Wifi settings question

wil318466

Reaction score
Well, I've determined that any of my "why does my battery sometimes drain quickly, other times not?" has come down to Wifi being turned on or off (I believe automatically because of locale).

I've now just simply turned it off at all times, and if I ever need it, I'll simply manually enable or disable it. Now, here's my question :

Is Wifi ever really needed? It seems 3g works fine, speed is fine, streaming audio is fine... why woudl I go Wifi unless I'm in a place which offers it free and fast, and have it plugged in? Even then, if I just used the 3g network everything seems to work great too.

Any pros/cons other than turning wifi on for a little more speed?

-Wil

dajakal

Reaction score
You can use certain hotspots to "train" Locale - e.g., connecting to the network "Home" means...you're at home. But, yea, it's a battery drain and I only turn it on manually when I'm plugged in.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will also allow for multiple things at once. Like with WIFI on.. You can take a call and surf the web at the same time. Since the web wil be using the WIFI connection. That's a good reason especially if you are on the road

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
"I will also allow for multiple things at once. Like with WIFI on.. You can take a call and surf the web at the same time. Since the web wil be using the WIFI connection. That's a good reason especially if you are on the road "

Thank you. Yes, that IS a valid reason to switch to WiFi. This may sound very strange, but I PREFER to have it use 3G and interrupt my service. Here's why : I drive with the phone mounted, steaming music AND using google maps. When I receive a phone call, the music stops, I talk on the phone, and when I'm finished the music resumes. Perfect.

If it did not behave like that, I believe I'd be at much higher risk of being in a car accident. haha. I'd have switch to music player, pause, switch back to the phone call.... would be an nightmare. Well, this is what I'm picturing, anyway.

-Wil