Wireless shuts off when screen sleeps

tennvol

Reaction score
Noticed a new problem on my PRO. When I have wireless connected and I lock or let the screen sleep upon waking/unolocking wireless is deactivated and 3G is on. Wireless will eventually come back on and reconnect after 20-25 seconds. Is this supposed to happen or is there yet another issue with my PRO?

DroidToro

Reaction score
Are using any power management app? Juice defender does this for me but its by design.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
T

tennvol

Reaction score
Negative. Juice defender is installed but not active. I have the battery set to performance and to always sync

google123

Reaction score
tennvol, do the following:

go to settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings>Press Menu Key>advanced>Wifi sleep policy....and set to either never, or never when plugged in. I believe the default was sleep when screen turns off.......

OP
T

tennvol

Reaction score
Didn't work.

decapitor

Reaction score
Same problem here

I have the same problem as the OP. Wifi sleep policy set to never does not work. I had previously had juicedefender installed and then uninstalled it. My guess is that Juice Defender left some residual setting that messed up the wifi sleep policy.

OP
T

tennvol

Reaction score
I also notice that when the screen sleeps the 3g goes down to one bar but when I wake the screen the signal strength jumps. Im sure this doesn't help my battery.

obutto

Reaction score
This is normal. My Droid 1, 2, and Pro all do this.

OP
T

tennvol

Reaction score
Maybe its me.... my D1 didn't do this

google123

Reaction score
My Pro doesn't turn off the wireless unless I turn it off myself......

devator22

Reaction score
My d1 does this. Doesn't matter what my wireless sleep policy is set to. Although, I don't consider it a problem so much because it saves battery. And I'm all about battery life. I've never had juice defender or any such thing installed, ever, and I'm using davrosMod for my rom, which is as stock as you can get while still calling it a custom rom. So this behavior is not something caused by an app or the rom.

Sent from my brain, with the help of my Droid...

decapitor

Reaction score
it depends on battery mode

I found that with wifi sleep set to never, the wifi still sleeps if the battery mode is set to "Maximum battery saver". If you set it to "Performace mode" the wifi will not sleep. Not that this is the most elegant solution but it does keep the wifi on if that's your number one priority.