My Wife's Note 4 Stuck On Boot Scree

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife and I both have Note 4's. Today hers shut off by itself, and will not start up. It's just stuck on the boot screen shown in the image.
I've cleared cache, and done an FDR, but it didn't help.
I see numerous sites online talking about re-installing the stock firmware, but this is out of my comfort zone, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
961e6b276259e973e6d077e183ff5c7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Power down pull battery and let sit for 15 minutes then try.... Also verify battery is good and charged..

Sounds like it may have gotten stuck during an update.

Samsung Note 7.5

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did pull the battery, and installed my 65% charged battery in her phone, no luck.
I also did leave it off for an hour, but with battery IN.
You still think I should try it with the battery out?
Also, I cannot prove there were no updates, mine has none showing up as available.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I did pull the battery, and installed my 65% charged battery in her phone, no luck.
I also did leave it off for an hour, but with battery IN.
You still think I should try it with the battery out?
Also, I cannot prove there were no updates, mine has none showing up as available.
I think at this point you will need to install the stock firmware.... Try plugging it into a PC and see if you can get the Verizon update assistant to start on PC. If not we will have to go another route, either ODIN or possibly Kies and trust me it sounds much worst than it is.

Samsung Note 7.5

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plugging her Note4 did nothing. I assume that it would be zero value plugging my Note4 in to the PC to get the Verizon Upgrade Assistant going, right?

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Plugging her Note4 did nothing. I assume that it would be zero value plugging my Note4 in to the PC to get the Verdon Upgrade Assistant going, right?

Yes most likely. Looks like it will be either Kies or Odin. Do some reading on both and see which you feel more comfortable with.

Samsung Note 7.5

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've installed Kies, but since the phone doesn't boot, I can't see that it's doing anything. Do I have to boot to recovery?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I've installed Kies, but since the phone doesn't boot, I can't see that it's doing anything. Do I have to boot to recovery?

You may have to be in download mode.. Which is volume down, power and home all at same time. To be honest I don't recall how to do it in Kies and I'm even a little foggy on Odin. Try looking to see if any videos come up on YouTube. I'm sure there has to be a tutorial out there somewhere.

Samsung Note 7.5

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My local Best Buy has a Samsung rep who had to install the stock firmware on my N5. If you can find a Samsung rep near you, they should be able to install it for you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
You may have to be in download mode.. Which is volume down, power and home all at same time. To be honest I don't recall how to do it in Kies and I'm even a little foggy on Odin. Try looking to see if any videos come up on YouTube. I'm sure there has to be a tutorial out there somewhere.

Samsung Note 7.5

Aw geeez. I didn't even think of that. I played around in different recovery options, and Kies does not see the device.
I'll try tomorrow going into download mode.
And I'll search online if that doesn't work.
Thanks for the assistance!

Last edited:
OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried using Kies, with the phone in download mode, and Kies knows something is connected, but cannot determine what.
I tried the device initialization, but it asks for a model # (I have) & a serial number (do not have). You tube shows Kies asking for the IMEI, but for these phones (Verizon maybe) it wants the serial # and it's not available to me.
Then I moved on to attempting to flash the firmware using Odin, and while Odin goes through the entire process, and it is happy, the Note 4 is not. No change.

Thanks for the assistance, but I think this phone is toast.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's where it should be, but only the Model # and the IMEI is there. The Internets seem to concur that it is a Verizon thing to not show it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I tried using Kies, with the phone in download mode, and Kies knows something is connected, but cannot determine what.
I tried the device initialization, but it asks for a model # (I have) & a serial number (do not have). You tube shows Kies asking for the IMEI, but for these phones (Verizon maybe) it wants the serial # and it's not available to me.
Then I moved on to attempting to flash the firmware using Odin, and while Odin goes through the entire process, and it is happy, the Note 4 is not. No change.

Thanks for the assistance, but I think this phone is toast.

That is very odd. Sounds like the pit file is corrupted. Was that a rooted phone?

Samsung Note 7.5

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is very odd. Sounds like the pit file is corrupted. Was that a rooted phone?

Samsung Note 7.5
No, not rooted. She said that the phone started lagging badly a few days prior.

She pays for the WPP (wireless phone protection), which excludes this type of issue which is just plain defect (not lost, stolen, or broken).
However, Verizon offered her a refurbished Note 4 for $149.00.
She has two payment plan payments remaining. So that's the route she's taking, which is what I would've done.

We were both planning on upgrading to the Note7, but with it's demise, now we will wait to see what Samsung will do with the Note line.
We both love our Note 4's, and can live with them for a while longer, while losing the monthly phone payments for a while will be nice too.