droid X will not connect to wifi

flyingsushi

Reaction score
In the last several months I noticed my Droid X has been have some problems staying connected to wifi, both at home and in public. About 2 weeks ago it got worse and now I can not connect at all. It says my wifi is disconnected and out of range.

I tried to clear out all my wifi connections and start over, like at home and it still will not connect. No matter how close I am to the box my phone still says out of range.

Anyone know if this can be fixed? I wonder if my phone is old. I have had this thing since the first few weeks it was released a few years ago.

Thanks

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
In the last several months I noticed my Droid X has been have some problems staying connected to wifi, both at home and in public. About 2 weeks ago it got worse and now I can not connect at all. It says my wifi is disconnected and out of range.

I tried to clear out all my wifi connections and start over, like at home and it still will not connect. No matter how close I am to the box my phone still says out of range.

Anyone know if this can be fixed? I wonder if my phone is old. I have had this thing since the first few weeks it was released a few years ago.

Thanks

Did you try wifi selections, and then scan?

OP
F

flyingsushi

Reaction score
I cant find anything that says exactly wifi selections. However, in Wireless & Network Settings, then in Manage Networks it says, not in range. Then in Wifi Settings, it says wifi scanning....

This phone acts as if it cant pick up wifi anymore. Once in a blue moon I notice it will connect for a few minutes, but only with one or two bars for signal strength.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
So scanning networks does nothing? This happened to be on the Bionic, I'm trying to remember how i fixed it. When you do a scan, does any wifi networks show up?

OP
F

flyingsushi

Reaction score
I think the scan is automatic. I dont think I can tell the phone to scan for wifi because it does it automatically, I can turn wifi on or off, which I have tried. The phone is acting as if I am not in range for a minimum signal.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I can't answer more cause I don't know what kind of router you have. Even if I did, I have a Cisco and it was almost worth punching a wall then listen to this guy talk. I done have an X but will keep trying to help ya.

clueless77

Reaction score
well you could do a factory data reset, i know it sucks because you have to re install everything, but it helps a lot of the time. not sure if you are familiar with stock recovery, you could factory data reset and clear cache. these are some drastic measures i realize. but if you have had it for two years you should be up for an upgrade soon.

OP
F

flyingsushi

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I am not willing to do a factory reset yet because my home computer just died and I have some pics and videos I do not want to loose.

My wife used my upgrade last August. Could I wait another 6 months, absolutely. I am thinking about the droid dna or the galaxy note 2. The other option is to keep what I have until future releases.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Root your phone, download root explorer or something similar and move all your pics and videos to your external card, then use titanium backup to back up your apps. You won't miss a thing. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
F

flyingsushi

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Even though I am up for an upgrade I was trying not to use it yet. My issues with connecting from wifi have gone from a dropped connection here and there to no connection anywhere, home, work, or any other public wifi I cant seem to connect. If I do if get connected it is only one bar for a minute or two. I have also noticed starting last week I am losing my internet connection with verizon more frequently. I also sometimes get repeated texts. Example, if some texts me "hello", sometimes I get that texted 2-5 times in a row. The phone seems to randomly reboot more often and I have quick unexplained periods where the battery will go from 90%-50% very quickly. Also, I can be charging the phone and it can go from 70% to a full charge in no time.

Some things I can work around, some I cant. I got this phone when the droid x was first released. I think it is becoming obvious that maybe the phone is just old and starting to fail.

Thanks again to those who offered some solutions.

OP
F

flyingsushi

Reaction score
Verizon also suggested a factory reset. They told me a tethering app has recently been interfering and they are seeing many people with this problem. I dont know which one it was. I had Barnicle and Foxfi. However, my gps still is not working. Just fyi if someone is having a connection issue with wifi, the factory reset worked. Thanks.