Wifi sleep vs off

ModusPwnens

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have another question. I used to have a smart action setup so that when my screen turned off, the wifi turned off too (as well as cellular data and gps). This saved a ton of battery. So much battery, that if I left my phone on overnight while I slept, it would only lose 10% charge.

Anyways, yesterday I was messing around with my phone and I found a setting for wifi sleep policy. One option was for it to go to sleep when the screen turns off. I tried that, but then when I looked at battery usage, I noticed that wifi was using a bit more battery than it did before. Additionally, the battery usage graph indicated that the wifi was pretty much never turning off. Is the wifi sleep policy working as intended or should I just go back to turning off wifi in a smart action?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would just use the smart action, the setting just within the Wifi section does not work right. I used just that all day and it was about 75% of the time it left Wifi on and 25% it actually shut it off. I just disabled that setting in Wifi settings and just use the smart action to turn off Wifi with phone screen off and it works perfectly.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I never put wifi to sleep. It does consume a tad bit more battery by scanning and reconnecting every time the device wakes. Optimal setting is to never have it sleep.

Sent from Droid RAZR

OP
M

ModusPwnens

Reaction score
I never put wifi to sleep. It does consume a tad bit more battery by scanning and reconnecting every time the device wakes. Optimal setting is to never have it sleep.

Sent from Droid RAZR

I'm pretty sure the battery consumed by having the wifi constantly on is going to be greater than scanning and reconnecting to a network when you wake the device. The only time this will not be the case is if you are constantly pulling your phone out of your pocket and waking it up. That being said, if you turn it off this way with a smart action, you won't get any notifications, so it may not work for some people.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm pretty sure the battery consumed by having the wifi constantly on is going to be greater than scanning and reconnecting to a network when you wake the device. The only time this will not be the case is if you are constantly pulling your phone out of your pocket and waking it up. That being said, if you turn it off this way with a smart action, you won't get any notifications, so it may not work for some people.
correct. If the user just leaves the device in pocket for most of the day it won't be an issue. I toggle the wi-fi on while at home and work and have it always on. When out it's off. At any rate, you are right but if they use their phone throughout the day while in a wifi spot it WILL use up battery.

Remember every time your phone scans and connects it uses battery. It's sort of like highway driving and city driving. You get better mpg on the highway because of less stop and go.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
All I know is my wifi went from being the highest battery consumer to the lowest with the smart action so I am sticking with it.