Yahoo mail issue.....intermittent

Reaction score
From all that I understand, from attempting to get Yahoo to work correctly through POP3 for years, the only way to use it reliably is to pay for it. A lot of people can't even get shoddy mail coverage with a free Yahoo account. =\

There USED to be a work around by creating your Yahoo through Asia, but I think they might have stopped that too.

I get outages on BOTH yahoo and earthlink. In fact, today I'm experiencing one of these long outages going on 8 plus hours now. I'm not receiving email from earthlink or yahoo.

Reaction score
I get outages on BOTH yahoo and earthlink. In fact, today I'm experiencing one of these long outages going on 8 plus hours now. I'm not receiving email from earthlink or yahoo.

Okay, after having no email from both earthlink and Yahoo for 9 hours I decided to do a complete power shut down on the Droid. After doing this and going into each email account to press refresh I was finally able get my emails. That was fairly lame.

That reminds me, about a week ago my Droid just died. Nothing I would do would power it up. At first I thought the battery was dead, but I was puzzled by the fact that the battery said 50% moments before dying on me. Anyway, for about half the day I had no phone. I was at work, busy. People were trying to reach me and I had to explain my cell was dead. The charger wasn't making it turn on. Then after about 5 hours of this I thought that, maybe, removing the battery would work. It did.

So, does this mean these episodes of rebooting and removing the battery are prelude to what the next two years will be like for me?

I wonder if the Blackberry is this retarded. I think the Droid is aimed more the 17 year old kids more than anything else.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Okay, after having no email from both earthlink and Yahoo for 9 hours I decided to do a complete power shut down on the Droid. After doing this and going into each email account to press refresh I was finally able get my emails. That was fairly lame.

That reminds me, about a week ago my Droid just died. Nothing I would do would power it up. At first I thought the battery was dead, but I was puzzled by the fact that the battery said 50% moments before dying on me. Anyway, for about half the day I had no phone. I was at work, busy. People were trying to reach me and I had to explain my cell was dead. The charger wasn't making it turn on. Then after about 5 hours of this I thought that, maybe, removing the battery would work. It did.

So, does this mean these episodes of rebooting and removing the battery are prelude to what the next two years will be like for me?

I wonder if the Blackberry is this retarded. I think the Droid is aimed more the 17 year old kids more than anything else.

While I understand your frustration at this moment, I don't think all you are saying is very fair.

Yahoo being Yahoo, I won't go into that any further. Earthlink and as I said earlier, work mail, might be a different story. But there are limitations to POP mail, regardless of carrier.

The problem is: Android is still very new and young in it's career as an OS and it's doing pretty well considering what it's up against.

Also Moto hasn't been known for their great hardware design prior to this phone.

In all actuality, the phone has many bugs, but I was aware as were many, many other consumers because we looked further into it. This isn't a cheap phone, so I would hope you would have looked into consumer reviews prior to making that purchase. Not sure if you did, but I think you would be more aware of the limitations... Especially the ones you are facing.

Email is a touchy subject. You can't always be upset if the phone isn't getting all POP mail, some of it's beyond Moto/Verizons/Googles control. I would be much happier if I saw you complaining about something related to just it's abilities, like No Speedial or No Sound Profiles.

As with any electrical device when something isn't working correctly, you should always remove the power and reapply it before you assume something is wrong with it. Sometimes you need to properly clear the internal memory because it does, with time, get bogged down. You should be power cycling the phone at least every couple of days, just like you should be doing with your computer or even your tv.

It's just how these things work.

arbs

Reaction score
Free Yahoo POP3

Yahoo does work better with POP3 and there is a way to get POP3 WITHOUT signing up for their paid service. You are going to have to convert your account to their Asia network, but you shouldn't notice any difference. Don't worry, its not going to change the language or anything. Do this:

-Sign in at mail.yahoo.com
-Click Options in the top right, then Mail Options from the drop down.
-Then My Account at the very top next to the Yahoo Mail symbol.
(Will then take you to another screen to log in again)
-Sign in again.
-Under Account Settings heading, click on Set Language, site, and time zone.
-From drop down box choose Yahoo! Asia, you wont have to change anything else here.
-Click Finished
-Sign out of My Account
-Sign out of Yahoo mail.
-Sign back in to mail.yahoo.com
-Click Options button in top right again, choose Mail Options from the drop down.
-Now on the menu on the left, you should be able to click POP and Forwarding.
-Since we are now on the Asia network, you will see a link that says Set up or edit POP & Forwarding.
-Now just follow along the POP settings, set it up on your Droid, and now you're set.

