Wow, does this phone pocket dial alot.

First of all the app your looking for is YOUR FINGER. Lock the phone - I can do it while driving and get into my jeans.

Second of all my car (Nissan) 's bluetooth is not yet compatible with the Droid. However the droid is so good that I can put it in the cupholder or the seat next to me and people think I'm on bluetooth.

Searched for "YOUR FINGER" in market. No results.

-Wil

I LOL'ed. "sigh"

It truly mystifies me that some people refuse to use either a wired or bluetooth headset while driving, there is absolutely no disputing that it is safer to do so.

Whether it is the law in your state or not, it is your responsibility to be a safe driver. Period.

Just to play devil's advocate here, what in your mind makes it safer? There have been studies that have found that as far as mental distraction goes, it's engaging in the conversation itself that distracts most, not the method in which one is hearing it (meaning on that basis, handheld=bluetooth=handsfree). So I'd assume the primary reason would be that it's keeping one of your hands busy? That said, are you really someone who drives with both hands on the wheel normally? I'll admit I'm not, so holding a phone or not, I only have 1 hand on the wheel. I suppose it can be a distraction if you happen to drop the phone while talking, a problem avoided by handsfree... but still. Ok devil's advocate over. :icon_ devil:

Where in my mind does wearing/using bluetooth technology make talking on the phone while driving safer?

1st, it is true that the studies deem the act of talking on the phone to be a distraction in and of itself, yet so is driving with kids in the backseat, eating while driving, smoking while driving, changing/adjusting the sound system, picking your nose, and a host of other things.

However one of the things that often goes along with the act of using your cell while driving is taking your eyes off of the road to dial, find someone in the address book, or heaven forbid, read/write/reply to a text, therefore, the effect of the actual conversation notwithstanding, sensible (IMO) people have agreed (and passed legislation in many states documenting said agreement) that having just one button to push to answer or disconnect from a call makes the act of using your cell while driving safer.

In addition, although I will be the 1st to admit that I do not always have both hands on the wheel, I think it would be hard to argue that if something should happen on the road that requires my hand that is not on the wheel to either grab said wheel and/or downshift swiftly, I am in a much better position to do so with my arm either resting on my armrest (right side) or on the bottom of the window sill (left side) rather than up on the side of my head holding a freaking phone.

That's just plain common sense.

I actually worry more about the individuals that are texting than I do of people just talking on their phone... then again, there's the argument that some people just shouldn't have a driver's license either...

I actually worry more about the individuals that are texting than I do of people just talking on their phone... then again, there's the argument that some people just shouldn't have a driver's license either...

LOL at that last sentence...

What was really a headscratcher was that here in California the hands-free law that required drivers use a hands-free device was enacted two to three(?) years ago, but it took an additional 1 to 2 years before the legislation included texting while driving to be illegal...go figure.

*Note to self.........never drive behind, next to, or in front of any of these people in this thread*

LOL at all the people here actually defending their bad "talking on the phone while driving" habit. No matter how good and/or safe you think your driving really is while talking on the phone, just take a step back and put yourself in the car driving behind you - imagine what they are seeing. Just because you think your are a good driver while using your phone...doesn't mean you are.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to preach either, just use some common sense guys.

I think the more valid argument is that people in general shouldnt be allowed to drive. They should give more stringent driving tests ever 5 years. Get the idiots and people too old to react off the roads.

The latest big fad is cell phones so they will focus on those as a culprit. They always find something - drinking, smoking, putting on make-up...

It amazes me living in S. Florida how many drivers are totally nuts who keep their license but in California you get pulled over for driving safely if you hold your cell to your ear.

It truly mystifies me that some people refuse to use either a wired or bluetooth headset while driving, there is absolutely no disputing that it is safer to do so.

Whether it is the law in your state or not, it is your responsibility to be a safe driver. Period.

Some people can drive safely while talking on the phone. Most can't, because they dont' have the proper eye/hand/mind coordination to do so.

Personally, I've been talking on cell phones while driving for the last 6 years. I've recently switched to blue tooth/speaker setup because of the law, but I still occasionally do it. For me, its not an issue, I've never come close to having an accident while on the phone, because of the phone.

