Will the RAZR's locked bootloader prevent use of Wireless Tether apps?

melucci

Reaction score
As I understand it, the locked bootloader on the RAZR will prevent using custom kernels. I just read this on the android wi-fi tether page:
android-wifi-tether
"This application requires a "rooted"-device and(probably) a custom-kernel which supports netfilter (iptables)." I have no idea what netfilter (iptables) means.

Does this mean that the RAZR will not support wireless tether (except the carriers official version, of course!)? This would be an absolute deal breaker for me and I'll have to cancel my pre-order asap.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Well don't know about the kernels but someone has already obtained root access on the new Razr. Check under Motorola Razr forums under hack.

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

OP
M

melucci

Reaction score
Well don't know about the kernels but someone has already obtained root access on the new Razr. Check under Motorola Razr forums under hack.
I saw the discussion on rooting. In it Winner00 stated that the locked bootloader would not prevent rooting, but would prevent using custom kernels. My question is, will the inability to change the kernel keep the RAZR from running wireless tether apps?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Pretty sure the other locked Moto phones could do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Cinoib

Reaction score
I saw the discussion on rooting. In it Winner00 stated that the locked bootloader would not prevent rooting, but would prevent using custom kernels. My question is, will the inability to change the kernel keep the RAZR from running wireless tether apps?

For what it's worth my Bionic is locked boot loader and I'm rooted and have been using stock tether application. I SqLited the permissions. I would think I could Do that with the Rzar.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

killalax

Reaction score
The bootloader for the RAZR for Verizon has been unlocked... no need to fray honnychilds

killalax

Reaction score

hookerdj

Reaction score
Except Verizon has removed the unlockable boot loader feature... so it's locked is what i am understanding

Motorola wasn't exactly fibbing when it said all future phones would ship with unlockable bootloaders, as it appears they will. There's just one teensy obstacle impeding the joy of ROM flashers worldwide: it's up to the carriers' discretion to keep it that way. In a chat with AusDroid, Moto's VP of Enterprise Mobile Devices, Christy Wyatt, revealed that the RAZR would indeed be the OEM's first device to ship with a software unlock. Unfortunately, as in the case of the DROID variant, operators like Verizon have chosen to put the smack down on any custom hackery, citing the typical concerns over security. But it's not all grey wireless skies, the handset's global version will ship with the code on board, so your best bet for CM7 and MIUI looks to be an off-contract option. Or, you know, there's always that Big Red Galaxy Nexus.

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yep its still locked down on Verizon. Thats why I am going with the Galaxy Nexus. No locked bootloader.

shizumie

Reaction score
For myself the g nex, even though no sd.. (grumbles.....)
However hoping all 3 of these phones make their users happy. Is there no hope of taking info from euro..unlocked razr to use on locked vzw razr?

sent while flying my kite in the rain

Fenian

Reaction score
Once rooted, download sqlite editor 1.4.1. Open, go storage n settings( with the hammer n screwdriver), settings, #150-entitlement check, change the value from 1 to 0. Reboot. Enjoy.

LogInName

Reaction score
Wireless Tether for RAZR

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not.

[video=youtube;HdTOOfogAaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTOOfogAaU&feature=related[/video]

armus

Reaction score
So I was able to set up the wireles tether but I can not get it to work. I turn it on, with an SSID and pw and such. I see it on the laptop and hit connect but it reports as being unsuccessful. At best I've gotten it to connect and transfer a page or two but it's been rough. Anyone have better results?

II am of course rooted and SQlited