windows 7 wont mount

angryunibrow

Reaction score
Win 7 64bit here also

Plugged in my phone the day I got it, mounted and all was good.

You have something wrong with your phone, or your Win 7 installation is causing an issue.

Edit: no installation of any drivers either from Motorola's website.

mjs31

Reaction score
I use windows 7 home premium 64 bit and have never had an issue. Also, the drivers loaded right away the first time so the "takes forever on windows 7" statement is not true.
There should be no need for additional drivers. Assuming this person knows what they are doing, it sounds like a conflict. When they plug it in and select mount, have the gone into administrative tools and then to computer management and on to disk management? This will list all attached drives and including the Droid. If it is listed there then you probably have a conflict somewhere. If he has a multiport card reader etc there sometimes can be drive letter issues although windows 7 does not typically have this issue.
If it was a clean install vs upgrade then I doubt it is a windows 7 issue.

Last edited:

dhuism2

Reaction score
If you upgraded from another OS instead of a clean install, then you're probably having the same problems that I have been having.

I posted a workaround in the tech support forum though.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have a netbook? Like an HP mini or anything? Cause I was wondering how hard it would be to run a dual boot of like Ubuntu and Windows....

OP
D

dawgintn

Reaction score
If you upgraded from another OS instead of a clean install, then you're probably having the same problems that I have been having.

I posted a workaround in the tech support forum though.

no its a clean intall, he just got this laptop maybe 2 weeks ago

mattygabe

Reaction score
Do any of you have a netbook? Like an HP mini or anything? Cause I was wondering how hard it would be to run a dual boot of like Ubuntu and Windows....
A good option for you (not sure if it works in Win7 yet) is called Wubi. It installs Ubuntu/Xubuntu as a removable application in Windows' eyes. Now, absolute performance hogs and native Linux users won't care for this method, as I don't believe there's a true swap partition, and it doesn't partition your hard drive (but rather installs it as a program on the Windows partition), but is a great option for Windows users to get to know Linux. I haven't attempted to install it on Win7 (32 OR 64bit), but I had it while on Windows Vista Home Premium and worked like a charm. I even did some C programming, compiling my stuff in GCC.

Scribble

Reaction score
Is it giving an actual error message (IE drivers not loaded?) or is it just not showing up as a drive on the system?

If the later, he has a drive letter conflict. (The system wants to assign it a letter that's already in use.)

Go to: Control Panel ---> System Security ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management ---> Disk Management (from the selections on the left)

A list of all the drives will pop up. Ypu'll probably see Mr Droid there with no letter assigned. Right click him, and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths...

You can give him whatever you want. I'd assign him something late in the alphabet like M or K or something to prevent it from happening again. Once you assign it, it'll stick.

Steeeler

Reaction score
Glad to see someone else is having a problem with windows 7. It has been driving me batty.

I have a clean install of windows 7, 64 bit. When I mount the droid, I get the pop up on windows asking me if I want to open to see the files, then it shuts down and unmounts the droid automatically. Its a quick process, mount for a second then unmount. Very weird!

Scribble

Reaction score
Glad to see someone else is having a problem with windows 7. It has been driving me batty.

I have a clean install of windows 7, 64 bit. When I mount the droid, I get the pop up on windows asking me if I want to open to see the files, then it shuts down and unmounts the droid automatically. Its a quick process, mount for a second then unmount. Very weird!

Are you plugging into a hub per chance? Or Do you have a laptop?

This sounds like you're plugging into a USB port that can't muster up enough power to load the Droid. (Do you have a lot of other things plugged into USB?)

Get yourself a powered hub. This will probably solve your problem.

Steeeler

Reaction score

Are you plugging into a hub per chance? Or Do you have a laptop?

This sounds like you're plugging into a USB port that can't muster up enough power to load the Droid. (Do you have a lot of other things plugged into USB?)

Get yourself a powered hub. This will probably solve your problem.

Interesting. I never thought of that. It is on a pc using the front two usb ports. Nothing else is attached to them.

I will have to check tonight to see if it will mount using a usb port on the back of the tower.

Thanks for the response!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought you guys were just unlucky to be having this problem.....

But sure enough this morning I had the same thing happen to me!! On Windows 7! I have no clue as to why.....I've had my Droid for going on 3 months and that was the first time this ever happened...

I rebooted my laptop and all was good though, so far

Scribble

Reaction score
Interesting. I never thought of that. It is on a pc using the front two usb ports. Nothing else is attached to them.

I will have to check tonight to see if it will mount using a usb port on the back of the tower.

Thanks for the response!

A lot of times the front ports are actually just a hub from the main USB back ports.

On laptops it's even worse... Even though you might have 3 USB ports you actually only have 1 and a hub for the others.

OP
D

dawgintn

Reaction score
Updated

Took phone to verizon today, it would mount to their computer, but they was running vista.

He then called motorola again who told him for 2nd time the droid is not comepatable for w7. He called verizon who also told him it wasn't comepatable with w7.
He has delate the drive and install it back but nothing helps