cannot connect to 3G

rwbta

Reaction score
Last year, Verizon gave me the unlock code for my Droid Pro so that I could use other sim cards while travelling overseas. It worked perfectly. I have been using a TIM sim in Brazil for local calls and 3G access. Recently, I did a factory reset to clear unwanted items from my phone. What I did not realize was that factory reset apparently affects the ability to connect to 3G. I've read somewhere that it is necessary to dial a special number (*228 I think) to have the phone reactivated.

But, there's more; because I am working on a project in Brazil I can't use that number. Plus, I won't be returning to the USA for another year. Also, I recently cancelled my Verizon service (and paid the early cancellation penalty fee). Since, I had not used 3G since the reset or the cancellation I am not sure which (if either or both or something else) has caused the failure to connect to 3G. When I check in the About Phone settings, it says I am disconnected but provides no other info. Yes, I did have everything else turned on.

Btw, I am able to setup tethering and a hotspot and connected to my laptop. However, there is no internet connection available. The WiFi still works fine and I am able to make calls using my TIM sim and, prior to the above described changes, I had successfully used 3G on TIM with no problems. Also, the sim card works OK on another phone (3G included).

I have heard there is a way to manually fix the problem (without dialing *228) but I have no idea what it is or where to find that information. Can anyone please assist with this problem?

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 3G not connecting after I did a factory reset in July.
It took numerous calls to Verizon & 4 days until it was fixed!

* SOLUTION:
Verizon tech support finally created a ticket &
On the 4th day they reset the MDN in the system.
I'm happy to say that when I recently performed a factory reset (in hopes of fixing the flaws from the new OTA/GB update, that it worked fine).

* Please insist with tech support to escalate the issue &/or create a tech ticket if it's still not resolved!

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments; I sure they will be helpful to others in the US. However, I am no longer a Verizon customer and am currently in Brazil for at least a year so that's not an option for me. I had read somewhere that there is a manual method to get 3G back but the poster did not remember the details. If anyone does know, please post.

found out how to get 3g back

It took about seven months but I did discover why my Droid Pro had lost 3g connectivity after a factory reset (I still think users should be warned specifically about this before hand). The answer is to simply input Access point names (APN) info for your carrier; an internet search should yield the necessary details. It's so easy; I'm surprised nobody on this site knew about ït. Go to Wireless & network settings; select Mobile networks; select Access point names; click the settings button (four small squares in a grid); select New APN and input the info your search found.

Back