WIFI won't connect

icemanrrc

Reaction score
My Mot Droid has suddenly stopped connecting to my WIFI. It shows up in my list of wifi networks, but will not connect. It says under Wifi Settings "Disconnected." Under Wifi networks is says "remembered." It has full signal strength. If I manually tap on my wifi network on the wifi network list, and tap "connect" it still doesn't do anything. Yes, I made sure airplane mode was not checked and static IP address is also not checked. I even tapped to manually turn off wifi and turn it back on with no results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmart95

Reaction score
I have had this problem sometimes before and what works for me is to forget the network and try reconnecting by entering the password in again. And if that doesn't work go into airplane mode and then come out of it and then try reconnecting

Sent from my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Mot Droid has suddenly stopped connecting to my WIFI. It shows up in my list of wifi networks, but will not connect. It says under Wifi Settings "Disconnected." Under Wifi networks is says "remembered." It has full signal strength. If I manually tap on my wifi network on the wifi network list, and tap "connect" it still doesn't do anything. Yes, I made sure airplane mode was not checked and static IP address is also not checked. I even tapped to manually turn off wifi and turn it back on with no results.

:welcome: to the forum. Just an FYI, WiFi does work in Airplane Mode so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

You may want to download an app called WiFi Analyzer from the Market. It may be able to show you what channel your wifi should be on for optimum connection strength.

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Since 2.2, my wifi connects, I have the icon, but the phone is not receiving connectivity. I am stumped. I downloaded JRummy Kangerade, figuring the new ROM would fix it, but not. Solution??

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll second K-Mart's suggestion. I had this problem one time and I deleted the connection and started over. That solved it for me too. Good luck.

Taegost

Reaction score
I was having intermittent issues at home with it as well... Until I used WiFi analyzer and found that there are 13 wireless networks on channel 5 (What I was using), 8 on 6, and 15 on 4... But only 3 on channel 1 and they're all weak :)
Gotta love living in an apartment complex!
Once i changed the router to channel 1, I haven't had an issue since.

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Doesn't work. You can't delete a connection. You can only tell it to "forget" the connection on the Droid, unless you see something I don't see. I'm at home, and when you scan the available connections, it just shows my D-Link router.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doesn't work. You can't delete a connection. You can only tell it to "forget" the connection on the Droid, unless you see something I don't see. I'm at home, and when you scan the available connections, it just shows my D-Link router.

Exchange "forget" for "delete" in my post.

HeathCliff

Reaction score
To BayouFlyFisher: I didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you. When you hard-press on an individual connection, in my case D-Link, the only option listed is Forget Network. There's no option to Delete, at least on 2.2 rooted with JRummy Kangerade, with P3Droid kernel.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's cool. Just in a bad mood. Had to put down 16 year old dog this morning. Sure do get attached. Sorry for being snippy.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Bad mood? It's devastating. I'm so sorry. What a major loss for you.

I did get my connection to work, you were ultimately correct, but I had to do it via the Desktop. I called D-Link support, and they helped me reconfigure the settings. I changed the name from D Link to my own name, and added encryption which I didn't have previously. So, by changing the info, it was, as you said, in essence deleting and reconfiguring, which I couldn't do directly on the phone.

OP
I

icemanrrc

Reaction score
Still doesn't work. I guess I will have to take it to a verizon store.

imjuschilling

Reaction score
Had same issues.....

I had the same problem and tried to forget my wi-fi network and type in the password again several times and couldn't get it to work, I finally figured out that I had too many devices set up on my wireless router, and the default DHCP address release was set to 5, so it wouldn't release an IP address to my Motorola Droid because too many IP addresses were already released to other devices. Make sure that you don't have too many devices already connected to your wi-fi network eating up your address pool. Hopefully that helps someone. dancedroid

OP
I

icemanrrc

Reaction score
I got it figured out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the deal. When trying to add or configure a wireless network, the Droid asks for the network password. THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU NEED! What you are supposed to enter is your NETWORK SECURITY KEY.

Works like a champ now!