wifi tether issues

wolfmann

Reaction score
i have a mnotorola droid running 2.1 rooted rom (4-21) Jrummy's Remix V0.7 - Cyanmod 5.0.6.2 **5 Theme Choices**. the graphics are a little slow, and have thought about finding out how to overclock just a little, but the issue that i am having is that after i installed the formenttioned rom i can get the wifi tether to work. i have made sure that the wifi is on but when i got into the app for the tethering it just says cannot start tethering please try again. dont understand what is going on, the wifi is working when im here at home, but im a truck driver and the wifi tether would be much apperciated and used by me in the rig for my laptop i do have pda net but would rather use wifi if possible. if there is anyone that can help it would be much appreciated, thanks:motdroidhoriz:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, when you are home your laptop connects to wifi. My sense is that, at home, your computer is connecting to a wifi router and not your phone. I think you need to install a kernel that allows tethering. Typically, the OC kernels support the tethering as well as OC.

Mike

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try barnacle wifi tethering app. (if you are using that then nevermind)

OP
W

wolfmann

Reaction score
Well the phone says unable to start tethering not the comp. If I need to install a different kernel where I find those at, I'm still learning my way around this forum.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are several kernels available. Some popular ones are Chevy, Bekit, and P3Droid. Typically, the rom developers have a link on their sites to these and other kernels.

I'm rooted so I've not used an OC kernel with an unrooted phone. I'm not sure how to tell you to proceed unless you are rooted.

Mike

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
.7 comes with a 1.1 overclock kernel, but it does not allow for wifi tethering. I haven't tried any other kernels to figure out which work.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gerat! and bad reading on my part your are rooted. I have Cyanogen with Bekit's 1.2 GHZ OC kernel. I am able to connect to my MacBook via tethering.

Mike

bolden88

Reaction score
OK I am in a similar boat. I am rooted and have SMoked glass 6. I installed the wifi tether during install. I have OC of 800mhz. The wifi starts my computer see's AndroidTether but whenI choose it, it says unavailable. Been trying since March. Going insane. Advise on what to use that will definitely work. PDAnet gave me hardware issue ". Whatever "android ADB interface" Device not configured correctly, error 1. whatever that means. Thanks

Last edited: