YEAH baby! My Demo will be here today!

bmw_speeder

Reaction score
Did you ever get that to work, with the inbound video conference via Skype? I have one but haven't installed Skype yet... want to keep it as clean as possible for as long as possible... natural tendency is to download and test everything... makes for a dirty environment...

WorldofJohnboy, I would like to know if is working, and if it's video feature works. Also, does the wifi tether to your laptop work? Thanks, bro. I'm excited too.

Skype is working, but I can't seem to get a video chat option on a call. I am going to have my wife "video call" me to my phone to see if that works.

I'm not sure what the "wifi tether" means... are you talking about the WiFi Hotspot or the USB Tethering to a laptop using the "sync/charge" cable? I turned on the Mobile Hotspot feature on and it powered right up (though I didn't connect to it, everything appears to be in order). The USB tethering also appears to work as I hooked it into my laptop and it recognized the phone as a new network connection right away. I disabled my WiFi connection on my laptop and was still able to browse the internet. It was a surprise, as I didn't think that VZW was doing tethered connections any more.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Did you ever get that to work, with the inbound video conference via Skype? I have one but haven't installed Skype yet... want to keep it as clean as possible for as long as possible... natural tendency is to download and test everything... makes for a dirty environment...

No. Video Skype is not yet functional. To my knowledge, the Dev's over at Skype are still trying to fix the kinks out.

angel35

Reaction score
My stock thunderbolt battery is real bad it gos from 100% to 30%in no time:icon_evil: Its in Moderate use. I think its the battery.Can you check out if its abad battery.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
My stock thunderbolt battery is real bad it gos from 100% to 30%in no time:icon_evil: Its in Moderate use. I think its the battery.Can you check out if its abad battery.

I can almost say with complete certainty that it's either your phone or your battery. Someone else mentioned taking the phone in to a VZW and they found some running apps that they stopped and the battery life improved.

EdForsythe

Reaction score
So, just did a factory reset of the phone. No "native" SWYPE is installed, so you will have to do a beta install or use SlideIT.

Also, the phone storage now shows 2.49GB of internal storage space left, 29.71GB on the SD Card (which was formatted).

This is the one thing that does concern me. 2 and a half gigs of internal storage is ten times what I have on my D1, but still, 5 and a half gigs for the OS and sense? Oy. Why bother saying you have 8gbs of onboard storage?

It's somewhat false advertisement...They can tell you the phone has a capacity of 8GB, but only 3GB is usable for your needs. It shouldn't be advertised as that much when in reality only 1/4 is usable.
FWIW, XP Pro on my PC uses 6.46 GB. I'm going to check Win7 Ultimate on my laptop.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Just an update on the whole "Using your car stereo to make phone calls" issue that I was having before:

My extension cable with Microphone arrived today (didn't know that it was from Hong Kong)!

I called my wife from my phone while it was in the Car Dock and she could hear me perfectly! Also, I noticed that the button on the mic cable will play/pause music when I press it! Now I just have to figure out a way to route the cables so that it remains a "clean" look and I am good to go until (hopefully) a hotfix is released.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Or just get the Jupiter jack, and be done with it... I have it and it works great!

That's good for those that don't have the AUX port on their car stereos, but I don't like the sound quality degredation using a FM modulator. What I purchased is basically a wired version of the Jupiter jack and has bettery quality sound.

Joeteck

Reaction score
Or just get the Jupiter jack, and be done with it... I have it and it works great!

That's good for those that don't have the AUX port on their car stereos, but I don't like the sound quality degredation using a FM modulator. What I purchased is basically a wired version of the Jupiter jack and has bettery quality sound.

But, Tethered....

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score

But, Tethered....

Yup... Tethered is always better than wireless in some/many ways, in this case, audio quality. In the case of BT headsets, it is battery life. When talking about Computers, wired connections are always more stable and typically a lot faster connections than wireless.

The big downfall is all the wires being an eyesore, but I took special care to hide my wires in my car, it barely looks like there are any wires!:)

Joeteck

Reaction score

But, Tethered....

Yup... Tethered is always better than wireless in some/many ways, in this case, audio quality. In the case of BT headsets, it is battery life. When talking about Computers, wired connections are always more stable and typically a lot faster connections than wireless.

The big downfall is all the wires being an eyesore, but I took special care to hide my wires in my car, it barely looks like there are any wires!:)

Dude...lol, its 8 inches away tops 12 inches, how bad can the audio be?? You're too funny...

Or buy a radio with bluetooth built in, and you're golden as well...

No need to reinvent the wheel... lol

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
Dude...lol, its 8 inches away tops 12 inches, how bad can the audio be?? You're too funny...

Distance has nothing to do with the audio degredation. A 3.5mm stereo cable sounds better than any FM transmission no matter if it is a local radio station or a battery operated transmitter plugged into your phone.

Plus, with a 3.5mm cable, you can hook up a ground loop isolator and get rid of the 'hum' if you are charging your phone, whereas with a FM transmitter you cannot.

Joeteck

Reaction score

Distance has nothing to do with the audio degredation. A 3.5mm stereo cable sounds better than any FM transmission no matter if it is a local radio station or a battery operated transmitter plugged into your phone.

Plus, with a 3.5mm cable, you can hook up a ground loop isolator and get rid of the 'hum' if you are charging your phone, whereas with a FM transmitter you cannot.

I never get a hum with my installations... However to each their own... I prefer the cleaner looking wireless method. ;)

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
I never get a hum with my installations... However to each their own... I prefer the cleaner looking wireless method. ;)

My point was IF you get a hum on a wireless connection, you have no way of removing it with an isolator.

I find the audio quality degrades a lot when using a FM transmitter vs. the Aux 3.5mm cable. Besides, why wouldn't I use the Aux port on my stock stereo if I have it available? That's like using a wireless N connection when I have a Gigabit CAT6 LAN connection right there for me to use. Better and more reliable.

Maybe you can't hear the difference, but I can... as you said, to each their own.

henry3

Reaction score
mobile hotspot is on it since there were many rumors (and the Best Buy ad correction in store) stating it wouldn't make it to the phone. Skype functionality isn't much of a problem (Skype was supposed to be updated Feb 28th... I wonder what came of that?) just a simple update after the phone comes out.