Your Droid Physical Keyboard

cyclwestks

Reaction score
I can't stand the bubbly keyboard on the replacement Droid, & it's definetly not the D2 keyboard.

notaaron

Reaction score
Well, I am on my second droid since Feb and I am about to do a warranty claim on it. The keyboard on both of my droids started out flat as ever, and with repeated use and HEAT, the keyboard glue has released and is starting to lift off. Anyone who got a Droid with a raised keyboard was given a refurb unit, or their phone sat in a VERY HOT warehouse/truck on its way to your local verizon store. NO, there are not two keyboard types on the droid, just poor quality adhesive. Enough of discussing this, anyone reached a conclusion? I don't want this issue on my third droid as well.

velocity92c

Reaction score
The keys may become more bubbled over time, but there are definitely 2 different models of Droids.. one with raised keys and one completely flat. I had the raised one and VERY much preferred it over the flat one, but the adhesive that holds the keyboard on started coming off under the spacebar and the whole keyboard bubbled up a bit. It was very annoying, but that phone got dropped into the toilet so a new one is on the way anyway. I really hope it's not the flat version.

Xemnova

Reaction score
I looked at my Droid at the same angle as the pictures and noticed they were raised. I guess my previous post (different thread) about loving the flat keyboard over the hard keyboard was wrong xD Woops. I just figured mine was just like everyone else and the keyboard was flat haha I guess I don't know why people complained about the flat keyboard.

BryanWatkins

Reaction score
I have noticed something very interesting as I read through this thread. I just received my replacement droid from Asurion today only to find it has a flat keyboard.. at first I got pretty upset as I too am one of those that had a raised keyboard from day 1 (looks exactly like the one pictured at first)... until I walked into a dark room with both phones side by side... my new flat keyboard has backlit letters on the keyboard! my raised keyboard is totally dark and utterly useless in a dark room (a feature flaw that I have cursed this phone for many times as I hate, and can't seem to use, the on screen keyboard). The picture looks like my broken droid is dimly lit.. but it is just a reflection from the other lights in the room... I assure you they are COMPLETELY dark. There are most definitely two different styles of keyboard.. unless my backlight has been broken from the start. How about the rest of you raised letter people? Do you have a backlit keyboard?

keyboard.jpg

keyboard2.jpg

backlight.jpg

jpblock82

Reaction score
Bubbled (raised) keyboard here... got mine first week of Dec 09... weirdness... never new there was a difference, glad I got the raised.. flat looks lame

Nibbz

Reaction score
how do you know if hey are raised or not? me and my mom both got our droids on june 12th, hers seem more flat, mine raised, they dont look any different but i definitely feel a difference, i dunno if its just becuse i use my keyboard more than she does or what.

edit: looked at the pics. upon review, mine are neither bubbled nor flat. not that raised, but not that flat lol

Last edited:

C4ptain

Reaction score
First droid Nov-09 was raised, can't remember if it was backlit. Replacement droid July-'10 and the FIRST thing I noticed was the flat keyboard. They definitely changed glues and/or styles. I like the flat better because the bubbly one sucked.

caseyc

Reaction score
mines completely flat and and lights up pretty bright, dec 09 is when i got it. Buddy has a bubble one but i dont know if its backlit or not, ill ask him then post back.

Ataranine

Reaction score
My keyboard used to be flat and I could type fast as hell, now the plastic is raising really high up off the keys and it makes it very hard to type.
The keyboard has horrible build quality.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
My keyboard used to be flat and I could type fast as hell, now the plastic is raising really high up off the keys and it makes it very hard to type.
The keyboard has horrible build quality.

THIS. my last droid would make double letters almost every time i typed a letter, sometimes even quadruple letters

pulptastic

Reaction score
I've had to RMA two droids due to keyboard issues. The first sloped down on the bottom row making space bar nearly unusable (very hard to push).

The second one started off flat and over time rounded itself out nicely (though not as nice as the OP!!), very easy to type on, but eventually began to de-adhere from the unit so there was extra travel and slop, making it harder to type.

Unrelated side note, I am working on my third RMA now, for a sticking power button that no longer functions...

Syraz

Reaction score
first was bubbles/raised, 2nd is flat, when 3rd comes who knows...but damn well better not have any issues

Ataranine

Reaction score
I've had to RMA two droids due to keyboard issues. The first sloped down on the bottom row making space bar nearly unusable (very hard to push).

The second one started off flat and over time rounded itself out nicely (though not as nice as the OP!!), very easy to type on, but eventually began to de-adhere from the unit so there was extra travel and slop, making it harder to type.

Unrelated side note, I am working on my third RMA now, for a sticking power button that no longer functions...
Yes, de-adhere, that's the word I was looking for. Mine has ridiculously de-adhered.