Wi-Fi Sleep Policy... Not Working

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with their wifi toggling off when the phone goes to sleep, even when the phone is set to Never do this?

Go to Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi Settings > Menu Button > Advanced > Wi-Fi Sleep policy. I have it set to Never, but for some reason when the phone goes to sleep, it still uses 3g for updates and background data. It used to work perfectly, but not anymore (not sure if it is a 2.2 issue). When I wake up the phone, it takes a few seconds for the wifi icon to come back (also can check myverizon to verify that data is occuring when I'm within my wifi area). I just noticed this the other day and can't find a reason as to why it quit working. This is also happening on the wifes Droid X. Both are the OTA 2.2, mine is rooted, her's is not.

Any ideas?

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Is anyone else having problems with their wifi toggling off when the phone goes to sleep, even when the phone is set to Never do this?

Go to Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wi-Fi Settings > Menu Button > Advanced > Wi-Fi Sleep policy. I have it set to Never, but for some reason when the phone goes to sleep, it still uses 3g for updates and background data. It used to work perfectly, but not anymore (not sure if it is a 2.2 issue). When I wake up the phone, it takes a few seconds for the wifi icon to come back (also can check myverizon to verify that data is occuring when I'm within my wifi area). I just noticed this the other day and can't find a reason as to why it quit working. This is also happening on the wifes Droid X. Both are the OTA 2.2, mine is rooted, her's is not.

Any ideas?

Is anyone else noticing that when their WiFi sleep policy is set to never, it actually goes off when the phone sleeps? Maybe I am misinterpreting what the word never means? I think never means never, like never ever. I am still getting data usages throughout the night, it's not a super big deal, just kind of frustrating when the wireless router is right next to my phone and its using Verizon's network.

matrix2004

Reaction score
Are you sure the problem is not with the router's signal? There are a couple apps that supposedly keep the wi-fi awake but you shouldn't have to use them.Have you tried using other devices on wi-fi to see if they disconnect after a while?

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Are you sure the problem is not with the router's signal? There are a couple apps that supposedly keep the wi-fi awake but you shouldn't have to use them.Have you tried using other devices on wi-fi to see if they disconnect after a while?

I doubt it is the router. When the phone is awake I have had absolutely zero problems connecting, using, downloading, or anything associated with the router. Also, as soon as I hit the home button to wake up the phone, within a few seconds the wifi icon comes back and the 3g icon disappears. When the phone is plugged in it also never disconnects from wifi (<-- this is also an option in the advanced settings for wifi, but I have selected never, not never when plugged in)

Have you tried using other devices on wi-fi to see if they disconnect after a while?

I haven't specifically tried other devices b/c I have never had problems with my router's configuration, or problems with devices disconnecting after a while. Droids, Laptops, iPhones, PS3, all connect with ease.