Wireless Tether Fix/Work Around

jtsativa420

Reaction score
After you changed the value you have to.reboot. After that the stock app will work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jtsativa420

Reaction score
This was my old bionic post but works exact same on razr!

The only thing you need is sql editor and the stock 3g hotspt app. Set the entitlement check field to 0 and reboot phone. the best settings i have found is channel 11 and client (DHCP) start address to 192.168.22.2 from the default 192.168.42.2. save and restart hot spot. It is a little touchy at first connect so you may have to reset hotspot after you have saved the wireless network into your computer. Also be patient once you've done this all let it connect one minute or so. It will connect, drop, connect, drop 3 times or so and even give you a limited connectivity or no internet access message. If you are patient enough to wait it out it will connect with full internet in no longer than a minute in my experience. It has worked flawlessly on my bionic 10+ times as i am always tweaking, switching roms, demonstrating to others, etc. It has also worked on two of my friends bionics. As far as the vzw swat team there is no such thing. I have multiple vzw reps as friends, ranking up into middle management, and speak to them daily about different rumors i hear and the procedures that they follow. As of now they have no way of monitoring anything done on your phone except data usage. So other than possibly noticing a spike in data usage there is little to worry about. But coming form an X to the bionic my data spiked well before the wifi work around due to the 4g capability and the different apps that come with the bionic (NFL Mobile Streaming, Zumocast, etc). Isn't that was the main selling point for vzw on the bionic? Hope this helps.

Last edited:

notbrant

Reaction score
Worked perfectly.

tethered to laptop and got 15Mb down and 6Mb up, almost as fast as my comcast connect...ON MY PHONE.

Loving that Verizon 4G :)

spyder560

Reaction score
Worked perfectly.

tethered to laptop and got 15Mb down and 6Mb up, almost as fast as my comcast connect...ON MY PHONE.

Loving that Verizon 4G :)

Nice...what app are you using? Are you using the stock Mobile Hotspot app or? I'm still struggling to get mine to access all websites. And what settings are you using? Are you using the ones jtsativa420 suggested above your posting?

spyder560

Reaction score
Last edited:

akiles

Reaction score
i did not mess with the sql stuff.
i don't think the sql hack would have any effect on wi-fi tether.
when i turn it on, i get the stock notification on top of the android wifi tether app notification, but it does not prevent me from tethering. all others i tried (barnacle and open garden) failed.

**make sure you set the profile to moto razr and do not enable access control.

also, open garden has bluetooth which completely bypasses the check (without root -i believe), but i cant test this as my iconia does not have pan profile.

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

Last edited:

spyder560

Reaction score
i did not mess with the sql stuff.
i don't think the sql hack would have any effect on wi-fi tether.
when i turn it on, i get the stock notification on top of the android wifi tether app notification, but it does not prevent me from tethering. all others i tried (barnacle and open garden) failed.

**make sure you set the profile to moto razr and do not enable access control.

also, open garden has bluetooth which completely bypasses the check (without root -i believe), but i cant test this as my iconia does not have pan profile.

Thanks for the tips. This method works but I still run into the same problem as the sqlite method using the stock Mobile Hotspot app. I still can't access these sites for some strange reason: facebook, champssports, footlocker...weirdest thing.
Can you try to access these sites and see if they work for you? I'm connecting from my Galaxy Tab not a PC, shouldn't make a difference.

akiles

Reaction score
Facebook worked fine in my tablet -didn't check the other sites.
What do you mean by "can't access"? Can you open facebook from your phone?

under wireless & networks->advanced: everything should be clear, right?

Last edited:

spyder560

Reaction score
Facebook worked fine in my tablet -didn't check the other sites.
What do you mean by "can't access"? Can you open facebook from your phone?

under wireless & networks->advanced: everything should be clear, right?

Facebook from the phone works fine yes. Everything is clear under ..WiFi/Advanced...yes. When I say can't access, I mean it'll just clock and clock and clock and no webpage appears/comes up. Facebook eventually will come up but it shows all question marks with some text where the headings/postings would be. It's not the full web page.

jacobjer

Reaction score
I got rid of sql editor. A little fine tuning and I was finally able to use the wireless tether app.....issue free.

akiles

Reaction score
spyder,
1.- try undoing what you did with sqlite. reboot.
2.- freeze the built-in mhs. reboot.
3.- install wireless tether
4.- try again.

eveything work fine for me and the difference between your phone and mine is the sqlite hack and the frozen mhs app. the only issue i have is that i still get the mhs notif. even though the app is frozen, but everything works.

please keep us posted.

jacobjer

Reaction score
How do i freeze the mhs.....looking can't find how...

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have to freeze the mhs app as it doesn't self start and everything would still work fine?

In app manager it is listed as mobile hotspot. In tbu as mobile hotspot 1.0 and the icon appears. Just select it and freeze.

Thanks akiles even easier than sqlite way!

Edit: I froze mine but tried it both with and without freezing and noticed no difference.

akiles

Reaction score
It worked without freezing for JT. Try it like that. You may still get a notification from the stock mobile hot spot app, but ignore it.
a better way, imo, is tethering by bluetooth if your device supports it. my iconia doesn't :( This method does not even require rooting (I think).

How do i freeze the mhs.....looking can't find how...