my favorite video's are now blocked. At first I thought well maybe it's just the HD but it isn't. I did a search on AMV (because I like them hehe) and I'll be damned if a large portion of those are just the same "not available on moble". When did this happen and WTF is google thinking. Hell the ONLY time I go to youtub is on my droid

On a side note can someone send me an alternitive site I can look up WoW and AMV video's on my droid?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried to get on youtube last night for the first time in a while and HALF of my favorite video's are now blocked. At first I thought well maybe it's just the HD but it isn't. I did a search on AMV (because I like them hehe) and I'll be damned if a large portion of those are just the same "not available on moble". When did this happen and WTF is google thinking. Hell the ONLY time I go to youtub is on my droid

On a side note can someone send me an alternitive site I can look up WoW and AMV video's on my droid?

Well, I think you have something set up wrong on your Droid. It shouldn't appear as a "mobile" device. Try turning off the high quality from mobile device setting, see if that works.

This is an educated guess. I very rarely use youtube.

lyam

Reaction score
Youtube allows the video uploader to specify whether videos are allowed to be viewed on mobile devices or not. Once you get flash on your device, you'll likely be able to switch your browser's user agent setting to desktop and visit the site using flash to view the videos as you would on your desktop computer.

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
Youtube allows the video uploader to specify whether videos are allowed to be viewed on mobile devices or not. Once you get flash on your device, you'll likely be able to switch your browser's user agent setting to desktop and visit the site using flash to view the videos as you would on your desktop computer.

I've tried this and it does not work (as of now anyway) The video does try to play but it just sets at the loading video screen. I'm going to download a third party browser and try it and see if I can bypass this.

lyam

Reaction score
That's a shame. I assumed a combination of Flash and user agest settings would allow us to bypass the restrictions on mobile devices.

I've tried this and it does not work (as of now anyway) The video does try to play but it just sets at the loading video screen. I'm going to download a third party browser and try it and see if I can bypass this.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have tryed this as welll

I was about to do a post when I seen this thread........

it is true youtube is saying not able to see this video on a mobile device & it is the same video i looked at the other day an was able to view it.....

I finally googled the video found the youtube link clicked on it it brought me to the youtube mobile site still did not let me watch video saying i was on a mobile device....So I scrolled down to the bottom of the page clicked on view full site & then was able to watch the video not sure what happened maybe youtube did a update or something

by the way this only works if you are on 2.2/Froyo

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
I was about to do a post when I seen this thread........

it is true youtube is saying not able to see this video on a mobile device & it is the same video i looked at the other day an was able to view it.....

I finally googled the video found the youtube link clicked on it it brought me to the youtube mobile site still did not let me watch video saying i was on a mobile device....So I scrolled down to the bottom of the page clicked on view full site & then was able to watch the video not sure what happened maybe youtube did a update or something

by the way this only works if you are on 2.2/Froyo

I am on 2.2 and I tried to find the setting that you are talking about but all I found was "desktop" is that the setting you are talking about? I did try that mode and it seemed to come up but all I get is the loading video screen and it never starts playing.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
too many people downloading stuff from their phones I would assume...

....you're welcome

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I think it is a error in youtube someone might have to email there tech support

I am guessing some one will have to email there tech support an ask them whats up I could careless due tot he fact its youtube I can live without it

OP
justicw

justicw

Reaction score
this is what I have verified so far. My friend has a non rooted 2.1 HTC and he can NOT see ANY of the video's that I can see as being blocked. It seems that it is being filtered out on his device as we tried to search for the videos (word for word) that I could see as "not available for Mobile" on my droid. He could not find a single video that I could see which tells me that if you are using a Mobile device it is being filtered (even in searches). We tried this for about 10 video's ALL of them he could NOT see from his youtube app. They simply was not showing up in the search.

This seems to be user driven as the "syndicate" setting is what (according to youtube's support forum) is the deciding factor in whether or not it will show up on Mobile devices.

I've tried everything I know to try to get around it but I have failed lol.

the only reason I ran into this issue was because all of a sudden some of my favorites would no longer play (they did before less then a week ago)

bob1

Reaction score
Download "Blocked" YouTube Videos

Youtube apparently DOES block some videos to Mobil units. I wanted to have a copy of a youtube video on my Droid but could not find it when searching Youtube with the Droid. It was the number one search hit on my desktop computer but the same search terms could not bring it up on the Droid. (It was an “Official” video from Capital Records.)

To get the video downloaded to my Droid, I copied the YouTube link and then emailed the Youtube video link from my desk top computer to my droid. Then when I tried to open the link in the Droid the video just froze on the opening screen.

To get the video downloaded to the Droid I used a program for the Droid called “Tubemate” That program allowed me to download a local copy of the forbidden video to the droid and it now plays nicely on my Droid X when ever I want.

Don’t expect to be able to find all your YouTube videos on your mobil phone. I sure don’t know why Youtube would prevent mobil phones from viewing all the videos on their site.

billyidle

Reaction score
The reason lies with those who own the rights to the material, it is not Youtube's fault

SilverStrings

Reaction score
The reason lies with those who own the rights to the material, it is not Youtube's fault

Then why block it just for mobile? If it were a copyright issue shouldn't it be blocked in general? Nah, sporadic and inconsistent anti-copyright actions must be most effective