[YAY] Opera Mini 5 released in beta

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
pages don't always display properly but I think the browser has a lot of growth potential... I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this is definitely the fastest browser I have used on my android (faster load and scroll).

jocko1960

Reaction score
Had Opera on my BB. Was never impressed with it. Always went back to the stock browser.
To each his own though as some people seemed to prefer Opera.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Had Opera on my BB. Was never impressed with it. Always went back to the stock browser.
To each his own though as some people seemed to prefer Opera.

In its defense, Opera wasnt that great on the BB. Especially the Storm as it was not made for a touchscreen device at the time. This is specifically geared to the Android and IMO is better than anything other than the stock browser perhaps. Pinch/zoom would put it over the top.

(yes I know dolphin and xscope both have that, but I dont like either of them particularly)

rbbrock

Reaction score
The speed is amazing. Pinch to zoom is just eye (finger?) candy to me, tap to zoom works just fine in most situations. However, of the pages I visited every one had elements that displayed weirdly, and a couple pages were downright unreadable the way Opera rendered them. It definitely has potential, but needs a lot more work on getting things laid out correctly.

Palmyra

Reaction score
One small problem.

I'd give Opera a grade of 100 but for one thing. The sports section is Euro centric, a common problem with software from Europe. I have no interest in soccer, handball???, and the like.

Has anyone figured a way to get US coverage as a default?

JayMonster

Reaction score
I guess I am one of only a small group of people that hate Opera and am more than willing to admit it. It sucks on the desktop, and nothing it does makes me want to own it on a mobile either. There is a reason that it took Google Chrome a mere 2 days to surpass Opera in marketshare.

I understand (sort of) why this was a darling on WinMo phones, since Microsoft last updated IE for WinMo somewhere around... 2001? But much line TouchWiz... just because it (marginally) improved WinMo... doesn't mean it should be used elsewhere.

Just my couple of copper coins. And before anybody goes there... I don't "hate" Opera... I just don't like it for me.

nygh

Reaction score
One question...how do I make this my default browser?!

Technoman

Reaction score
Have Opera on an Archos Multi-Media device that I bought several years back. Worked OK, but was never impressed. I would not choose it over even the stock browser, as it has rendering issues on far too many sites.

lennywc

Reaction score
Opera mini has a hell of a long way to go. Won't even play youtube Videos. Uninstalled. Why is opera even releasing a beta, opera has been In The browser market forever, they even have a version for linux, why do they even need to develope for the android os? I would think they have already been there and done that. There seems to be a lot of foot dragging and half hearted development attempts for the android system. Maybe developers don't want anything to do with google but are being dragged into this android market out of financial neccessity.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Lenny i highly doubt that because if they didnt want anything to do with it they wouldnt be involved. Im sure it sucks and thats why its a Beta version and not a full fledged release. Im personally not a fan of Opera on PC so i probably wont be a fan of it on my phone either. My prefrence for now remains to be Dolphin Browser until 2.1 update comes out and then i will go back to the factory browser.

pilot25

Reaction score
I like the speed of the browser but it doesn't open pages properly. Example is this site in mobile. It doesn't display more than the login. Fast but mostly useless.

ghdesign

Reaction score
initially I thought this Opera browser was great and agree that it is fast... however the mobile version of my personal business website that I designed and optimized for the Android phones is not recognizing the fact that it is coming from a mobile device, thus no longer auto redirecting to the proper page. (if that makes sense)

Now it just loads the full site and it's slow and choppy.

*I KNOW THIS IS ONLY BETA* but I would really rather not have to make a note to all of my clients that if they visit my site on their Android phones that they will have to use the default web browser, but instead the developers of Opera will take note of this and be sure the browser correctly auto detects mobile devices in the same way as the default browser. I did adjust and test it with all of the settings, however my site still came up garbled.

Very good start though... I love the speed in loading pages like facebook and yahoo... but it's coming up with different "mobile" versions of yahoo, gmail and other sites that makes it difficult to navigate through on the Droid.

I didn't experiment with ALL of the sites I normally visit on my phone, but just the 3 or 4 most common. Facebook mobile gets an A+ from me for load speed and presentation, but the touch version seems slower to load than the normal browser. Could be a cache thing too... I don't know.

Not sold on it yet... looking forward to the full version whenever it is available. Great look with the start page and I like the controls at the bottom, especially the forward button being right there.

DROIDsballs

Reaction score
Is there a way to set bookmark shortcuts on the honescreen and have them open in opera? Oh how I cant stand the native browser.

superglen99

Reaction score
I have an issue with opera trying to get into hotmail, every time I go to enter my username as soon as I click the password box the username dissapears and the website reloads. I tried entering the password first, then the username but as soon as I go to click log in, same thing. my username is erased and the page relaods. I tried like 4 times both mobile and non mobile verions from my droid, anybody have this or know a fix?