WiFi Questions (Regarding Router)

ReyZero

Reaction score
I'm about fed up with the Droid 2's WiFi issues, and the inability to do anything to fix it within itself.

To anyone NOT having any problems with their WiFi, what router are you using, what type (a,b,g,n) and what security type.

I'm using a NetGear with WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK with g & b trying different channels (someone said 6 was weird, whatever) and I'm having no luck.

I'll get it to work one day after resetting, then after trying to search the android market or the browser it'll say nothing is responding, retry later. I'll check the WiFi and it'll say connected, so I'll turn it off then on again and then it starts to spam on/off/on/off or continue to say it's connected with 0 traffic moving through.

I'm checking the IP and it's fine, I have my iPhone next to it and it's working like a champ on the WiFi (about the only thing working on it I might add).

Anyone got some feedback?

Jeebz88

Reaction score
Mine works fine with my old linksys g router using WEP, but it's hit or miss with the PEAP on my college's network, and I have to manually connect each time when on that network.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Polymira

Reaction score
I have the same issues on my WRT54GS (running tomato firmware)

My Droid 1 did the same thing (connected but no data .. not the off on off on thing the D2 does) ... so i'm thinking it's either a moto issue, or Android. But it kills me none the less.

HOSTILEkid63

Reaction score
I am using the linksys WRT54GS with WPA2 w/ AES + TKIP, and am not having any issues with wireless on Moto Droid 1.

Your problem sounds like a problem with the droid itself, because unless you've got a ton of devices in your home using up IP addresses, it won't have anything to do with the router. Also channel 6 is the default, make sure you stay on either channels 1,6, or 11 otherwise, the Wireless may catch interference from another router, possibly a neighbor. If you're having interference with your neighbor, switch to either channel 1, or 11 and you shouldn't have any more interference.

I'm not sure how many addresses your router is permitting to your home network either. Do you know if your Netgear router has a limit set as to how many addresses it may give out? Also, if you're getting a 169.254.x.x address, that's an APIPA address, which means your device couldn't locate a DHCP server, which is built in on most home routers.

Let me know if any of that helps.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
No, I do not have the 169.XXX.... address, I learned that the hard way when my iPhone was taught the trick of never getting DHCP from any internet ever. Thus I started doing static IP. My first thought on the wifi problems was to turn the device to a static IP, helped for awhile, then did it's normal thing after a day later.

There's nothing in the router regarding limits to address, it's just the Droid seems to freak out after a set amount of data passage.

Phone works fine for awhile, surfing, downloading apps, no problem.
Then 1 of two things happens
1) I download an App, it stops at 10%, all internet dies, I have to turn off WiFi and reboot the phone to get any connection at all.
2) I research on the browser, next page doesn't load, tells me to retry connection, and I have to turn off wifi and reboot the phone.

It hasn't had a problem since I wrote this thread, but it hasn't been a day yet so we'll see.

Thanks for all the help so far, it might also be a note that I keep the phone with WiFi on even while it's sleeping. I'm not sure how well the phone handles when it's taken away from the WiFi and then back, but the phone wasn't moved when the problem happened for the X time when I wrote the thread.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
Well it did it again. I was downloading 2 updates for my apps' and the first one froze at 89% and now the whole internet died on the phone. It still says I'm connected, and there's no on/off spam, it's just not doing anything. Lovely

Xegesis

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Disable WMM in your router settings.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
My D1 and now D2 would not connect reliably to my home router, no problems w/other routers...have never been able to figure out what is so "special" about my home setup...SMC N router, connects to everything else fine, WPA Personal w/ TKIP-AES, dynamic IP, everything pretty much stock/standard settings, but I can only use wifi for a few minutes...

It stays connected (or thinks it is) but internet access just stops. Have to turn wifi on/off and then it connects again and works for a little and then stops again.

trook

Reaction score
I have all the same problems with my d2 on my d-link router. Even my moto backflip was less buggy than this when it came to wifi.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
After searching around it seems WMM screws up plenty of devices, like Blackberry phones.

Problem is, can't find it in my Netgear router at all, and although I find patch notes talking about WMM, I can't find it anywhere in any manual. Lovely - Technology is your friend, until it's your enemy...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just posted this over at Android forums...solved my wifi connection problems by changing routers....

I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router?

They have this at Amazon for $30! :)

Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router

Supports open-source FW.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys...8&s=electronics&qid=1284141092&sr=8-2-catcorr

Comment from Amazon feedback:

I was looking for a Wireless-N router (the newest form of wireless connectivity) as most of my computers and consoles (Xbox 360 has a new wireless dongle) now have Wireless N technology. This was cheap and had fairly decent reviews so I decided to take a chance. The item arrived fairly quick and in great (I'd say practically brand new) condition and was easy to install. However, after only a few hours of use, I noticed several problems with this unit. Most of the problems seemed to be with my Macbook Pro; it wasn't getting a full signal, speeds were slow, and whenever I opened iChat, the router would instantly restart itself. After going through the hassle of purchasing and installing it, I decided to try something else before sending it back: I installed DD-WRT open source firmware on the router, and haven't looked back since.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
I just pulled a little Linksys WRT54GC out of the old junk box and going to see if it works well enough. I didn't see any WMM in the settings, but it doesn't have much of anything either.

hyatari

Reaction score
Just posted this over at Android forums...solved my wifi connection problems by changing routers....

I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router?

They have this at Amazon for $30! :)

Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router

Supports open-source FW.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys...8&s=electronics&qid=1284141092&sr=8-2-catcorr

Comment from Amazon feedback:

I was looking for a Wireless-N router (the newest form of wireless connectivity) as most of my computers and consoles (Xbox 360 has a new wireless dongle) now have Wireless N technology. This was cheap and had fairly decent reviews so I decided to take a chance. The item arrived fairly quick and in great (I'd say practically brand new) condition and was easy to install. However, after only a few hours of use, I noticed several problems with this unit. Most of the problems seemed to be with my Macbook Pro; it wasn't getting a full signal, speeds were slow, and whenever I opened iChat, the router would instantly restart itself. After going through the hassle of purchasing and installing it, I decided to try something else before sending it back: I installed DD-WRT open source firmware on the router, and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the heads up. Been having all the same issues since my d1 as well. Some kernels fixed the issue for me like those from sapphire but the d2 has this issue for me sinceday one. Oddly tho, it been working for hours today after work. Of course my d-link router isn't supported by the open source firmware so I pulled the trigger on a netgear with the open source firmware already installed and I had an old wired netgear router that worked pretty good for me. Oh well, I wanted to upgrade to gigabit ethernet ports anyhow.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

pulptastic

Reaction score
Using dd-wrt on a linksys router, no problems whatsoever. In fact, with wireless N router and phone, I can get about 2x the range of my d1. My d1 was a bit flaky on wifi, the wife and I just kept it disabled but I am loving it on the d2. Also, my google account apparently remembered my wifi info and password! It connected automatically when I first enabled it.

rlcbmoore

Reaction score
I have a wndr3700 netgear router.
Disabling the wmm of the 2.4ghz connection got rid of the WIFI connecting/reconnecting cycling that I was having.
I then could connect and maintain a connection, but it was SLOW.
I then Changed (in the routher) the 2.4ghz Wireless mode from 'up to 300Mbs' to the '54Mbs' legacy mode

All is good!!!