Windows Falls Behind iOS and Android as Mobile Devices Unseat Desktops

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
goldmansachosvendorstudy.png

It is happening now folks. History is in the making and it isn't a history that Microsoft is likely to be happy about. According to an in-depth analysis by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft's Windows operating system has now fallen behind iOS and Android. To sum it up, the problem isn't that Microsoft is losing the operating system war on dekstop PCs. They are still the absolute dominant ruler of that realm. The problem is that desktop PCs are losing the device war. Smartphones and tablets have completely unseated the desktop PC as the important and "go-to" consumer device of choice for purchases. Here's a quote with a few more tidbits,

Why? Because, "The compute landscape has undergone a dramatic transformation over the last decade with consumers responsible for the massive market realignment. While PCs were the primary Internet connected device in 2000 (139mn shipped that year), today they represent just 29% of all Internet connected devices (1.2bn devices to ship in 2012), while smartphones and tablets comprise 66% of the total. Further, although Microsoft was the leading OS provider for compute devices in 2000 at 97% share, today the consumer compute market (1.07bn devices) is led by Android at 42% share, followed by Apple at 24%, Microsoft at 20% and other vendors at 14%."

Goldman Sachs' analysis isn't in a vacuum. Mary Meeker, once a superstar Wall Street analyst, and now a well-respected venture capitalist, recently presented a Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers report titled Internet Trends Year-End Update. The report found that tablets and smartphones were out-selling PCs in 2010's 4th quarter and have since left them in the dust. By 2013's 2nd quarter, Meeker predicts, the Apple- and Android-dominated smartphone and tablets installed base will be greater than the Windows PC installed base. Today, by Meeker's numbers, Apple iOS and Google Android have 45% of the market to Windows' 35% .

So it looks like the coin has turned. There are now more mobile devices being sold than PCs. Could this be the beginning of the end for the traditional PC? Obviously it will take years (or decades) to completely phase out the PC, especially from businesses, but this is definitely a trend that cannot be ignored. Share your thoughts in the forums.

Source: AndroidAuthority

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This graph means nothing. A house of 5 people (2 adults and 3 kids) can easily have 5 phones but only one computer. Households have never had one computer per person. You are comparing apples to pineapples here. Sure, they both have the work apple but are in no way the same thing. Throw one tablet in the mix and its one more device. What about when people buy new phones or tablets? Do they throw away the old ones like you would a computer, no, they get handed down. My old DroidX and my wife's old Thunderbolt are now just wifi devices for my kids to play on.

Until you look at what the devices are used for and then compare then based on that, there is no competition.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
exactly john. I have three phones and a tablet, well my family does. I have two laptops and a desktop.. one laptop is really old one is newer. I won't ever give up my desktop, there's just stuff you can't do on tablets and phones yet. and probably never will be able to either.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This graph means nothing. A house of 5 people (2 adults and 3 kids) can easily have 5 phones but only one computer. Households have never had one computer per person. You are comparing apples to pineapples here. Sure, they both have the work apple but are in no way the same thing. Throw one tablet in the mix and its one more device. What about when people buy new phones or tablets? Do they throw away the old ones like you would a computer, no, they get handed down. My old DroidX and my wife's old Thunderbolt are now just wifi devices for my kids to play on.

Until you look at what the devices are used for and then compare then based on that, there is no competition.

This is a great analysis. Also, I'll throw in this. The typical PC purchase requires a Monitor purchase, often a Printer, sometimes accompanied by a Wireless Mouse and Wireless Keyboard to replace the junky wired bretheren, and is also often accompanied by varied additional purchases such as paper, ink, software and games. In and out of a computer store for less than a Grand, and for just one computer is rare. By contrast, you can go into a phone center store and walk out with a internet connected phone for no money out of pocket. To Johonmaz's credit, there is also the fact that "family plans" make a 3 or 4 phone purchase at the counter the norm, and again if done as part of a package it can be at no out of pocket expense. Likewise, at the cost of tablets now - often $200 or less, multiple purchases are not unlikely. How many families go into a computer store and purchase 4 PCs - even if without all the peripherals?

comk4ver

Reaction score
I would have to counter that some pcs are also handed down just like cellphones no matter how old a pc is it's more useful than a top of the line smartphone. The only reason why smartphones are even in this conversion it's because of the internet connection. But take away the internet from a smartphone and watch the masses flock back to pcs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums
need help with your battery?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/26383-my-vzw-gnex-settings-for-battery-life-thread/

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would have to counter that some pcs are also handed down just like cellphones no matter how old a pc is it's more useful than a top of the line smartphone. The only reason why smartphones are even in this conversion it's because of the internet connection. But take away the internet from a smartphone and watch the masses flock back to pcs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums
need help with your battery?
My VZW GNex Settings For Battery Life Thread - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki

tell that to the windows 98 se 32mb of ram 233 mhz pc I just replaced at the tacoma supercuts... you couldn't even add a decent browser. My smartphone is hundreds of times better than that PC could ever hope to be. though for the most part you are indeed correct.

oh I'm keeping the PC so I can put Might and Magic 7 on it and play it in it's original environment instead of having to get all these user made fixes... which is great, but a hassle. so yes... I guess a PC no matter how old can have some uses for sure :p

jspradling7

Reaction score
I know the thread is about operating systems, but as has been mentioned, it's the hardware change taking place that is causing this. The PC will have a place for a long time to come especially in an office environment, but the new device devilopement is out running mikeysofts ability to adapt. Smartphones, followed by tablets, and soon now a landslide of smarter TVs that will take the place of many of those home PCs, do not need microsoft to run. And don't forget that software like Ubuntu can do nothing but take bigger bites out of Windows, I'm running it on this machine and my laptop. As Roland Deschain would say... "The world has moved on"
:)