Losing data connection in global mode

lelias2k

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but I've had my droid for 6 months now, and have been using Android for the last 2 years, always with Verizon.

I'm currently living in Brazil, where GSM is the predominant network. So I bought the Droid 3 global with that in mind.

Since I got here, I have to reboot my phone constantly in order to regain the 3G data connection.

At first I thought it was a problem with the carrier (Claro), since I wasn't having the same problem when travelling throughout Brazil. But then last week I decided to experiment with the settings. I have turned off the WiFi on Saturday, and I haven't lost the data connection ever since.

My question is, why is this happening? This doesn't happen in the US, where I'm constantly using the WiFi instead of the 3G. It is almost like once the phone gets out of the WiFi area it doesn't know how to reconnect to the 3G.

Any insights would be welcome, since tech support from Claro was pretty useless, especially since I didn't buy the phone with them and here in Brazil the Droid 3 is actually the Milestone 3, which has been recently released.