OverClocking 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

missp64

Reaction score
setcpu

i kIND of feel powerful ....to have the Skull stumpted...anyway this stuff is kool and its not a big deal running 1000 off and on. if you come up with any thoughts in the future on it i'd be interested to hear them. charlie

ps thanks for all your input for setcpu

mjforte

Reaction score
Question, someone told me that for your screen off profile you should always have 3 slots for the cpu to clock in between. Is this true?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Question, someone told me that for your screen off profile you should always have 3 slots for the cpu to clock in between. Is this true?

That's a new one on me. And I can't think of a single reason why the Android OS would need that. All the OS needs is enough speed to keep up with the background tasks. So you could set the clock to stay at 600Mhz (one slot) and it shouldn't care in the least. Now if you set the clock to stay at 125Mhz only, I could see that causing an issue ;)

wingdo

Reaction score

Never heard of this. What I do know is that when plugged into a dock the Droid will run with the 3rd slot as it's minimum speed and this cannot be changed.

mjforte

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the quick responses. I didn't think that sounded right but just wanted some clarification.

djgriffin

Reaction score
I have set the advanced tab section to 32000, 75, 0 , 50 but setcpu resets the advanced tab with each boot to 30000, 93, 0, 0. at boot. I have checked the set at boot tab when I reconfigure, but it always resets. Any suggestions of how to fix this?

jksell07

Reaction score
I have set the advanced tab section to 32000, 75, 0 , 50 but setcpu resets the advanced tab with each boot to 30000, 93, 0, 0. at boot. I have checked the set at boot tab when I reconfigure, but it always resets. Any suggestions of how to fix this?

Check out post #309 / page 31...

"You are actually dealing with a whole new issue that is a design flaw in SetCPU. The developer doesn't keep separate settings for each type of Governor. So as you switch between them, their min/max settings and difference between what is needed corrupts each other. Which is one of the reasons I stick with OnDemand across all profiles."

Do you have more than one governor setting amongst your profiles?

dancedroidGreat thread! I started out looking for info on SetCPU's advanced settings and ended up reading through this whole thread (which took the better part of the day). I learned a lot and was inspired enough to finally chime in.

I wanted to throw something else into the mix...Gingerbread.

I'm running LGBv1.2 with a Raidzero 1.1kernal(Standard/medium voltage?). When I'm really going at it I can kill my battery in half a day. Using SetCPU profiles I can make it last all day but I'm throttled back most of the day. Anything new for 2.3?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
dancedroidGreat thread! I started out looking for info on SetCPU's advanced settings and ended up reading through this whole thread (which took the better part of the day). I learned a lot and was inspired enough to finally chime in.

I wanted to throw something else into the mix...Gingerbread.

I'm running LGBv1.2 with a Raidzero 1.1kernal(Standard/medium voltage?). When I'm really going at it I can kill my battery in half a day. Using SetCPU profiles I can make it last all day but I'm throttled back most of the day. Anything new for 2.3?

I am impressed you were able to read it all without falling asleep ;)

Android OS 2.3 will be a bigger battery drainer than 2.2. The main reason is the amount of new code introduced that hasn't been optimized yet. Which is why most phone makers will wait for 2.4 before they release an update. 2.4 will be the fully optimized version of 2.3's new features plus the integration of 3.0s API calls for tablets.

djgriffin

Reaction score
Learning from the master!

Skull, I just wanted to let you know that I'm an instructor for EMS (Paramedics), I read all 61 pages and learned a great deal. This was my first attempt at rooting my phone and I am very happy. Thanks for this work, I have linked several friends to the tutorial!

Update:
I uninstalled Setcpu and went back to GPA 10 ROM from Pete which was the most stable for me (after trying 11 and 12). I then installed the slayher_7x1100LV_v1.6 and after rebooting I re-installed setcpu. The problems with setcpu were resolved. I am using "on demand" for all profiles. I am only using the "temp >44.6" (250/600) and "battery <40%"(250/600) profiles.
The slayher kernel brought the advanced settings to 32000,93,0,0 which I have stuck with for a few days of testing.
I also installed autoruns after reading one of your posts.

I did a Quadrant test and scored 1167 on the full bench test. Battery life has been averaging about 19-24 hours. I use an unusual battery scheme similar to EMS and Fire radio batteries. I use two standard batteries and a small external charger. When one is drained, I rotate the other into the phone. So each battery is used every other day. This has worked well for me.

Bat and CPU temps have all been less than 90 (F).

My only issue has been the loss of LED notifications (even tried some LED apps with no luck). I am still working on the LED issue, but my phone is like new and runs really fast.

Again, Many thanks to the instructor!!

Droid 1
ROM: GBA 10
Kernel: slayher_7x1100LV_v1.6

Last edited:
OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull, I just wanted to let you know that I'm an instructor for EMS (Paramedics), I read all 61 pages and learned a great deal. This was my first attempt at rooting my phone and I am very happy. Thanks for this work, I have linked several friends to the tutorial!

