Is there a quality issue with the wifi chip in Droid?

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Got Droid on monday, Nov 30. Came home, hooked up with my wifi (WPA2), no problems at all. Anytime Im home I have it on wifi and up to now have had no problems at all.

Get up this morning and it absolutely will not do anything when on wifi. Have forgotten network, cleared caches, looked at router settings (which have not changed by the way) and I still cannot get the phone to work on wifi. The connection says "excellent" in the wifi settings on the Droid.

At what point does it become apparent that its a hardware issue? I have my iMac running wireless without any issue so its not the router.

Suggestions?

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
^ sorry, thought I put that in the original post. Yes, I have rebooted the router, still nothing.

I have seen alot of people posting with wifi issues. Even people with similar problems where it worked fine for a period of time and all of a sudden stopped. Its worked flawlessly up to this point on wifi.

One other thing of note, got phone on monday and up to now had not rebooted it. When I got up the phone was not responsive at all and I had to pull the battery. When I restarted it I got the "red eye" thing and it hung up again. Had to re-pull the battery and then it finally started up just fine. I dont know if something has gone bad in the hardware or what.

chilibilly22

Reaction score
wi fi issues

I just had to reboot to get wifi working. Sometimes it works and other times it will show good signal but be completly unresponsive. I set it to never turn off in settings but it still does it. Also when I leave my house and wifi range it does not always automaticaly reconnect like it should. Its increasingly frustrating as I love the phone but cant count on consistant preformance from the wifi. Anyone having the same issues or have any suggestions?

darreno1

Reaction score
^ sorry, thought I put that in the original post. Yes, I have rebooted the router, still nothing.

I have seen alot of people posting with wifi issues. Even people with similar problems where it worked fine for a period of time and all of a sudden stopped. Its worked flawlessly up to this point on wifi.

One other thing of note, got phone on monday and up to now had not rebooted it. When I got up the phone was not responsive at all and I had to pull the battery. When I restarted it I got the "red eye" thing and it hung up again. Had to re-pull the battery and then it finally started up just fine. I dont know if something has gone bad in the hardware or what.

If you're having issues to point of needing to do battery pulls, maybe you should check your running services and apps to see if one of them is contributing to your problems.

I don't use Wifi a whole lot but for the times I've needed it, it has worked flawlessly.

skourg3

Reaction score
I used to have wifi issues when I first got the phone; it would randomly drop connection and reconnect, interruptig whatever I was doing. This got fixed for me with 2.0.1. If rebooting doesn't work, chexk your apps to make sure something isn't interfering. Also try on a different wifi network; I know you said you checked your router but that would at least definitely narrow it down to your phone.

Also, if you're using a wifi app (I had one for awhile that was supposed to help keep you connected to wifi), I don't recommend using it. All it did for me was drain my battery and slow my phone down with no noticable benefit.

droidtalk

Reaction score
Got Droid on monday, Nov 30. Came home, hooked up with my wifi (WPA2), no problems at all. Anytime Im home I have it on wifi and up to now have had no problems at all.

Get up this morning and it absolutely will not do anything when on wifi. Have forgotten network, cleared caches, looked at router settings (which have not changed by the way) and I still cannot get the phone to work on wifi. The connection says "excellent" in the wifi settings on the Droid.

At what point does it become apparent that its a hardware issue? I have my iMac running wireless without any issue so its not the router.

Suggestions?

....got my Droid last week. Have yet to get the Wifi working even though I have a Verizon router. Great signal strength, just cant seem to get mine to work.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I have always had problems (with multiple phones) on thw MI-424WR FIOS router. The router seems to hold the information of the phone and not release it as it should. Thus at times I will "connect" but get no throughput from the router. A reboot of the router has ALWAYS worked.

I have seen the same behavior on the WRT-54g Linsys router in my office. A wild guess is that it has something to do with the way the phone releases the Wi-fi signal particularly when the phone goes to sleep.

The fact is that it was working before and not now. Could it be a hardware problem? Sure, anything is possible... but I would say not likely. And even if it is a hardware problem... that is much different that saying it is a quality issue with the Droid wifi chip. That is simply trying to say your issue is everybody's and that is not the case.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've left my wi-fi on for a few weeks now. It's my primary way to connect to stuff since my house is cell phone signal resistant. I never have a problem with it at all. In fact the guy across the street has his on and when I go back and forth between the houses it switches automatically.