[REVIEW] Flashcard apps for the Droid

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is the strange way that the Market works and the ordering of the results. If you seach for "flashcards" then you get StudyDroid and Ankidroid as the first 2 results, then a bunch of "baby" flashcard programs by SAGEMILK and TEACHERSPARADISE. Some of the best programs do not appear until much further down in the results - and some do not show up at all (like JetMemo).

It takes quite a bit of searching to find some of these apps - which I am sure hinders their download rate.

Radil

Reaction score
Hello all!
I wanna thank you for such a great post! this is the reason why I have registered here!
I have one question tho, and I thought it would be easier to ask it here since I see a lot of the developers on the post.
How do these apps work on a tablet? I'm buying a galaxy tab 10.1, and I really need a good flashcard app, since my smartphone got stolen :( is there a need for a tablet version? someone told me that most of the android apps work great on tablets w/o any need to modify it.
Thanks a lot!! great forum!
Radil

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
AnkiDroid 1.0

Hi Kiwiguy,
Quick update about AnkiDroid:

You had written:
- "cannot delete cards from the phone"
- "Can NOT reverse order that cards are asked"
Now those two features ARE available :)

After a long series of 0.x.x versions, AnkiDroid 1.0 has just been released!
The number of users has mutiplied by 8 since January 2011 :)

Features:
- Themes/animations
- Automatic backup system
- Card addition via external programs like dictionaries
- Localized to 27 languages, thanks to the community!
- Configurable actions for swipe and shake
- Works with Zeemote (a popular small bluetooth game controller)
- Night mode (for review in bed or to save power on AMOLED)
- Histogram showing how many cards are coming in the next days, and many other statistics graphs
- Synchronization, in order to easily review/add cards via the AnkiWeb website, or via the Windows/Linux/Mac software "Anki", or via "Anki Mobile" (iPhone/iPad)

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

Last edited:

Malleable

Reaction score
Mathematical formulas? Which program will allow me to make these flashcards?

So I am a PhD student in Economics and looking for a flashcard making program that will accept complex notation. Integrals, subscript, superscript, greek alphabet, etc.

I can make these in Word, but not sure if they carry over to CSV or import formats. Do any of these programs accept complex notation?

I dont want to import images of the formulas.

I dont need to edit the formulas on the phone - as long as what I download to my phone will display the text correctly.

Thanks,
Mal

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
Hi Malleable,

Is LaTeX fine?

Anki lets you add/edit formulas in LaTeX.
They are actually also converted to images, but you don't even know it: You can edit the formulas at any time on your PC, and Anki will take care of the rest.

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

Malleable

Reaction score
Hi Malleable,

Is LaTeX fine?

Anki lets you add/edit formulas in LaTeX.
They are actually also converted to images, but you don't even know it: You can edit the formulas at any time on your PC, and Anki will take care of the rest.

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

Well I dont actually know LaTex. Sounds like a good idea to learn it, but for now I probably need a nonlanguage based solution.

Thanks,
Mal

ptea

Reaction score
@kiwiguy: Thanks for the review of Flashcards (formerly Tea.ch Cards). Time has passed, it has almost been 4 years since the app entered the Android Market. There are now so many Flashcards app in the Market, so I decided to give it yet another name for the release of the full version. It's now to be found as 'Wise Cards' in the 'Google Play', wow I still have to get used to the 'Play' word.

Wise Cards has some more features:
* Organize cards in groups.
* Text to Speech, you don't even need to look on your phone to learn. Usefull with headphones on the go.
* Review cards modus, can even be used as cards with notes for your presentation.
* Set your own Deck-Icon
* Download decks from Studystack.com, Flashcardexchange.com and Quizlet.com, no need to convert lists as CSV.
* The swipe direction can now be configured.

Wise Cards Free
* Now has no limit of number of cards in a deck.
* Limit: Only the first deck can be used for learning.

here are some more infos: Wise Cards - Flashcards for Android

mrobinwood

Reaction score
@kiwiguy: Thanks for the review of Flashcards (formerly Tea.ch Cards). Time has passed, it has almost been 4 years since the app entered the Android Market. There are now so many Flashcards app in the Market, so I decided to give it yet another name for the release of the full version. It's now to be found as 'Wise Cards' in the 'Google Play', wow I still have to get used to the 'Play' word.

Wise Cards has some more features:
* Organize cards in groups.
* Text to Speech, you don't even need to look on your phone to learn. Usefull with headphones on the go.
* Review cards modus, can even be used as cards with notes for your presentation.
* Set your own Deck-Icon
* Download decks from Studystack.com, Flashcardexchange.com and Quizlet.com, no need to convert lists as CSV.
* The swipe direction can now be configured.