Update:
I uninstalled Setcpu and went back to GPA 10 ROM from Pete which was the most stable for me (after trying 11 and 12). I then installed the slayher_7x1100LV_v1.6 and after rebooting I re-installed setcpu. The problems with setcpu were resolved. I am using "on demand" for all profiles. I am only using the "temp >44.6" (250/600) and "battery <40%"(250/600) profiles.
The slayher kernel brought the advanced settings to 32000,93,0,0 which I have stuck with for a few days of testing.
I also installed autoruns after reading one of your posts.

I did a Quadrant test and scored 1167 on the full bench test. Battery life has been averaging about 19-24 hours. I use an unusual battery scheme similar to EMS and Fire radio batteries. I use two standard batteries and a small external charger. When one is drained, I rotate the other into the phone. So each battery is used every other day. This has worked well for me.

Bat and CPU temps have all been less than 90 (F).

My only issue has been the loss of LED notifications (even tried some LED apps with no luck). I am still working on the LED issue, but my phone is like new and runs really fast.

Again, Many thanks to the instructor!!

Droid 1
ROM: GBA 10
Kernel: slayher_7x1100LV_v1.6

Ok, one issue that may present itself later on as the batteries get older is the fact the profile in batterystats.bin will be built off of combined data. Which means if one battery starts getting weaker sooner, the OS will try to report the drainage based on the overall profile until it does a full battery check. This will show up as a sudden drop from say 60% full one second to showing 20% full the next. When you start to see that behavior, you may wish to delete batterystats.bin and let it rebuild with the new condition so you get a better idea of the drain rate.

Most of the Gingerbread ROMs built straight from AOSP show the LED issue. A few ROM makers that go beyond AOSP have tried to fix the issue with varying degrees of success.

If the LED and phone stability is important, I can highly recommend Sapphire 2.0.2 by cvpcs as a very stable Froyo 2.2 ROM. It has a very good set of extended features over AOSP built ROMs.

jksell07

Reaction score
"Most of the Gingerbread ROMs built straight from AOSP show the LED issue. A few ROM makers that go beyond AOSP have tried to fix the issue with varying degrees of success.

If the LED and phone stability is important, I can highly recommend Sapphire 2.0.2 by cvpcs as a very stable Froyo 2.2 ROM. It has a very good set of extended features over AOSP built ROMs.[/QUOTE]"

The only Gingerbread rom I've tried is liquid's and I haven't had any notification problems.

Last edited:

jksell07

Reaction score
I am impressed you were able to read it all without falling asleep ;)

Android OS 2.3 will be a bigger battery drainer than 2.2. The main reason is the amount of new code introduced that hasn't been optimized yet. Which is why most phone makers will wait for 2.4 before they release an update. 2.4 will be the fully optimized version of 2.3's new features plus the integration of 3.0s API calls for tablets.

I took it in a little at a time...read a few pages, mess with my phone...read some more, eat some lunch...

As for Gingerbread's bigger battery drain, I definitely can tell. It's manageable tho. My droid is running the smoothest it ever has so its worth it.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
"Most of the Gingerbread ROMs built straight from AOSP show the LED issue. A few ROM makers that go beyond AOSP have tried to fix the issue with varying degrees of success.

If the LED and phone stability is important, I can highly recommend Sapphire 2.0.2 by cvpcs as a very stable Froyo 2.2 ROM. It has a very good set of extended features over AOSP built ROMs.
"

The only Gingerbread rom I've tried is liquid's and I haven't had any notification problems.

That's because Liquid's ROM isn't straight AOSP. It is modified :)

Dunnski21

Reaction score
Hey Skull One,

I just flashed Peter's GPA12 and his new 1ghz kernel. On his blog he posted the actual voltages for each slot, for example the 225mhz slot was 32 volts,and the 1 ghz slot was 68 volts.

I understand the numbers for the most part, but I want a comparison to other kernels. I have not found any statistics anywhere on other kernels' voltages, just the fact that they are "low" or "Ultra-low".

I just came from MetickMod 1.0 with chevy's ulv 1ghz, and I was getting 14-18 hours on a school day. Today is my birthday and i got an extended life battery, and i am hoping peter's new kernel won't use more battery compared to chevy's.

let me know if you know where I can find other kernel's voltages.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Hey Skull One,

I just flashed Peter's GPA12 and his new 1ghz kernel. On his blog he posted the actual voltages for each slot, for example the 225mhz slot was 32 volts,and the 1 ghz slot was 68 volts.

I understand the numbers for the most part, but I want a comparison to other kernels. I have not found any statistics anywhere on other kernels' voltages, just the fact that they are "low" or "Ultra-low".

I just came from MetickMod 1.0 with chevy's ulv 1ghz, and I was getting 14-18 hours on a school day. Today is my birthday and i got an extended life battery, and i am hoping peter's new kernel won't use more battery compared to chevy's.

let me know if you know where I can find other kernel's voltages.

68 Volts? That kind of power drain would kill the battery in 10 minutes or less. The number might be the hex value that the phone uses to calculate the actual voltage but it doubt it is the actual Voltage.

And very few kernel makers publish their numbers used for voltage. I gave up on trying to collect that information last July. Most developers consider it a "trade secret" for some odd reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.