Write me an APP? (Law Enforcement)

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hm, I don't think there are any apps specifically for that, however, you can try an app called Evernote, you can log down notes/pictures/video, it acts as better notebook.

Also if you wouldn't mind, could you give me a general outline on what police training is like to become an officer, and what you should major in college for becoming a law enforcement officer? thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm former LEO and I'd be pissed if I had to throw down with a suspect all of a sudden and had to toss my droid to get to my belt while deflecting a blow etc. LOL!! There'd be some serious head cracking after that!

That's why all DWI or DUI suspects should be Tased first....

Psychokitty

Reaction score
I hope this works out for you, Motorplow. Your job is dangerous & DDs suck.

SGTiger

Reaction score
ok, but I am looking for something that I could just click some boxes. Can't be typing a lot when I need to keep my eyes on the suspect for officer safety. Any volunteers?

I had imagined that you would just put one character into a cell to consider it "checked off". I knew you would have to use the keyboard some because you would have to enter a suspect's name.

Last edited:

browndanielusn

Reaction score
I've been dying to come up with an idea on an app to create, and this sounds like something I would be interested in doing. Please pm me with ideas on screen layout, functionality, and project requirements. Fyi though, I only have time to code on the weekends, so if you're not in a rush, I shouldn't have a problem taking care of this.

OP
M

Motorplow

Reaction score
That would be when the Judge orders restitution and the suspect buys you a new Droid. :motdroidvert:

ak68

Reaction score
no need to type

With the new voice support in 2.1 coming wouldn't you just be able to talk to fill in the appropriate highlighted fields?

OP
M

Motorplow

Reaction score
Talking to fill in the fields would not work as there will probably be a lot of background noise on the roadside and the fact that you don't always want the suspect to know what your making notes on. Besides, if you were talking into your phone while doing field sobriety tests, it would really confuse the poor guy who is already having trouble standing up.

Reaction score
DWI Helper

I am a police officer and have began to develop a DWI Application for Android. It is currently available on the Android Market named DWI Helper.

This is the very first version and is quite basic. My programming skills are rusty, but I have lots of plans for the app.

Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. I am currently working on the database feature to be able to save information and pull it up later.

DWI Helper / DWI Helper Forums

Last edited:

lappenterprises

Reaction score
This is a great idea since it can help put more drunk drivers behind bars, I appreciate what the police do. My company is going to look into developing an app for this.

On another note. Before being in the computer business, I did do private security and bail enforcement work. I honestly think that any LEO should have his hands free as much as possible for his safety. To work around this I used to use a small audio recorder that was mounted on my belt, with a microphone under my shirt. When dealing with a subject I was able to capture answers from him, or even just speak info into the mic myself, while keeping my hands free to deal with him. After he is cuffed and you are clear, I would then listen to the audio while entering the data into the app. I would hate to see an officer get hurt because he was busy using his phone.

ohcop72

Reaction score
I think I have your answer. I am a Police Officer and Probation Officer. I use a free program called "doforms" you can create your own pattern of questions, answers captures your GPS location, takes pictures for file etc. I use it on a tablet, go to an offenders home, take GPS coordinates write report take pictures and sign. It will store it and upload later if needed.

Natey2

Reaction score
I was (am?) a Software Developer/Engineer. What will you do if your Android phone reboots during data entry?
Mine has rebooted during Google Navigation, while reading e-mail, and once during a phone call, and sometimes when I connect via USB.
I had also lost many pictures from the SD card due to what I believe to be an indexing error/bug in the Android/Motorola Gallery.

When people's lives, welfare or civil rights are on the line, you deserve a highly reliable system to process your data. Android, in its current form, running on a Smartphone is not it.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar

Last edited:

tnronin

Reaction score
I'm former LEO and I'd be pissed if I had to throw down with a suspect all of a sudden and had to toss my droid to get to my belt while deflecting a blow etc. LOL!! There'd be some serious head cracking after that!

This, I'm former LEO and I was real active with DUI's. You would probably be better served with your existing video/audio systems. And finally cops are too cheap IMHO to actually pay for something like this.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was (am?) a Software Developer/Engineer. What will you do if your Android phone reboots during data entry?
Mine has rebooted during Google Navigation, while reading e-mail, and once during a phone call, and sometimes when I connect via USB.
I had also lost many pictures from the SD card due to what I believe to be an indexing error/bug in the Android/Motorola Gallery.

When people's lives, welfare or civil rights are on the line, you deserve a highly reliable system to process your data. Android, in its current form, running on a Smartphone is not it.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk from GetJar
you need to upgrade from that pos droid x. i've had one so i know how bad that device was. when i upgraded to thunderbolt it felt like going from dial up to cable internet performance wise, not internet speed even.