Would you recommend Droid to a non tech friend?

loop4zil

Reaction score
I am not a techie. This is my first smartphone. I just have a growing interest in how to use these gadgets and I'm very happy with how it's going so, yes. If they are willing to learn I would definitely recommend it. It's awesome not being told how my phone should look and act.

I agree...I love how I can make my droid my own...and pick up cool new things from other users. If a person is willing and able to dig into it they will love the droid.

with 3 kids, full time job and school...I have to nerd out on my droid during lunch break. What an excellent hour that is.

alm0614

Reaction score
my grandmother got a droid, granted she doesnt use it to its full capabilities but loves using it for email, internet, phone/text, and gps.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm female and 60 and I enjoy my Droid for the flexibility I have to make it my own. I l like gadgets, I like apps, I like games, I like the navigator for the car, I like surfing the web for the day's news/events on the train, and on and on. My daughter is more into texting - a generational thing (?). She used my Droid and liked it but ended up with an Eris instead. I think how you intend to use the device will dictate if a Droid is or is not for you. If your friend isn't into experimentation and trial and error, maybe a Droid isn't a good recommendation. (doesn't have anything to do with age or gender by the way....:))

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@ Alm0614 your Gma is Bad@ss!
no way my Gma would know how to use a DROID. my gramps would try and get pissed off and call me asking how to do this or how to do that.

-=jason=-

lmapp

Reaction score
No, a non-techie should stay away. Sad but true.

Let's be honest: Getting a file from your PC to your Droid is not the most intuitive procedure in the world.

To clarify - I have no problem with the above, but a couple of people that I work with...let's just say I'm never recommending any phone ever again. Ever. Never ever.

Last edited:

Rettocs

Reaction score
No, a non-techie should stay away. Sad but true.

Let's be honest: Getting a file from your PC to your Droid is not the most intuitive procedure in the world.

To clarify - I have no problem with the above, but a couple of people that I work with...let's just say I'm never recommending any phone ever again. Ever. Never ever.

If someone can operate a flash drive, it is safe to say they would be able to get a file onto the droid. The only extra step for the droid is to mount it, which is a swipe and 2 taps.

iPirate

Reaction score
Yes, the phone is very intuitive and most nontech people would be very satisfied with never downloading one app from the market.

Just like anything there is a small learning curve.

OP
greyghost04

greyghost04

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for this forum. I agree with the others posters that we'd be a lot more behind the curve if not for what we learn here.

deputc26

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my Droid I considered returning it after a couple of days because it seemed too complex compared to my Ipod Touch ie. iPhone without the phone. After about 2 weeks I feel like I had it mastered. After 2 months I feel like it is now part of my body and could not live without it. Now, I consider myself a techy guy. I fix everyone's computer problems. That being said, would I recommend a Droid to an average non techy friend? Hmm, I don't know. How about you? Would you? Is the Droid a techy only phone or could your wife learn to use all it's capabilities?

depends how smart/dumb they are.

coolkidd

Reaction score
I would ask them first on how to put a computer into "Standby Mode".... if they do not have any idea, I wouldn't recommend Droid to them.... I would, however, tell them to try the iPhone... :)

lockman

Reaction score
I've let a few co-workers look at my Droid, and they look at it like it's powered by PFM(PureF#$%&ngMagic), so as OP asked, nope. If I were to recommend a Droid to a non tech friend, I'd be married to it, their personal IT guy. Been there, done that. Which is why wifey has LG Chocolate. She's so scared of my phone, she won't even answer it.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Remember the first time you got a computer? Did you know everything about it? Do you know everything about it today? Some of you do I am sure, MOST of us don't....With that said....Droid is for anyone who wants the features that are functional today and to be able to learn about the advanced features tomorrow. That's one of the reasons MANY of you are on this forum, right? Life is all about continually learning my friends!!! Now with this said....Would I recommend the Droid to EVERY ONE? No, but those who want to learn and grow with the best Smartphone on the planet....YES!!! Regardless of how smart or techie they happen to be! :motdroidhoriz:

cbushnell

Reaction score
Its amazing to me how many Droiders admit to marrying stupid people. What's that say about you???

:icon_censored:

My Husband has a Blackberry... I'm the Droid.