cannot connect to 3G

rwbta

Reaction score
Last year, Verizon gave me the unlock code for my Droid Pro so that I could use other sim cards while travelling overseas. It worked perfectly. I have been using a TIM sim in Brazil for local calls and 3G access. Recently, I did a factory reset to clear unwanted items from my phone. What I did not realize was that factory reset apparently affects the ability to connect to 3G. I've read somewhere that it is necessary to dial a special number (*228 I think) to have the phone reactivated.

But, there's more; because I am working on a project in Brazil I can't use that number. Plus, I won't be returning to the USA for another year. Also, I recently cancelled my Verizon service (and paid the early cancellation penalty fee). Since, I had not used 3G since the reset or the cancellation I am not sure which (if either or both or something else) has caused the failure to connect to 3G. When I check in the About Phone settings, it says I am disconnected but provides no other info. Yes, I did have everything else turned on.

Btw, I am able to setup tethering and a hotspot and connected to my laptop. However, there is no internet connection available. The WiFi still works fine and I am able to make calls using my TIM sim and, prior to the above described changes, I had successfully used 3G on TIM with no problems. Also, the sim card works OK on another phone (3G included).

I have heard there is a way to manually fix the problem (without dialing *228) but I have no idea what it is or where to find that information. Can anyone please assist with this problem?

Last edited:

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 3G not connecting after I did a factory reset in July.
It took numerous calls to Verizon & 4 days until it was fixed!

* SOLUTION:
Verizon tech support finally created a ticket &
On the 4th day they reset the MDN in the system.
I'm happy to say that when I recently performed a factory reset (in hopes of fixing the flaws from the new OTA/GB update, that it worked fine).

* Please insist with tech support to escalate the issue &/or create a tech ticket if it's still not resolved!

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

OP
R

rwbta

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments; I sure they will be helpful to others in the US. However, I am no longer a Verizon customer and am currently in Brazil for at least a year so that's not an option for me. I had read somewhere that there is a manual method to get 3G back but the poster did not remember the details. If anyone does know, please post.

OP
R

rwbta

Reaction score
found out how to get 3g back

It took about seven months but I did discover why my Droid Pro had lost 3g connectivity after a factory reset (I still think users should be warned specifically about this before hand). The answer is to simply input Access point names (APN) info for your carrier; an internet search should yield the necessary details. It's so easy; I'm surprised nobody on this site knew about ït. Go to Wireless & network settings; select Mobile networks; select Access point names; click the settings button (four small squares in a grid); select New APN and input the info your search found.