Your first impressions on the Note 4

Moulton

Reaction score
Coming from the S4 myself.

So far I'm getting used to just the size difference. Messed around with the finger print scanner since I was most intrigued by it when announced and it works properly about 95% of the time I used it... not bad.

The camera is as advertised, boss! I may upload shots later.

The S pen is extremely useful to me. I'll get plenty of use for work.

I'm even impressed with the updates made to s health. What I'm saying is... I'm happy with this purchase. I'll keep it for a solid year until the Note 5...ha!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I use the stock keyboard for password sensitive information. Glad to see it is still there.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Screen on time is 3hrs. Lol

muqupuze.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
3 hours is great at 50% for a QHD display combined with a virgin battery!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Coming from the S4 myself.

So far I'm getting used to just the size difference. Messed around with the finger print scanner since I was most intrigued by it when announced and it works properly about 95% of the time I used it... not bad.

The camera is as advertised, boss! I may upload shots later.

The S pen is extremely useful to me. I'll get plenty of use for work.

I'm even impressed with the updates made to s health. What I'm saying is... I'm happy with this purchase. I'll keep it for a solid year until the Note 5...ha!

I'm very impressed with the fingerprint scanner as well. I set it up for the lock screen. Almost as fast as swiping, even on the occasion I have to do it a second or third time. I trained it for both thumbs, one-handed & am confident that it'll be quite reliable with a little practice.

I've used the pen a lot more since my initial post & agree there as well as s health.

I'm making a real effort to make use of the built in functionality & am still very glad I made this choice.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use the pen daily on my Note 3 and Pro 12.2 for work in excel. It is a tremendous help in selecting cells, copy paste, etc. It is nice for games as well.

Did they keep the pen functional with the capacitive keys?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It'll get better over the next couple weeks as you build up your cache files and get everything tweaked just the way you want it. Enjoy & congrats on your new toy JK!

S5 tap'n

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use the pen daily on my Note 3 and Pro 12.2 for work in excel. It is a tremendous help in selecting cells, copy paste, etc. It is nice for games as well.

Did they keep the pen functional with the capacitive keys?
Yes sir. Also, not sure if it was a feature before, but even with a third party keyboard, you can hover the pen & get an icon to open the hand writing input box. Very slick.
It'll get better over the next couple weeks as you build up your cache files and get everything tweaked just the way you want it. Enjoy & congrats on your new toy JK!

S5 tap'n
Will do & I am! Can't wait to see what a day of actual normal use brings!

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Question. People on another Forum are saying they are seeing a patch on their Verizon phones. Do you see a patch?

142683d1413994022t-does-your-verizon-note-4-have-patch-4patch02.jpg

142684d1413994024t-does-your-verizon-note-4-have-patch-4patch01.jpg
I was under the impression that had something to do with the antennae if you're referring to the tiny grey "Rubber" part in the not painted aluminum.

I see that in more than one place, but it's visible in review videos & everywhere else if you look close.

Sent from my Note 4
EDIT: I just looked closer at those pics. I'll check when I'm in better lighting.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Question. People on another Forum are saying they are seeing a patch on their Verizon phones. Do you see a patch?

142683d1413994022t-does-your-verizon-note-4-have-patch-4patch02.jpg

142684d1413994024t-does-your-verizon-note-4-have-patch-4patch01.jpg

Wow. Yeah. I have those. Not sure I'd call it a patch, but that tiny little thing is there everywhere that the tiny spec of plastic or whatever is in the aluminum. I'm not sure how long it would've taken me to notice that if you hadn't posted these high-res, close-up pics though. It's like 3/16" the long way and barely noticeable to the touch. I don't have anything that can measure how slight the raise of it is compared to the frame around it, but it's only even visible from certain angles in the right light.

Definitely not something that would've persuaded me to not by the device if I had even noticed it before, but your mileage may vary. I guess, if you're on the fence, it's best to check it out in-store first, but it's really nothing that I'll lose sleep over.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
Just played with one at the store and the Pen is not different in a better way from my Note 3. If I liked how that worked I'd be on a 4 now. I didn't like how you have to press just to write and not just to get thicker lines. I lift a little when writing an it would not get everything. Also, when I kept even pressure and ran all over the screen it would cut out and come back it. Mostly cut out in the middle of the screen. Is there a way to adjust the needed pressure of the pen or was that just an issue with those to floor models? I guess it could just be something to do with S Note too.

Forgot to check if you can switch it over to ART for ready before request processing. They didn't allow it with Kit Kat on the Note 3.

I was hoping for 64bit, but hopefully next year. A better pen, ART architecture, and the little boost in processor. With the pen as is I might stick with the 3 or slight chance of trying another brand. Apple has a big phone now, just kidding.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just played with one at the store and the Pen is not different in a better way from my Note 3. If I liked how that worked I'd be on a 4 now. I didn't like how you have to press just to write and not just to get thicker lines. I lift a little when writing an it would not get everything. Also, when I kept even pressure and ran all over the screen it would cut out and come back it. Mostly cut out in the middle of the screen. Is there a way to adjust the needed pressure of the pen or was that just an issue with those to floor models? I guess it could just be something to do with S Note too.

Forgot to check if you can switch it over to ART for ready before request processing. They didn't allow it with Kit Kat on the Note 3.

I was hoping for 64bit, but hopefully next year. A better pen, ART architecture, and the little boost in processor. With the pen as is I might stick with the 3 or slight chance of trying another brand. Apple has a big phone now, just kidding.
I tend to press quite hard when writing with a normal pen, so I haven't had the issue you mentioned with the floor model. I'll attempt to write a bit lighter later today and see if I can duplicate it on my brand new model. I'm not aware of a setting for the pressure required. The first thing I do when I get a new device (after logging in and starting app downloads, of course) is to go through ALL settings, so I'm fairly sure it's a case of it not being there and not me missing it.

As for ART, yes, it's possible to switch. My phone is currently optimizing apps after having restarted itself to switch to ART. Thanks for reminding me!

If you have other questions about the phone, feel free to ask and we'll dig deeper for you than you'd have time for in the store. I'm still loving the phone, but it's such a switch coming from the s4. It's definitely less of a switch for those of you already using a Note device.

EDIT: For those who want to switch to ART, here's the guide I used. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Change Runtime from Dalvik to ART

Long story short, enable developer options by tapping on build number 7 times, go into developer options, tap on "Select runtime system," and select ART.

The phone will reboot to make the switch and then optimize apps. Takes a while to optimize all 427 apps I have, so I'd definitely recommend doing this before installing all of your apps if you've just gotten the phone if you want it to be a bit quicker.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Let me know how the low pressure test goes.
I might have no choice on waiting now that I left the store some they only had two left at 10 am.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for the info. Let me know how the low pressure test goes.
I might have no choice on waiting now that I left the store some they only had two left at 10 am.

Seems to do alright to me. I really had to force myself to barely touch the screen though.

uploadfromtaptalk1414092899848.jpg

Forgive my poor penmanship.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: