Yahoo Email?

Tony42273

Reaction score
Thanks..

Thanks Mule, I was gonna ask the same question....does anyone have the answer? Anne, good try though..thanks a million

sun-sense

Reaction score
How to set up Yahoo! IMAP email (non-root solution)

This does not require Yahoo! Plus Mail, the paid service of Yahoo! mail.
1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Email
3. Touch Manual Setup at the bottom left corner
- Select the IMAP option
4. In the incoming server settings, enter the details as follows:
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address)
Password: enter your yahoo password
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 143
Security Type: None
IMAP Path Prefix: leave blank
5. Touch next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 587
Security Type: None (Checkmark “required sign-in”)
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address again)
Password: enter your yahoo email password again:-
6. Touch Next
7. Fill out your personal information (Name etc.)
(If you are having problems be sure that WiFi is OFF then try again)

Hmmm...nice unencrypted connection. Try this instead:-

1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Email (I already have an account, so I would select hard key, then accounts, then hard key, add account)
- Select the IMAP option
Username: username to the left of the @ symbol
IMAP Server: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993
Security Type: SSL (Accept all certificates)
5. Touch next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 465
Security Type: SSL
6. Touch Next

You should now have SSL encrypted end to end connections. This is how I setup mine in 2.01 and it still works for 2.1.

YMMV

Last edited:

Tony42273

Reaction score
HeLp

I think I'm doing something wrong...on the Droid I cannot see the "manual setup" in bottom left hand corner....or step 3 below

[qAnneDroid;389589uote=]

How to set up Yahoo! IMAP email (non-root solution)

This does not require Yahoo! Plus Mail, the paid service of Yahoo! mail.
2. Touch Email
- Select the IMAP option
6. Touch Next

Hmmm...nice unencrypted connection. Try this instead:-

2. Touch Email
- Select the IMAP option
IMAP Server: imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com
Security Type: SSL (Accept all certificates)
SMTP: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Security Type: SSL
6. Touch Next

You should now have SSL encrypted end to end connections. This is how I setup mine in 2.01 and it still works for 2.1.

YMMV
[/QUOTE]

sun-sense

Reaction score
(I already have an account, so I would select 2nd left hard key, then accounts, then 2nd left hard key, add account).

Then you will see the manual on the bottom left.

Mule65

Reaction score
I have not found a way to have free Yahoo email pushed to the Droid. The setup for 2.1 on mine didn't prompt for server settings. I check for Yahoo mail every 15 minutes which is better than browsing for new mail.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I have not found a way to have free Yahoo email pushed to the Droid. The setup for 2.1 on mine didn't prompt for server settings. I check for Yahoo mail every 15 minutes which is better than browsing for new mail.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough. There are plenty of guides listed on this board on how to do it; even in a couple of the posts above this one. They work for free Yahoo email - I've had mine working since January, with no interruption from the 2.1 upgrade.

mlfca

Reaction score

Maybe you're not looking hard enough. There are plenty of guides listed on this board on how to do it; even in a couple of the posts above this one. They work for free Yahoo email - I've had mine working since January, with no interruption from the 2.1 upgrade.

If you know then share

Tony42273

Reaction score
PlEaSe

GhostWheel.....please share and if you are referring to apps such as K9, I tried that and it worked ok I was just wondering if there was something better is all.

If you know then share

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

If you know then share

Sorry, never mind, I missed the part about the push. I have mine set to autocheck every 10 minutes, which for me is fine. Any particular reason you prefer the push?

JerzyGirl

Reaction score
I set my yahoo email, and noticed when I send an email through the phone, and then check my emails from my desktop, there are zillion sent emails....that freaked me out! Anyone having the same issue?

Mule65

Reaction score
Sorry, never mind, I missed the part about the push. I have mine set to autocheck every 10 minutes, which for me is fine. Any particular reason you prefer the push?

Pushed email is faster and I assume would save battery not having to check 144 times per day.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I set my yahoo email, and noticed when I send an email through the phone, and then check my emails from my desktop, there are zillion sent emails....that freaked me out! Anyone having the same issue?

Mine does/did that too but the person getting the e-mail says they only get one.

FWIW my e-mail is suddenly givng me the same connection errors that it did when I first started, telling me my username and or password is incorrect. About to set up again in case the new upgrade changed something.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
- Select the IMAP option
Password: enter your yahoo email password again
6. Touch Next
The interesting thing is that if you just supply your ID and password the following settings are used with 2.1:

Incoming
IMAP server: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Security type: SSL

Outgoing
SMTP server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Security type: SSL
Require sign-in

Pushed email is faster and I assume would save battery not having to check 144 times per day.
Correct on both counts. Push is definitely the way to go if it's an option.

jasonty

Reaction score
I set-up my email based on this thread many months ago w/ no problems. All of a sudden now my email will not notify me of new messages, but the app was receiving them when checked manually. As such, I deleted my account and came back here to try and set it up again. However, now none of the setting previously used are working. I tried using the Maildroid app, but it was eating up my battery. Any suggestions?