Workaround for missing or disappearing App icons and Apps moved to SD

tend2it

Reaction score
Just found this solution and not sure if it has been posted to the general forums.

I use "Apps 2 SD" to save precious space and move things out of internal storage to a SD card.

Problem symptoms after doing so :
  • App icons would disappear from folders and the main home screens
  • Apps would disappear from the "Apps 2 SD" listing and All Apps listings
  • Sometimes App icons would still remain but clicking on it would throw up an error that the App is not found/installed on the system
All said icons were definitely related to ones that were moved to the SD card. Unmounting/mounting and rebooting sometimes helps to recover them but not always. In fact, sometimes the reboot will make the generic icon disappear entirely.

After much research, I tried out "Apps Organizer", which lets you categorize your apps and create widget folders for the categories. These widget folders can be placed on home screens and are refreshed when the widget is loaded and also when you click on them.

So far so good ... powering off and rebooting ... and the missing icons/apps issue seems to have gone away. Knock on wood.

"Apps Organizer" looks like the workaround we've been looking for ... and its free ! Kudos to the developer !!! Think he also has a "Folder Organizer" app too but haven't tried it yet.

When used in conjunction with "Apps 2 SD", "Apps Organizer" not only cleans the home screen clutter, it allows you to customize content and most importantly, keeps Apps on the SD card visible and accessible.

Hope this helps out folks having this annoying issue.

OP
T

tend2it

Reaction score
More testing of this workaround ... icons issue of disappearing is gone if using Apps Organizer's folders ... sometimes clicking on the link errors out ... but the interesting thing is that successive retries makes it work eventually

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

nikecar

Reaction score
More testing of this workaround ... icons issue of disappearing is gone if using Apps Organizer's folders ... sometimes clicking on the link errors out ... but the interesting thing is that successive retries makes it work eventually

Can you be less subtle in your promotion spam? All 8 of your posts are the same exact thing.

That said, I use Folder Organizer which coincidentally is the sister app to yours, but it can do contacts , bookmarks, and more, while the apps organizer just does apps.

I snagged it from the amazon app of the day. They have a free ad supported version though. I'd opt for the folder one, based on using both. The apps one is too limited.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

OP
T

tend2it

Reaction score
Well ... didn't mean to spam ... started out responding to someone's problem and thought instead of burying it in that thread ... the content should be available more generally ... posted to the general forum and wanted to delete it and move it to the tech forum ... but, didn't see an option to delete ... so I changed content to point to this thread.

Thanks for the input on Folder Organizer ... am going to upgrade to it and support the developer. So, does it work on the said issues?