WOW! 2x Battery

badmeat

Reaction score
Display is taking up 66%, time on is 55 minutes for the day. Took phone off charger at 430am this morning. 6 hours, and my battery is at 75%.

And I realize that this app does it for you, isn't that the point of an app?? Make things easier on a person? Nobody wants to go into settings every time to switch it off manually.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

There's no "every time".

You uncheck a box.....Once.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
ajk23az

ajk23az

Reaction score
Display is taking up 66%, time on is 55 minutes for the day. Took phone off charger at 430am this morning. 6 hours, and my battery is at 75%.

And I realize that this app does it for you, isn't that the point of an app?? Make things easier on a person? Nobody wants to go into settings every time to switch it off manually.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

There's no "every time".

You uncheck a box.....Once.

Still have to manually refresh data in apps. Something some don't want to do all the time, but be my guest.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

thunderbornick

Reaction score
Gotta say I was highly skeptical but this app is really good. I used to say I was constantly "castrating" my phone just to get maybe 10 hours out of it. Doing the badmeat way and manually turning on and off my 4G connection, disabling background data, syncing manually etc.

I find that with 2X installed I get more consistent app updating, email alerts and have been averaging 18 hours per charge with moderately heavy use. I was about to toss the phone until I installed it!

Best thing though: its still basically doing what I did, however it isn't in my face. The most frustrating thing is physically turning down every possible option on a phone you paid a rather large sum of money for due to its implied speed and sophistication, only to find that it then doesn't do anything you bought it for!

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Peoples' ignorance is the problem with the Thunderbolt. The display is the largest user of battery. Period. Unless you're an extremely light user.
Not to get into a pissing match, but what's the total time that your display has been on in those 3 hours? 20 minutes?
Mine has been off for 4 hours, display has been on for 1 hour, 25 minutes of those 4 hours and my extended battery is at 86%.

You dont know what you're talking about.

Yes, the display eats a lot of battery, but you know what else burns crazy battery and isnt even shown in the usage stats? The 4G radio. Juice defender works essentially the same way as this 2X battery app.

It turns off the radios when you power off the display. It's no placebo. Without JD, my phone lasts about 12 hours with barely any use. With JD, I can get 24 hours or more.

Yes, a person could manually turn off data and wifi manually all the time, or the app can do it for you when you power off the screen. It's a lot more convenient.

Even though JD works great, I dont like using it because i dont like waiting for the data connection to re-establish when I power on the screen. As such, i just keep chargers everywhere.

badmeat

Reaction score
That's great if you don't need to be alerted of emails or anything when they come through (I'm in sales, so its a must). So with me, it would be counter-productive to my career.

And the 4G radio is shown under the battery usage, its part of the Android OS....if you were on 3g constantly, it would use less than if you had 4g on and Android were utilizing a slower data connection. 4g DOES NOT USE ANY MORE BATTERY, IT IS A CATALYST THAT ALLOWS THE APPLICATIONS/ANDROID OS TO RUN FASTER AND TRANSFER DATA FASTER. This results in a larger drain of power. Think of it as a car with a 4 cylinder engine compared to a V8. Sure, the underpowered car will still get to 100mph eventually, but the V8 will get there quicker, while using more fuel.

Like I said previously, because of ignorance of users, applications that advertise 'battery saving' are more worth while to others than those of us that know what the hell we are doing. For me, the app has no value.

Thanks for playing.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
That's great if you don't need to be alerted of emails or anything when they come through (I'm in sales, so its a must). So with me, it would be counter-productive to my career.

My job issues me a phone (blackberry) for getting work emails. It's very reliable and the battery lasts for days. There's no way I'd want to rely on the TB for anything important considering the battery dies so quickly and has a habit of randomly rebooting during important calls.

Doesnt matter though.. I cant even bring my personal phone into the building at work. I leave it in the car all day. When I come out for lunch after 4-5 hours, Ive lost 50% battery and the phone hasnt even done anything.

And the 4G radio is shown under the battery usage, its part of the Android OS....if you were on 3g constantly, it would use less than if you had 4g on and Android were utilizing a slower data connection. 4g DOES NOT USE ANY MORE BATTERY, IT IS A CATALYST THAT ALLOWS THE APPLICATIONS/ANDROID OS TO RUN FASTER AND TRANSFER DATA FASTER. This results in a larger drain of power. Think of it as a car with a 4 cylinder engine compared to a V8. Sure, the underpowered car will still get to 100mph eventually, but the V8 will get there quicker, while using more fuel.

Like I said previously, because of ignorance of users, applications that advertise 'battery saving' are more worth while to others than those of us that know what the hell we are doing. For me, the app has no value.

Thanks for playing.

Oooh.. you "know what you're doing".. wtf does that even mean? Lemme guess, you have facebook and twitter not syncing, no weather/stocks syncing, brightness turned down to 20%, minimal widgets updating, rooted, running a undervolted ROM, bla bla bla.. It isnt rocket science man. Stop acting all high and mighty lol.

Point is, you shouldnt have to go through all of that to get acceptable battery life out of the device.

Anyway.. I understand how these phones work and I can tell you turning off the mobile data saves an immense amount of battery life. Having JD turn off the radio when the screen powers off is a fairly seamless way to accomplish that.

It's unfortunate that the TB comes with such a low capacity battery and HTC makes such power-hungry devices. Bionic cant come soon enough.

badmeat

Reaction score
My battery lasts two days if needed, while using it all day for work purposes. Sorry that yours doesn't.

Enjoy this application.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Badmeat,

The app is a great idea for people that don't want to manually deal with it and that don't need a constant connection. Go troll somewhere else. Preferably on an Apple site or something so we never have to deal with it again.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Yeah this is very similar to all the other battery saving apps like Green Power, Battery Fu and Juice Defender. But it's nice to know that another option does exist.

scvideoguy

Reaction score
My thunderbolt's digital antenna just died... Has this happen to anyone else with this app?

Stromboni

Reaction score
Outstanding!!! To say the least.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I tried juice defender didn't work for me. I have a rooted phone so when I pull down notification bar I can turn off data from there. That saves a lot of my battery. It's basically the same thing except I do everything manually.

rtb

Reaction score
For some reason my email doesn't come through when I use 2x. I always have to go into gmail and hit refresh. How do
I get email to still push through and get the notification?

geoff5093

Reaction score
With "enable always on mobile data" unchecked, all you need to do is wake the device for the data connection to re-establish, then it will automatically sync/download anything it needs to. I love this feature since there are times, such as at work or on a long drive when I don't use my phone for a few hours. In that time I have no need for it to check every 15 minutes for new data.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
if I uncheck that I'll still get texts won't I, or is that included in the power off deal? I don't care about e-mail all the time, this is a personal phone for me, I do care that after a 15 min phone conversation my phone is down to 70% battery life and it's showing that voice calls is 50%+ of my battery use, while nothing else passes 5% other than display at 22%