Cellular data won't turn on

Deron

Reaction score
All the sudden, my 3g will not turn on. It is related to Smart Actions because I can get it to turn on only if I create a smart action to turn on 3g when screen is on. I have been using a smart action app that turns off cell data when screen is off. But now It won't come on automatically when screen turns on. I have to use wifi. Gonna factory reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Does the razr still have a battery mode? Check that.

Leaveit2Lauren

Reaction score
I had the same issue which resolved itself after a factory reset.

jst4fun

Reaction score
I keep loosing DATA all day today. My first day with it and I live in a 3G area. All day today it goes off, comes on, goes off, comes on.....etc. My battery lasted about 9 hours today of moderate to little use. I understand that the battery gets much better after about 3 or 4 days. Hope that is the case, but the reason I got rid of my Bionic was because of the DATA issue with it.
We will wait and see I guess.

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
Yes, the factory reset did the trick. At least I did not need to delete all the media from internal memory or my Micro SD card. But now I have to set my phone up again. At least it is works now.

Reaction score
sorry for the zombie thread but i ran into this today on my razr maxx. it seems as if smartactions changed the default state of the phone to have the cellular data always off. i take it nothing can be done within the OS and factory reset is the only option?

Sal

Reaction score
I was using a smart action, keyed to the night time frame, that would turn on wifi and turn off cell data and blue tooth. It worked fine for a few days, with wifi turning off and cell data turning back on in the morning as planned. But today it suddenly didn't work and I had to physically turn on cell data. Wonder why it would suddenly stop working... Does the default data setting just change after a few days?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was using a smart action, keyed to the night time frame, that would turn on wifi and turn off cell data and blue tooth. It worked fine for a few days, with wifi turning off and cell data turning back on in the morning as planned. But today it suddenly didn't work and I had to physically turn on cell data. Wonder why it would suddenly stop working... Does the default data setting just change after a few days?

that's what i'm wondering as well. i had the night time frame with motion detection set to turn off cell data and the other radios. now it's as if the default setting for the phone is to always keep cell data off. i can turn it back on through a smartaction. how do you physically turn on the cell data? i've looked online and turned my phone inside out and can't find it in the settings. i'm sure it's something simple that i've overlooked...

EDIT: nm just found it...lol. i feel stupid. so i guess i just had to look in data manager. if it's just a matter of toggling that to get it back, it's not terrible, but the smartactions program needs to be updated to fix this.

Last edited:

Sal

Reaction score
that's what i'm wondering as well. i had the night time frame with motion detection set to turn off cell data and the other radios. now it's as if the default setting for the phone is to always keep cell data off. i can turn it back on through a smartaction. how do you physically turn on the cell data? i've looked online and turned my phone inside out and can't find it in the settings. i'm sure it's something simple that i've overlooked...

EDIT: nm just found it...lol. i feel stupid. so i guess i just had to look in data manager. if it's just a matter of toggling that to get it back, it's not terrible, but the smartactions program needs to be updated to fix this.

They definitely do need to fix this. In the meantime, I've turned off that part of smart action and am leaving cell data on. Hopefully having wifi on neutralizes it enough from a battery standpoint. Also, there's no "dumb"in Android. Just "haven't figured that out yet!"

eddie7

Reaction score
I keep loosing DATA all day today. My first day with it and I live in a 3G area. All day today it goes off, comes on, goes off, comes on.....etc. My battery lasted about 9 hours today of moderate to little use. I understand that the battery gets much better after about 3 or 4 days. Hope that is the case, but the reason I got rid of my Bionic was because of the DATA issue with it.
We will wait and see I guess.
9 hours with moderate use is good. If your still having data issues it might be your service area. Did your Razr come with the latest update 2.3.6 ?

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
OP here.

I dumped my Droid Razr a few weeks ago and replaced it with a Rezound + Extended Battery... And I couldn't be happier. Now I leave my 4G on all the time and get more than a day on one charge. Learned my lesson.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Chocula78

Reaction score
I am having problems similar to other posters. I have a Smart Action (SA) that turns off wifi and the data connection (dc) when the screen is off and the phone is not moving. When the phone is moving or the screen is on, I have a SA to turn off the dc when connected to wifi (at work or home).

Here's my problem: I pick the phone up from my desk (it has been sitting for at least 15 minutes), leave my office's wifi zone and turn the screen on. The phone SHOULD make a data connection, but it doesn't. THE REALLY SCREWY THING is that the dc is ENABLED IN THE SETTINGS.

W. T. F. The only thing I can do to get the phone to make a data connection is toggle it on and off. HUGE PIA considering how long the phone takes to turn on.

Also, if I don't toggle on/off, if I walk back into the wifi zone, the wifi won't turn on EVEN THOUGH IT'S ENABLED IN THE SETTINGS.

Anyone else have this problem. I'm trying to avoid a freaking factory reset. (FFR). Eff FFR's....takes me forever to get the phone set up right again.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try removing the "turn off wifi" action. Not saving much by having if off and SA relies on wifi alot. Worth a shot

----posted maxx'ed out----
Edited

Chocula78

Reaction score
Try removing the "turn off wifi" action. Not saving much by having if off and SA relies on wifi alot. Worth a shot

Edited

I tried this and it worked...for a day. My office's lunch room is out of range of the wifi. So when I go eat at noon, I leave the wifi zone and should smoothly transition to a mobile data connection (3g...my office can't get LTE). Today I went to the lunchroom to get some coffee and check my twitter....no effing data connection. But my settings say that data is enabled. W. T. F.

Do I just have a bad phone? My last resort is a hard factory reset to see if this corrects the problem.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Edited

I agree with this post, however I have found a solution around that ^^, which allows me to have WIFI off when I am no where near a known WIFI connection. First, do as ThaDroidz says, and delete any Action related to turning WIFI on or off. Then, download and install "Verizon WIFI Auto-On". You then set up hotspot locations via the map or GPS initially, such as Home, Work, Starbucks-5th&Main, etc. Now, Verizon's cellular towers tell the phone when it's in range of the hotspot (no GPS required), and automatically activates the WIFI. When you leave the WIFI range, the towers tell the phone to shut WIFI down. Now, I am not sure how this will work when walking just out of reach of the WIFI, but for distance travelling, such as driving from work to home or vice versa, it works perfectly for me. As ThaDroidz says, Smart Actions relies on WIFI heavily, sometimes it makes no sense at all, but I am not the Dev, so I don't know just what benefit WIFI has in helping Smart Actions to know where it is.

I tried this and it worked...for a day. My office's lunch room is out of range of the wifi. So when I go eat at noon, I leave the wifi zone and should smoothly transition to a mobile data connection (3g...my office can't get LTE). Today I went to the lunchroom to get some coffee and check my twitter....no effing data connection. But my settings say that data is enabled. W. T. F.

Do I just have a bad phone? My last resort is a hard factory reset to see if this corrects the problem.

I just helped another resolve this - sort of... I use Data Enabler Widget. I place that on my home screen and it not only lets me turn on or off data anytime I want, but it is also more effective at toggling data than either the settings in the menu or toggling Airplane mode. As an added benefit, it shows what state the data is in by the green light. The other person in a different thread reported it worked even when all the other methods didn't for him/her.