[REVIEW] Flashcard apps for the Droid

liberty

Reaction score
Hi:

I am the author of AnyMemo. I have found this great review on the comment of Android Market. Is it possible for me to put a link of your review on my website? Thanks!

Nicolas Raoul

Reaction score
Let's collaborate on a common standard!

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but here is something that could improve all flashcard apps:

There are many ways in which a flashcard app and a dictionary app can interact (for instance: after looking up a word, add it as a new flashcard).

AnkiDroid started something like this with AnkiDroid-specific Intents, but an open standard would be better.
So all of us, flashcard apps developers, should collaborate on a standard that we can all use, with all dictionary apps:

http://www.openintents.org/en/node/720

Let's collaborate over there: the more we are, the better will be the standard.
I am also in contact with a few dictionary apps developers who want to integrate with us, their input will be strategic in building the standard.

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

liberty

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but here is something that could improve all flashcard apps:

There are many ways in which a flashcard app and a dictionary app can interact (for instance: after looking up a word, add it as a new flashcard).

AnkiDroid started something like this with AnkiDroid-specific Intents, but an open standard would be better.
So all of us, flashcard apps developers, should collaborate on a standard that we can all use, with all dictionary apps:

Communication between dictionaries and flashcard applications | OpenIntents

Let's collaborate over there: the more we are, the better will be the standard.
I am also in contact with a few dictionary apps developers who want to integrate with us, their input will be strategic in building the standard.

Cheers!
Nicolas Raoul

Support this suggestion! Openness will bring benefit to all!

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
I am the author of AnyMemo. I have found this great review on the comment of Android Market. Is it possible for me to put a link of your review on my website? Thanks!

I have no problems if you link to review. Thanks for writing such a good app.

OP
kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Good review! But it is a little outdated. It do not contain recent apps like AnyMemo and Memodroid.

I just discovered that AnyMemo used to be called Fantastische - which I had previously reviewed as one of the top 3 apps back in December - so at least my ratings are consistent!! I have merged the 2 reviews into one.

liberty

Reaction score
Good review! But it is a little outdated. It do not contain recent apps like AnyMemo and Memodroid.
I just discovered that AnyMemo used to be called Fantastische - which I had previously reviewed as one of the top 3 apps back in December - so at least my ratings are consistent!! I have merged the 2 reviews into one.

Thank you. I forgot to indicate it before and I am glad you have updated the review on it and also thanks for your suggestions in the cons section.

onoelle

Reaction score
Excellent review / API for flashcard <=> dictionary app

Hi,

I'm the developer of Flashcards ToGo (Flashcards ToGo | Google Groups), and I wanted to thank the kiwiguy for this very comprehensive review! As an app developer this saves me hours to spot what the competition is doing ;-)

Leaving the competition aside, I wanted to step in to support the idea of Nicolas to standardize on the protocol between flashcard and dictionary app. I added a proposal on openintents.org, please feel free to comment on it:

Thanks again for the review and all the time you spent in refining it - as you notice, as a side effect it also brings the developers of flashcard apps together ;-)

Oliver

liberty

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the developer of Flashcards ToGo (Flashcards ToGo | Google Groups), and I wanted to thank the kiwiguy for this very comprehensive review! As an app developer this saves me hours to spot what the competition is doing ;-)

Leaving the competition aside, I wanted to step in to support the idea of Nicolas to standardize on the protocol between flashcard and dictionary app. I added a proposal on openintents.org, please feel free to comment on it:

Thanks again for the review and all the time you spent in refining it - as you notice, as a side effect it also brings the developers of flashcard apps together ;-)

Oliver

Hi glad to see you! Your suggestion on OpenIntent is also suitable for AnyMemo. I suggest the main API can be like that. The broadcast receiver will pop up some dialog for user to fill other info like category. The locale should be optional since some flashcard software does not use it at all. AnyMemo uses locale a lot. So if the locale info is ignored, AnyMemo will allow user to select the locale.

easyrider

Reaction score
A great review it helped me to find the best app

AnyMemo works the best for me :heart:
moreover it is free and open-sourced.
Very responsive developer

guam

Reaction score
Flashcards

Hello,

I have an idea to put upwards of 20,000 multiple choice questions into flashcard form. I have the questions/answers already layed out in pdf and word format.

I have no app building abilities, but think I could lay out the flashcards easy enough. It's just the weeks of work to do it!

I believe that I could sell access to this study guide for the droid, as no other exists. Do any of these apps reviewed offer a way for me to offer access to only people who pay for it?

Any ideas or roundabout ways to get my idea going are really appreciated.

Thanks,

liberty

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an idea to put upwards of 20,000 multiple choice questions into flashcard form. I have the questions/answers already layed out in pdf and word format.

I have no app building abilities, but think I could lay out the flashcards easy enough. It's just the weeks of work to do it!

I believe that I could sell access to this study guide for the droid, as no other exists. Do any of these apps reviewed offer a way for me to offer access to only people who pay for it?

Any ideas or roundabout ways to get my idea going are really appreciated.

Thanks,

AnyMemo has an AnyMemo DB Installer. It works like a container and user can use it to install databases to SD card so AnyMemo can access these cards. If you like, I can send you the source code of AnyMemo converter, you can just modify the database and their description and publish it on Android Market with the name you like and set a price for it. I am also glad to modify it to fit your need.

azbutch

Reaction score
reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this phrase

"..reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a)"

mean that you can go from English to Spanish and then Spanish to English (or any other language combination) or last first and first last???

liberty

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this phrase

"..reverse order that cards are asked (i.e. a -> b, b -> a)"

mean that you can go from English to Spanish and then Spanish to English (or any other language combination) or last first and first last???

It means reverse the order of question and answer. For example:
Q: good
A: gut

reverse:
Q: gut
A: good