WiFi will not disconnect/auto connect?

Reaction score
The phone will not disconnect from a Wifi I use to be connected to when I am out of range of it. In other words the phone WiFi app thinks its still connected to it when in fact I am not. Only way to fix it is turn Wifi off or ask it to disconnect from the one I am no longer connected to/in range of then it will find the one I am with in range of. Use to only happen once an a while now it happens allot. Is this matters I connect to allot of wifi net works with the work I do I visit allot of them and have a couple hundred in the Wifi memory from last time I connected to them and allot with passwords. Talked to Verizion and HTC both say cant help...both say conflicting depending what day I call that they dont know of it being a issue and next day say they know it is a issue and a fix may coming some day soon. Tried to rest it and remove some of the Wifi's I have in memory and no help.

I have the LTE 4G to be sure I'm posting in the proper fourm confusing to me if I am not how to know the proper fourm. May want to make the pictures bigger or add possible names since it seems my phone at least goes buy several names.

vey

Reaction score
I will tell you what i do when I have WiFi trouble. My troubles aren't like yours. In my case, it won't connect and the list comes and goes, most goes.

When I poked around on the web, all I found was to do a system reset. :icon_eek: That works, but jeepers, how long does it take to get back to normal?

I have a rooted phone and I have a Nandroid backup and running a full recovery fixed it as well, but then I noticed an advanced recovery option to just recover the system. That works, too and it is quicker and easier. My Wifi list comes right back.

I have noticed that when I am having Wifi trouble, my memory becomes very low. I gain over 150 MB after I run a system recovery.

So, for now, if you don't have a rooted phone and a nandroid backup that dates before your troubles, then I would do a system reset. Then I would root and then I would run a nandroid backup for next time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply an info. I would like to try to do a system reset an then a backup. Not willing to root it though. Please post or a link how to do it though... :hail:

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the link on how to reset...but that details on how to do a hard reset not a soft one that was said to work

vey

Reaction score
Some people call restarting a "soft reset." I try this first before I try anything else and I assume others do, too.

I don't think that Androaid has a soft reset the way the old WinMo phones did. But Verizon must get pestered with the question, so they included this page:
Soft Reset - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC

You can try it, but it didn't do anything for me when I had WiFi problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
The soft Reset as the one you mentioned in last post did not fix my issue. I want to fix my issue....BUT....To recover from it is not worth it in less I can bac my Wifi accounts and pass words. Any way to find out if Google will do it? I herd it may but no way to confirm it an if it will with my phone.

vey

Reaction score
The soft Reset as the one you mentioned in last post did not fix my issue. I want to fix my issue....BUT....To recover from it is not worth it in less I can bac my Wifi accounts and pass words. Any way to find out if Google will do it? I herd it may but no way to confirm it an if it will with my phone.

Yup. It can be done, but you have to be rooted. Google will not do it. The file that stores all the Wifi profiles is:

/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
But only root has permission to even read it.

So here is another plan. Root the phone, install the app called FX then install the root add-on, copy that file to your SD card. Then you can do the reset. I'm pretty sure you have to re=root after a hard reset.

I don't think that Titanium Backup (which requires root) backs that file up. So i think I should go ahead and copy that file myself.

To recover from it is not worth it in less I can bac my Wifi accounts and pass words.

Wot? Tossing the phone in the trash because of loss of Wifi is better?

OP
J
Reaction score
Bump. I have been in contact with HTC and they told me it is a known problem (they track all problems an they show others have the same one) which they are working on to try to fix.

vey

Reaction score
Bump. I have been in contact with HTC and they told me it is a known problem (they track all problems an they show others have the same one) which they are working on to try to fix.

->Knocking on wood. <- I changed my ROM to another HTC Sense based one called Touch of Blue and so far, I've had it hang up once, but restarting it was all i needed to do. We will see how it goes.

I wouldn't expect much help from HTC. The Incredible is way too old for fixes now. The last update was for security only.