Wireless hotspot - 3G Data Connection Lost

windsmith

Reaction score
When using the wireless hotspot feature, there are times when the phone will disconnect from the 3G network with the message "3G data connection lost" in the top status bar, and the 3G icon disappears. After 5-10 seconds, it will reconnect and then disconnect after 3-4 seconds. Some details:

I have full signal, 4 bars.
This does not happen when using the phone browser.
I am connected to a VZW tower.
This has happened in two different states.
The WiFi connection to the computer does not drop.
This is the only WiFi connection in range.
This happens with either a secure or open WiFi connection.

This problem seems to happen most when I have multiple browser tabs open. It happens least (actually never) when I'm playing a MMORPG. Only a reboot of the phone seems to solve the problem, and sometimes not even then.

I have contacted VZW tech support, and they don't have a solution for me.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, what has been your experience with VZW support, or have you resolved the issue on your own?

jojopotato

Reaction score
Same thing DX2

Having the same exact problem, I run my Droid x2 hotspot with my mac mini, Verizon has sent me three different devices and they have all done the same thing! Everything that you described is happening, it just indiscriminately drops in and out. Very frustrating, makes me not want to pay the price for the hotspot. I just want it to work halfway decent. The funny thing is that there are a bunch of people that are having this problem and yet all the tech act as if they have never heard of it? Dont know what to do,,,,,,,

OP
W

windsmith

Reaction score
I paid for the wireless hotspot service for 2 months, and could never stay connected. Verizon credited me with the full amount I had paid for the service after I complained. They know they have a problem, but they're avoiding a class action lawsuit by quickly settling when someone complains.

I find this to be totally unacceptable. They need to step up and fix the problem instead of offering a broken service. Unfortunately, it seems that people are willing to pay for the broken service rather than cancel it - so verizon has no incentive to determine the root cause. We as customers are pretty much left without any leverage.