You may deem it "safer", and it most likely is for most people, but it doesn't add any safety for me. I drive with my knees, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee at the same time. I concentrate on *driving* first, not talking, not drinking. If I drop the phone, it just stays there until its safe for me to pick it up, hell, I"ve dropped a cigarette ON MY LAP and let it burn my pants before I lean down to pick it up. Most people don't have that type of behavior, hence they cause accidents.

-Wil
He he, I do the same all the time. my knees know the road as well as my hands. I'll eat, drink, smoke, while steering with my knees. I've been doing it for more years than I care to remember and after 40 years of driving I have never once been in an accident. I do still prefer hands free talking when driving but I admit my switch to Bluetooth was due to the weight of the Droid more than anything else.. Frankly, those folks that can't drive with a phone to their ear probably won't be much better drivers with headsets or speaker phones.

Yeah. Its convenient on straight roads.

I'm not trying to make light of the subject, I know people who've been in bad accidents and get hurt. I'm always alert, I ALWAYS pay attention. I think I just have good peripheral vision, as I always know who is in front, in the lanes next to me, and the lanes next to THEM.

But I understand the concern, most people drive like morons. Like I said, I'm not trying to make light of the issue.

-Wil

Yeah mine does weird things now and then. A while back I finished a call and put the phone in my pocket and a few seconds later .....BOOM! 95.8 CAPITAL FM from London came from my pocket.

Where in my mind does wearing/using bluetooth technology make talking on the phone while driving safer?

1st, it is true that the studies deem the act of talking on the phone to be a distraction in and of itself, yet so is driving with kids in the backseat, eating while driving, smoking while driving, changing/adjusting the sound system, picking your nose, and a host of other things.

However one of the things that often goes along with the act of using your cell while driving is taking your eyes off of the road to dial, find someone in the address book, or heaven forbid, read/write/reply to a text, therefore, the effect of the actual conversation notwithstanding, sensible (IMO) people have agreed (and passed legislation in many states documenting said agreement) that having just one button to push to answer or disconnect from a call makes the act of using your cell while driving safer.

In addition, although I will be the 1st to admit that I do not always have both hands on the wheel, I think it would be hard to argue that if something should happen on the road that requires my hand that is not on the wheel to either grab said wheel and/or downshift swiftly, I am in a much better position to do so with my arm either resting on my armrest (right side) or on the bottom of the window sill (left side) rather than up on the side of my head holding a freaking phone.

That's just plain common sense.

I'll agree that adding extra actions (texting, browsing, etc) to the formula does decrease the safety. But on the original topic of just making/receiving calls, I stand by my comments of there being no significant evidence one is safer than the other. (And I don't text, look up contacts, etc while driving, unless I'm stopped/pulled over, but I do make and receive calls on the move) You're able to receive and make (voice dialing) calls with the push of 1 button holding the phone as well. And debating whether it's better to have your hand at your ear or at rest at your side if something should happen is pointless. There's no substantive way to prove either one, and everyone is taught that when something happens, both hands go to the wheel regardless of where they were or what they were doing previously (I love my Droid, but in an emergency you can bet I'm dropping it and don't care what happens to it in that moment). And lastly, the fact that some people have agreed and/or that legislation has been passed in support is by no means any indication whatsoever of an issue's true validity or correctness. Do I even need to cite examples to make that point?

All in all, I'm glad the OP's dilemma was solved on page 1 and this has turned in to a debate on safety/an airing of bad driving habits :rolleyes: . It's time for bed. Everyone just be safe out there, regardless of how you choose to talk and/or drive.

P.S. Count me in for this to solve all the problems. Where's my IRobot computer driven supercar? :rating10:
I think the more valid argument is that people in general shouldnt be allowed to drive.

*Note to self.........never drive behind, next to, or in front of any of these people in this thread*

LOL at all the people here actually defending their bad "talking on the phone while driving" habit. No matter how good and/or safe you think your driving really is while talking on the phone, just take a step back and put yourself in the car driving behind you - imagine what they are seeing. Just because you think your are a good driver while using your phone...doesn't mean you are.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I'm not trying to preach either, just use some common sense guys.

Its not these guys you need to worry about.

Study: Cell phone bans don't reduce accidents - CNN.com

Its not texting.
Its not talking.
Its not eating.
Its not drinking coffee, pop, bottled water, etc.

It IS a deadly combination of arrogance and stupidity, and you cant legislate that.
13 years of driving a truck, and I have seen people doing everything EXCEPT PAYING ATTENTION TO DRIVING THEIR 4000LB MISSILE DOWN THE ROAD! Then, as a kicker, they are the ones p*ssed at YOU because they screwed up.

