Should you overvolt if you overclock?

K1ick

Reaction score
Ok so i have tried doing some research on this topic but most of the forums i have looked at are on undervolting to save battery. My question is, would it be a good idea to overvolt my phone slightly when i have it overclocked? For example, right now my phone is overclocked to 1400 MHz but the CPU voltage is still at the same as it would be if it were clocked at 1200 MHz, which is 1398 mV. Would increasing the voltage to say 1415 mV do anything? Would the added voltage provide a performance increase or would it be basically useless? Thanks!

moset

Reaction score
I think basically each copy of a CPU comes off the line a bit different so you have to see what works for you (your phone) but you can damage it if you're not careful. There are tools (apps) that will help with detailed monitoring.
Have fun!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
K

K1ick

Reaction score
All right sweet, thanks for the info, guess its time for some testing then.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Watch the heat!

I once forgot that I had my d2 overclocked/volted (1400mhz I forgot how overvolted) and it got so hot while watching netflix that it actually shut off. I believe it was 130 degrees Fahrenheit

Sent from my vzw Galaxy Note 2

OP
K

K1ick

Reaction score
Watch the heat!

Ya if i keep my phone on a cool surface then i can keep it at around 113 degrees... I'm running an application that uses my cpu to complete tasks so that is why it stays hot and why i wanted to know if overvolting would increase performance.

moset

Reaction score
I haven't seen temps like that since over clocking and under voting my DROID.

I like cool, I not in that big a hurry anymore.

:)

B-Unit

Reaction score
Short Answer: If its stable, no.

Long Ansswer: Voltage and frequency relate in such a way that (dependent upon the physical limits of the chip) higher voltage can enable higher frequency. When overclocking, adding voltage is used as a way to possibly access frequencys that cannot run stabily at stock voltages. If the chip already runs (stabily) at a given overclock, then it does not need additional voltage, and infact, is a good idea to see how low you can set the voltage (better battery life/less heat/less wear) Stability testing is a vital part of any overclocking adventure.

EDIT: As an example, when I am overclocking my D4, I run at 1395Mhz and 1325mv, a decrease from where Motorola runs it for 1200Mhz.