Wise Cards Free
* Now has no limit of number of cards in a deck.
* Limit: Only the first deck can be used for learning.

here are some more infos: Wise Cards - Flashcards for Android

Sounded like a great app - until I downloaded and tried to use it... Wow, is it CLUNKY!! I had a quizlet set already made and wanted to use it - after 20 minutes of searching, still couldn't find it so grabbed another random quizlet - and it was a pain to load. Ater about 45 minutes, (and I'm usually pretty good at being able to figure things out...) I just deleted it. I'm just grateful I didn't purchase the full app!
:rating01:
Are there any out there that are more user friendly?

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Updated the first post to include a review of a new app on the market calls Flux Cards - which has a lot of nice features and I think is one the better apps tested to date.

Giszmo

Reaction score
Hello from the author of FluxCards

Hiho,

I'm the author of FluxCards and just registered to let you know how much I appreciate any feedback. If you have any questions about FluxCards, also please just ask.

Regards and thanx for the great review ;)

Leo Wandersleb

Last edited:

onoelle

Reaction score
Flashcards ToGo - New Release supports import/export from/to Google docs

Hi Android flashcard community,

a release worth mentioning: Flashcards ToGo was just released in a new version that supports importing and exporting to Google docs/spreadsheet - so you can backup your card data to the cloud or quickly write down some words on your computer and easily import them later to your phone! Also, image import from Quizlet was added (e.g. import a flashcard set with european countries which contains a map for each country) and a card lifecycle that allows you to import e.g. 100 cards, but only add a few of them to your "active" card stack according to how much new learning material you can memorize at the moment...

See the full changelog at the Flashcards ToGo website, or browse the app in Google Play.

@kiwiguy: thanks for keeping this review updated!

sophiexu

Reaction score
Thanks for the overview, which is really detailed.

I previously used AnkiDroid and FlashcardsBuddy (which is not listed), but now I found a new app that has been released recently. It's called Flashcard Expert and provides not only the usual stuff, but has some really new features. The coolest feature is that you can define lots of attributes for a cardset (like a database) and you can design a template how the flashcard shall be presented. So you do not just have a front and a back side (and maybe a comment site) but you can have 10 or more (logical) sides - each side spoken in a different language, presented with a different font or having multiple images!
In addition you can provide custom labels which you can assign to your cards. This is a bit different from the typical Leitner system, but it's quite flexible. I love it.

Sophie :icon_ lala:

hhoang

Reaction score
Hey.
I recently completed an Android App for a Class I'm taking.
I wanted to share with you all. I just barely uploaded v2.0 onto the android store, it should show up in the next hour or so.

You can download it here

Here are some of it's features:
* Offline Mode to study on the go without an internet connection.
* Adjust card flip speeds in the settings menu
* Long press on a deck to view options
* Shuffle your flashcards
* Search Quizlet to access millions of flashcard sets.
* Edit, Delete, and Create new flashcards with a breeze
* Text-to-speech integration
* Multi-language support
* Identify your strengths and weaknesses by keeping track of how well you know a card.
* Reverse Question and Answer sides on cards
* Improved UI

Thanks!

Last edited:

Giszmo

Reaction score
Hey.
I recently completed an Android App for a Class I'm taking.
I wanted to share with you all. I just barely uploaded v2.0 onto the android store, it should show up in the next hour or so.

You can download it here

Here are some of it's features:
* Offline Mode to study on the go without an internet connection.
* Adjust card flip speeds in the settings menu
* Long press on a deck to view options
* Shuffle your flashcards
* Search Quizlet to access millions of flashcard sets.
* Edit, Delete, and Create new flashcards with a breeze
* Text-to-speech integration
* Multi-language support
* Identify your strengths and weaknesses by keeping track of how well you know a card.
* Reverse Question and Answer sides on cards
* Improved UI

Thanks!

Hi HHoang,

I'm the developer of FluxCards and therefore try to take the best ideas of all similar projects. In yours I like the modern looking interface, the quick start-up time for newbies and the funny animation of the card menu while learning.
… but there are some issues:
  • I don't take serious any flash cards app that does not use a form of spaced repetition. Once you use an app for more than 2 weeks to learn, you are lost in keeping track which cards to learn if you don't have this powerful tool.
  • Creating cards is a pain. When I add a card, the save button disappears so I have to close the keyboard to access it.
    Your app: Add Card -> give focos to open keyboard -> type -> fling -> type -> close keyboard -> save -> Add card.
    My app (in landscape mode): type question -> continue -> type answer -> done -> type question …