I can't count the times , usually in my car, when I finish a call and put the Droid in my shirt pocket and it dials someone.
Like many others in this thread, I always hit the lock button when pocketing/holstering and I've never had such problems with my Droid.

I know I could hit the lock button, but when your driving you can be moving the Droid around in your hand and hit the screen without noticing and then hit lock, but it is already dialing. Now you have to bring it out of lock and get back to dialer to end the call. With this app this problem will not happen.
A mount for your device can help if you are going to use it while driving.

I think the more valid argument is that people in general shouldnt be allowed to drive. They should give more stringent driving tests ever 5 years. Get the idiots and people too old to react off the roads.
I do agree about testing. Even I shouldn't have passed the driving test when I did.

However, testing alone won't address the issue of drivers engaging in behavior that distracts them from focusing on driving. I'm sure that people that can't talk on the phone and drive aren't going to bust out the phone in the middle of a driving test (though I'm sure someone somewhere will prove me wrong). :D

I realize I'm generalizing but cops around here seem fixated only on speed limit enforcement. I can understand, to a degree, as speed limits provide clear, concise rules on what is and isn't allowed and speed enforcement devices provide them with clear backup. "Unsafe driving" is a bit vague by comparison even though an officer's word will carry more weight than yours in traffic court.

Everyone just be safe out there, regardless of how you choose to talk and/or drive.
Well, that's precisely the problem. Everyone thinks that they are the best drivers in the world and that they can talk and drive, text and drive, eat and drive, read and drive, etc etc. It's generally not until something tragic happens that they bother to actually reconsider -- if even that. More than a few seem to just pass the blame on others. It's unfortunate and, IMO, not much different from those that think they're "functional alcoholics" that can drive after hitting the bar.

Personally, I don't even use my phone in the car. It's a manual so both hands and feet needed for driving anyway. Plus it's convertible so calls are pretty much pointless while driving. I realize there are noise reduction technologies out there but now that I'm used to not using my phone while driving, there's no call or text that's worth risking anyone's safety IMO -- even when I'm driving an automatic. If there is an important call it's not a big deal to pull over and deal with the call while parked. I lost count long ago of the near-misses I've had with people that need to do the same. I'm not saying that everyone can't talk and drive but the ones that can't don't seem to realize that they can't.

That said, I do use navigation on my Droid and I'm sure there are those that view me as a hypocrite for doing so.

Where do you draw the line? Do you legislate based on the lowest common denominator? Should police just watch for unsafe drivers and aggressively ticket them, regardless of what they were specifically doing while driving? It's not an easy situation to deal with. It's difficult to get people to accurately assess themselves and take responsibility for their own actions.

I'll agree that adding extra actions (texting, browsing, etc) to the formula does decrease the safety. But on the original topic of just making/receiving calls, I stand by my comments of there being no significant evidence one is safer than the other. (And I don't text, look up contacts, etc while driving, unless I'm stopped/pulled over, but I do make and receive calls on the move)

You're able to receive and make (voice dialing) calls with the push of 1 button holding the phone as well. And debating whether it's better to have your hand at your ear or at rest at your side if something should happen is pointless. There's no substantive way to prove either one, and everyone is taught that when something happens, both hands go to the wheel regardless of where they were or what they were doing previously (I love my Droid, but in an emergency you can bet I'm dropping it and don't care what happens to it in that moment).

And lastly, the fact that some people have agreed and/or that legislation has been passed in support is by no means any indication whatsoever of an issue's true validity or correctness. Do I even need to cite examples to make that point?.

Glad to read there is something we agree on (1st sentence above)...

I really do not believe there is the need for a substantive study as to whether the average reaction time for a driver to get both hands on the wheel and/or downshift would be faster if their arm is on their armrest or holding a cellphone which is nestled next to their ear...again, that's just seems like common sense...to me anyways. (shrugs shoulders)

As for your statement: "legislation has been passed in support is by no means any indication whatsoever of an issue's true validity or correctness", although I am sure you can point out a number of laws/regulations on the books that may be questionable, if we keep the examples relevant to driving, I can think of a few that have made a difference: (1) Seatbelt laws (2) drunken driving laws, and (3) child safety seats.

Both me and my wife have had this happen multiple times. This app is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Works great!

Back