Battery voltage drops seem unuusal

Obsidian...

Reaction score
Maybe I'm dreaming of the possibility, but I'm surprised that there are not (I couldn't find one) any apps made that can actually test an on-board battery's discharge rate. I mean the battery has a rating of 3220 milliamper hours, so it seems like someone would have made an app by now that can measure the load on the battery over several minutes or longer, and calculate if the battery is dropping at a normal rate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There are multiple apps that can do that, depending on what exactly you want measured.

Ampere is a basic app that measures the current discharge/charge rate and can tell if the battery is still good or not.

"Battery monitor widget" goes into much more detail

593e03332c0234730821e748f757ef2c.jpg

But my go to app has always been "Better Battery Stats". It is able to give you all the information. Checking to see deep sleep, and all other important factors when it comes to the battery and if the kernel or any apps are messing up the battery or if it is the battery itself

Obsidian...

Reaction score
I've never used an app that would show a graph like this, of the battery voltage.
Like others, ever since the Lollipop update in April 2015 (I think) my battery life stinks, as does my wife's and son's Note 4's
Anyway, does anyone know if these dropouts in voltage should be considered normal? The very first one was at 6am, and all I did was open a browser.
3a1666e3b8f27453d581f59110533391.jpg

All that is showing is your normal discharge rate. 4.2V is fully charged and 3.2V is drained. To see how load is effecting it you'd need to see how many amps are being pulled at a certain time.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly. That's what I was wondering.
I'll give those a try. Thanks for the info.!
I realize that the pic I sent was only showing voltage, but seeing those dropoffs made me suspicious.....I mean, it's not like I was running a blender off my phone. I didn't think that simply unlocking, and opening apps would cause them.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to use GSam, but don't remember it giving the info I'm looking for.
I'm no wizard, but here's what I was looking for, and correct me if I'm wrong.
If my battery is 3220mah, I believe that means it will provide the power needed for (examples)
3220ma for 1 hour,
Or
322ma for 10 hrs, etc etc.
So I figured that if one of these monitoring apps can accurately monitor this, it would tell me if the battery is up to par and the phone is screwed up and draining it fast, VS. the phone working normally on a faulty battery.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There are other ways you can get bad drain aside from a bad battery & hardware failure and that's an app or two that can be causing the significant battery drain that you're experiencing. It's a free app and after a couple of days usage (while using your device exactly the same way your normally would), will help to rule out a rouge app. It happens a lot more than you think.

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. But the main question here is do I have a failing/failed battery or not. I hate to purchase a new battery only to have it perform no better.
If it's hardware or a rogue app, but the battery is delivering what it should, then at least I'd know.

29% drop from 91% to 62% over 4.5 hrs. with very light use this afternoon, and I'm not so sure that Android system should be the top offender here, but it's been like this since the 5.0.1 update, and no change after the 5.1.1 update
8681018ad4b666902170d8c502cf076b.jpg

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's why I suggested GSam Battery monitor. It will rule out a rouge app before you put 15 bucks down on a replacement battery.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's why I suggested GSam Battery monitor. It will rule out a rouge app before you put 15 bucks down on a replacement battery.

S5 tap'n
I use Watch Dog when seeking out rogue apps and services. It shows cpu usage and with the battery dropping at times like it's powering a coffee pot that app might show what is going nuts. I keep an alert set up for heavy spikes and I get an alert a couple times a week that Android System has spiked to above 90% while the phone sleeps. I got it several times daily prior to 5.1, aka the first lollipop update and my battery life reflected it. T-Mobile released a 5 0.2 that solved it on my G2 but AT&T waited and released 5.1 that solved mine.
This problem reminds me of when Verizon pushed out its last update to my Rezound. It went from stellar with an extended battery to awful even with an extended battery. I replaced its extended battery thinking it was worn out but alas a new one was just as awful. It also would warm up above 100f, according to Gsam, with even simple usage and attempts at multi tasking would cause it to power down as a safety from overheating.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
@obsidian, Better Battery Stats says that it requires root, so I'm giving Battery Monitor Widget a try.
@cr6, I'm also re-trying GSam
Thanks for the input guys, however, even though both apps seem to give extremely detailed data, I'm not sure either that either is giving me (maybe I don't know how to read it) the simpler calculation that I'm wishing for.

And maybe what im looking for isn't an available piece of info., which is the total power consumed over a given time, leaving percentage of battery charge left.
Like this for a 3220mah battery:
Total 1610ma drawn over 10 hrs, leaving 50% battery level, (my math is probably wrong here) which in my feeble mind..... if my battery has 50% at that point, it would say that the battery is performing as it should.
Or, an app that could perform a 10 minute test, while putting a heavy load on the battery, showing if the battery is draining at the proper level.
Then, if the test says the battery is good, I could look for a rogue app or whatever.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Just make sure and use the GSam app for a couple days while using your device as normal, so as to get a good reading in case it is an app causing your battery drain.

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just make sure and use the GSam app for a couple days while using your device as normal, so as to get a good reading in case it is an app causing your battery drain.

S5 tap'n
I will, but I'm not sure if the detail is there to show me good or bad battery health, but I'll keep looking.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If it is an app, it WILL provide the detail. If it's not an app, it will also provide that detail. Which you can than use rule out, one way or the other, whether or not you need to purchase a new battery. Being that you can pick up an OEM replacement battery for less than 20 bucks, it won't be all that painful regardless.

S5 tap'n

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, that because I did not know the correct terminology to use in this thread to explain what I was looking for, I may have been asking for help in obtaining the info, in a confusing way.
I realized this morning, that what I am trying to get an answer to is whether my battery's "capacity" is anywhere near what it was when it was new.
I don't see anything within GSAM that will show capacity.
I do see that stat. is available in the 3C Battery Monitor Widget (it's not just a widget) (there is another brand with the same name also, that's why I specified 3C). Thanks for all of your input, and I'll report back after several charge/discharge cyles what this app reports my battery's capacity to be.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As was previously explained, you're worrying about "voltage" & "capacity", and that really isn't your problem. Your issue is battery life. Battery "capacity" is the terminology used for the size of your battery, posted in "mAh". mAh stands for milli Ampere hour or milli Amp hour. It is a measure of a battery's energy storage capacity.
If you're not experiencing the same "battery life" that you previously were, than you need to figure out what's draining your battery. It has nothing to do with "capacity" per se.