wont sync up to my wifi...

vonfink13

Reaction score
i just got a netgear rangemax wireless router and the droid will not connect to it. it did a few times and now it tells me the connection is excellent..but then the droid disconnects...i even tried it within inches of the router..any help is much appreciated...ps..i am running an imac with the latest snow leopard...

Last edited:

pilot25

Reaction score
I had the same thing. It would connect then disconnect. I forgot I have MAC Addresses enabled. Also make sure you check the SSID and WEP keys if you use that type of security.

OP
vonfink13

vonfink13

Reaction score
do you do those things on the computer or the droid...??..sorry for being a big dummy....

hmarc

Reaction score
My home network wasn't broadcasting its SSID. This works fine for the Mac and PC laptops (5 in all). Has worked fine for years.

The Droid will let me type in the SSID (aka network name) and then says the network is out of range (or something similiar). I messed around with it to no avail and finally turned on the SSID broadcast at the router.

BINGO!

The Droid then saw it, asked for the password, and connected quickly. The WiFi then worked great. I turned off the SSID broadcast back at the router and the Droid immediately lost connection and again told me the network was out of range.

I solved it by leaving SSID broadcast ON. I hate doing that, but I suppose the Bad Guys who would want to break into my home network probably have the tools to sniff out the un-broadcast SSID anyway, so leaving it ON probably doesn't hurt. Much.

But I wish Google (or Motorola or Verizon) would push out a fix for this obvious bug.

OP
vonfink13

vonfink13

Reaction score
thank you..i went in and took off all security on the router and now i am hooked up..what sort of trouble can i get in by just leaving this open..??

hmarc

Reaction score
thank you..i went in and took off all security on the router and now i am hooked up..what sort of trouble can i get in by just leaving this open..??

Plenty of trouble. Basically, anyone can connect to your wireless network which means on the other side of your router (i.e out on the Internet itself), THEY APPEAR TO BE YOU. So if there are Bad Guys using your network, doing stuff the Men With Guns don't like, then it's YOU whose door is going to get kicked in at 3am while the swat team rushes into your house.

OK, that will probably never happen. But it could. That's why you need some security. WPA preferably. WEP can be cracked in under a minute by a really good professional hacker.

Another reason an unsecured wireless network is bad is that some Bad Guy can use way more bandwidth than you're paying for and your ISP is going to expect YOU to pay for it. Since from their PoV it was YOUR network that sucked down all those bits. And you'd better hope the Bad Guy isn't downloading pirated movies or music, or the RIAA and MPAA might sue you too.

Again, unlikely, but it's happened thousands of times already...

OP
vonfink13

vonfink13

Reaction score
has anyone found a way to have your security on and use the wifi on the droid..looks like i am gonna take the router back and just use the 3g...

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
has anyone found a way to have your security on and use the wifi on the droid..looks like i am gonna take the router back and just use the 3g...

Don't take the router back. Just set it up with basic security. Like WEP on either run "mixed" mode so all the bands are available. Let the SSID be seen and turn off mac filtering. You should be able to do both and be ok. I'm not sure where you live but how many "bad guys" are in your neighborhood? IMHO some of those extra security steps are nice but unnecessary

hmarc

Reaction score

I have a Linksys (by Cisco) Wireless 802.11N router (WRT310N) set up with "WPA2 Personal" using TKIP or AES set for "mixed" (works with B, G and N variants of 802.11). I have "broadcast SSID" set to on.

It works great with my Motorola Droid, connects even faster than my MacBook Pro!

WEP is seriously flawed, and WPA came out in 2003 to replace it. WPA2 in 2004. If you care to know more, or be convinced of WPA's superiority, go to Wired Equivalent Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- but I suppose WEP is better than nothing, as it will keep out the honest and ignorant people. Where by "ignorant" I mean folks who turn on their device and see a bunch of unsecured wireless networks and don't know which one they are SUPPOSED to use so they just pick one.

vandenk

Reaction score
My home network wasn't broadcasting its SSID. This works fine for the Mac and PC laptops (5 in all). Has worked fine for years.

The Droid will let me type in the SSID (aka network name) and then says the network is out of range (or something similiar). I messed around with it to no avail and finally turned on the SSID broadcast at the router.

BINGO!

The Droid then saw it, asked for the password, and connected quickly. The WiFi then worked great. I turned off the SSID broadcast back at the router and the Droid immediately lost connection and again told me the network was out of range.

I solved it by leaving SSID broadcast ON. I hate doing that, but I suppose the Bad Guys who would want to break into my home network probably have the tools to sniff out the un-broadcast SSID anyway, so leaving it ON probably doesn't hurt. Much.

But I wish Google (or Motorola or Verizon) would push out a fix for this obvious bug.

I've had exactly the same problem. A "private" home network. Even Windoze allows a setting to "connect even if network is not broadcasting". Android/Motorolla needs to add this support.

thundercats

Reaction score
The problem that I've found with Wifi and my Droid was with me phone, I could connect to a wireless router that was either open, running WEP, or WPA2. For some reason, if the access point was running WPA it would not connect. The other thing that it COULD be is the Droid's hardware may not be able to handle AES encryption for WPA/WPA2 networks. You could try changing your security to WPA with TKIP or WPA2 with AES or TKIP and see what happens.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Do what I do to ensure security with the ssid enabled or disabled use your mac address filter so you only allow the mac addys of the devices that you approve of.

Yukon Cornelius

Reaction score
Hmarc, I am using the droid with great success on a non-broadcast ssid. The droid picks the network up immediately. I have security turned off and use mac filtering for all connections. I am using a dlink wireless router.

roadrash

Reaction score
Works for a day...

I'm using a Netgear WNR834Bv2 - with the latest firmware update they ever had.

The only issue I've had is that every couple of days, I'll find the Droid connects...has the IP...thinks its connected, but when I go into the router admin pages and look at the connected device list, the Droid is absent. I've tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the phone. You can see the router give out the IP....and the it drops.

The only "solution" I found is that running on WPA2 AES works great for a day or so...and then for no reason, I've found that changing max speed to 54Mbps on the router "fixed" the problem. A day later...issue came back...changed back to 130Mbps..."fixed"....

It's an annoyance. I'm still within my 30 days of getting the phone. I wish there was easy to way to tell that the problem is with the phone over the router. I'd rather not swap the phone just to find I have the same problems. From the research I've done online I'm not the only one who's having the issue...so I don't know.