Reaction score
...As with any electrical device when something isn't working correctly, you should always remove the power and reapply it before you assume something is wrong with it. Sometimes you need to properly clear the internal memory because it does, with time, get bogged down. You should be power cycling the phone at least every couple of days, just like you should be doing with your computer or even your tv.

It's probably a good idea to reinstall the operating system periodically as well.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
...As with any electrical device when something isn't working correctly, you should always remove the power and reapply it before you assume something is wrong with it. Sometimes you need to properly clear the internal memory because it does, with time, get bogged down. You should be power cycling the phone at least every couple of days, just like you should be doing with your computer or even your tv.

It's probably a good idea to reinstall the operating system periodically as well.

Was this intended to sound smart assed?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yahoo does work better with POP3 and there is a way to get POP3 WITHOUT signing up for their paid service. You are going to have to convert your account to their Asia network, but you shouldn't notice any difference. Don't worry, its not going to change the language or anything. Do this:

-Sign in at mail.yahoo.com
-Click Options in the top right, then Mail Options from the drop down.
-Then My Account at the very top next to the Yahoo Mail symbol.
(Will then take you to another screen to log in again)
-Sign in again.
-Under Account Settings heading, click on Set Language, site, and time zone.
-From drop down box choose Yahoo! Asia, you wont have to change anything else here.
-Click Finished
-Sign out of My Account
-Sign out of Yahoo mail.
-Sign back in to mail.yahoo.com
-Click Options button in top right again, choose Mail Options from the drop down.
-Now on the menu on the left, you should be able to click POP and Forwarding.
-Since we are now on the Asia network, you will see a link that says Set up or edit POP & Forwarding.
-Now just follow along the POP settings, set it up on your Droid, and now you're set.

I tried to walk through this a couple times and when I switch to the Asia network I don't even get the POP option. Do you by chance might know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Reaction score

It helped with Windows ME quite a lot.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
It helped with Windows ME quite a lot.

That didn't answer the question I asked.

Because that wasn't how I was coming at you, nor did I intend for you to take my response that way.

I'm sorry you have issues with Yahoo and other POP mail accounts, but there is a reason and most POP mail programs mention the limitation. I'm all for people finding a working solution but I walked through the steps offered in this thread, still didn't produce a working solution, which is the answer I gave you in the first place.

Yahoo simply put will give you shoddy POP service because they want you to pay for that service. Knowing that, which you should have when you ran into problems with Yahoo in the first place by doing internet searches, you wouldn't be so upset when the free service gave you a problem.

If you don't want thought out answers, I can always remind myself to throw you a stock answer like "TRY k_9!!@212!". Better yet, I'll just ignore your threads.

Good look and I really do how you get this figured out, but I'm not going to sling mud back and forth with you.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
That was mostly from memory and clicking around in my Yahoo...I was able to find this out there though. Sajeev Nair: POP3 Access in Yahoo Mail Free

=\ Why don't I get that option? It's there when I am service in the US, but I get the "Sign up for Mail Plus, etc". As soon as I swap to Asia it disappears completely. Must investigate and I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again.

rayvincent

Reaction score
It's the WIFI,
when droid is connected to WIFI the yahoo mail (within the email icon) gaffs up.
gives message incorrect password or username, disconnect from WIFI and try to connect, it works every time for me.
hopefully they are looking into this.

xtreme

Reaction score
Also, before you pay for such services you should try to set up your Yahoo account via IMAP following the next steps:
- Go to mail icon
- Add account
- Enter email address in email address filed ([email protected])
- Enter password at password field
- Select MANUAL SETUP not next
- Select IMAP
* username= [email protected]
* password = yourpassword
* IMAP server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
* port = 143
* security = none
* optional = blank
- Select NEXT
You will then be prompted to sign in do so.
Will then be taken to the SMTP settings which only prompts (going form memory) you for address which is smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com. leave the port as is. Then select NEXT. Sign in. Name your account and that’s it.