New DROID user with some questions

briand515

Reaction score
1. Battery life, I charged it and it lasted only about 3 1/2 hours though that was pretty much being used the whole time, I browsed the web mostly during my use along with maybe ~20 min pandora streaming, im running, took some pictures, streamed some youtube videos maybe around 15 min, I have 3 widgets (pandora, weather, facebook). Had twidroid running maybe half the time. Now I'm aware that this would probably qualify as "heavy" usage but the run time did seem pretty short even for heavy usage so I'm a bit concerned.

2. Auto brightness, I noticed when you first boot the device that when the lock screen first comes up the autobrightness is not functioning until you sleep the phone and wake it again. I was wondering if that is a normal thing.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Go to settings, about phone, then battery use to see whats using your battery. Constant use with the display brightness turned all the way (as it probably was since you have it on auto) is going to eat your battery up.

Turn you display brightness down, turn off all transmitter/receivers while not in use andyou will see a better time for sure.

OP
B

briand515

Reaction score
Go to settings, about phone, then battery use to see whats using your battery. Constant use with the display brightness turned all the way (as it probably was since you have it on auto) is going to eat your battery up.

Turn you display brightness down, turn off all transmitter/receivers while not in use andyou will see a better time for sure.

It had 58% display and 14% for Browser (Dolphin browser was another 5% as well) as the top users.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
So it took almost 60% of your battery, just to keep the screen lit for 3.5 hours and about 40 percent to run the processor and antennas for the same amount of time. Not too shabby really.

SuGaR

Reaction score
Make sure you put the power control widget up and try to keep off things you aren't using(including brightness). That will save your battery LOADS.

Also from my personal experience, my battery seemed to hold charge longer after a few days of owning the phone. Miracle? Dunno' but I swear that when I first got the phone, the battery didn't last as long as it does now! :)

droidilac

Reaction score
Make sure you put the power control widget up and try to keep off things you aren't using(including brightness). That will save your battery LOADS.

Also from my personal experience, my battery seemed to hold charge longer after a few days of owning the phone. Miracle? Dunno' but I swear that when I first got the phone, the battery didn't last as long as it does now! :)

Lmao..... I thought the exact same thing. Then realized it was probably due to being on the phone and playing with it NON STOP LOL

I spent literally the first 24 hours downloading Apps and just playing games or browsing the web. :)

JaCelica2k

Reaction score
1. Battery life, I charged it and it lasted only about 3 1/2 hours though that was pretty much being used the whole time, I browsed the web mostly during my use along with maybe ~20 min pandora streaming, im running, took some pictures, streamed some youtube videos maybe around 15 min, I have 3 widgets (pandora, weather, facebook). Had twidroid running maybe half the time. Now I'm aware that this would probably qualify as "heavy" usage but the run time did seem pretty short even for heavy usage so I'm a bit concerned.

2. Auto brightness, I noticed when you first boot the device that when the lock screen first comes up the autobrightness is not functioning until you sleep the phone and wake it again. I was wondering if that is a normal thing.

No matter what settings you have set (lowest brightness)...If you have the screen on the whole time you are not going to see a WHOLE lot better than that. Perhaps a bit, but keeping that display on for 4 hours or so straight is not bad.

thelion

Reaction score
Pandora will drain your battery. So will constant internet usage. What you are describing was pretty intensive use for the short amount of time. Turn your display down and shut things off (wifi etc) when they aren't in use. Also, make sure you are fully charging your phone.

mmdroid

Reaction score
new too

I am such a new user that I need a simple how-to guide to manage some basic stuff. Perhaps I am too old for the whole phenomenom but am anxious to learn.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually the 4 hours you got with the display on the whole time, some streaming, browsing and what not isn't too shabby.... but your battery life will improve after a couple days of usage. Somewhat due to the fact that you won't be 'playing' with it as much as we all do when something is new, and secondly I find once you get into your regular usage/charge cycle the battery holds a lot longer :)

luckmylife

Reaction score
I had mine on auto brightness and the screen wouldn't time out. IDK if that's just my Droid or what but I switched it and put it on a low brightness setting and now it times out. Is it supposed to still time out when on auto brightness?

angryunibrow

Reaction score
I did my "heavy usage" test today to prepare myself for the 6 hour plane ride I have next week.
I was going to buy another spare battery because I wanted to watch a season of hour long episodes on the plane.

Well much to my surprise this was my findings...

Woke up this morning, pulled the phone out of the dock (100% battery)
Started playing my videos and tested to see how long before my battery died.

Much to my surprise I got 6 episodes in, so that was 6 straight hours of my screen on with videos playing!
After the 6th episode I was at 10% battery left.

I'm stoked, I do not need to buy another battery, this will do just fine for my plane ride :)

droidilac

Reaction score
I am such a new user that I need a simple how-to guide to manage some basic stuff. Perhaps I am too old for the whole phenomenom but am anxious to learn.

Well welcome to the forum. Read as much as you can. If you still have questions just ask. This place is full of knowledge.

Reaction score
Here is a good view for everyone curious about battery life.

[video=youtube;5MiCazSsEWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MiCazSsEWg[/video]

It makes it pretty clear that the screen on a lot uses a lot of your battery, but only because it is the constant denominator to using the phone. It won't kill your phone as quick as you think, the main culprit includes phone calls, streaming, surfing, and anything with gps. GPS will eat your phone alive.