Droid 2 Wireless problems

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
I'm having WiFi issues with my Droid 2. The networks I've generally been connecting to are WPA2-AES.

My Droid 2 connects fine and gets an IP address. But once WiFi is enabled and connected, I can't browse more than sporadically. I mostly get "could not find page" type errors. If I turn off WiFi, I can immediately connect via 3G.

I've tried at home backing down to 20MHz instead of 40MHz. I've tried backing down from WPA2-AES to WPA2-PSK(TKIP), and then WPA-PSK(TKIP). No change. That said, the same problem exists using Cisco Enterprise access points at work, too.

Using the same access points with an HTC Incredible, I have no issues, and it's FAST. Right now, I'm not very impressed with the WiFi portion of the Droid 2. Does anyone have any ideas?

dast

Reaction score
I get the exact same behavior you do with my D2. The only thing I haven't tried that you have is going from 20MHz to 40MHz.

If I turn Bluetooth on, WiFi is unusable. It is really chapping my a$$.

piffey

Reaction score
I have the same issues. I have no clue what it could be either. I've tried a ton of varying solutions.

okmista

Reaction score
Same problem here!

I am having the same problem and the most frustrating part is that my husband who has an iPhone with AT&T has no problem with the wifi so I know it's not the wifi therefore I concluded that it was the phone. Any fixes out there? Do I need to call Verizon?

I'm having WiFi issues with my Droid 2. The networks I've generally been connecting to are WPA2-AES.

My Droid 2 connects fine and gets an IP address. But once WiFi is enabled and connected, I can't browse more than sporadically. I mostly get "could not find page" type errors. If I turn off WiFi, I can immediately connect via 3G.

I've tried at home backing down to 20MHz instead of 40MHz. I've tried backing down from WPA2-AES to WPA2-PSK(TKIP), and then WPA-PSK(TKIP). No change. That said, the same problem exists using Cisco Enterprise access points at work, too.

Using the same access points with an HTC Incredible, I have no issues, and it's FAST. Right now, I'm not very impressed with the WiFi portion of the Droid 2. Does anyone have any ideas?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you broadcasting an SSID? There's a known problem maintaining connections to networks with hidden SSIDs.

Also, make sure you're not running 802.11N.

dast

Reaction score
Are you broadcasting an SSID? There's a known problem maintaining connections to networks with hidden SSIDs.

I can't speak for other folks, but my router broadcasts its SSID and I run it in 802.11g (which has proved to be reliable as long as I use TKIP; if I use AES I have to run at 802.11b to keep a connection for than 2 minutes).

dast

Reaction score
Quick question to everyone having difficulties here: What type of router are you all using?

Anyone here running a D-LINK and *not* having problems? lol

OP
LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

Reaction score

I have SSID broadcasting on. I've had enough devices not like it off, so I just made sure to use good wireless security.

I can't run .11N?

That's (note: this isn't directed towards you) ridiculous. My entire household network is 802.11N now except for the Nintendo Wii. I bought my Buffalo Tech WZR-HP-G300NH router nearly a year ago for this very reason. Further, the Droid 2 specs on Motorola's website say it supports b, g, and n WiFi.

DROID 2 by Motorola - Android phone - Tech Specs - Motorola, Inc. USA

dast

Reaction score
I can't run .11N?

That's (note: this isn't directed towards you) ridiculous. My entire household network is 802.11N now except for the Nintendo Wii. I bought my Buffalo Tech WZR-HP-G300NH router nearly a year ago for this very reason. Further, the Droid 2 specs on Motorola's website say it supports b, g, and n WiFi.

DROID 2 by Motorola - Android phone - Tech Specs - Motorola, Inc. USA

I agree completely. All of the devices in my home worked with 802.11n except my Droid 2. It's supposed to support it but in practice it is unusable for me. It might work for half a day or two minutes, but eventually it craps out on me. Motorola has definitely pissed me off with this. :mad:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not run mixed mode? I know for the time you have G devices connected, everything will throttle back, but I cant imagine that your wireless network is slower than your internet connection, even at G speeds.

dast

Reaction score
Why not run mixed mode? I know for the time you have G devices connected, everything will throttle back, but I cant imagine that your wireless network is slower than your internet connection, even at G speeds.

I've tried mixed mode as well. No luck. The only thing that keeps WiFi working for me more than just momentarily is 802.11g(only)+TKIP or 80211b(only)+AES. Mixed mode, even with TKIP, would still die for me.

Even with a workable WiFi setup with 802.11g+TKIP for me still won't work when Bluetooth is turned on. As soon as I turn it on, either the WiFi will die or Bluetooth will fail to pair with any device.

As far as living with G speeds, which I am, there is one issue to consider--streaming media to various wireless devices from other computers on the internal network (not pulling anything from the internet) is a lot faster (less bu u u u f f f f e e r r r i n n g g g) with 802.11n. Running in 802.11g is fine for me for audio only, but trying to stream anything but the lowest quality video gets painful.

ibevsop

Reaction score
Are most still having problems? Wifi has been working like its supposed to for me lately. Its been about 3 weeks since its been stuck in the on/off spam loop, and reconnects fast when I wake up the screen after extended idle. I hope it gets better for you all too!

piffey

Reaction score
Are most still having problems? Wifi has been working like its supposed to for me lately. Its been about 3 weeks since its been stuck in the on/off spam loop, and reconnects fast when I wake up the screen after extended idle. I hope it gets better for you all too!

Did you do anything to get this to work? What does your network set up look like?

dast

Reaction score

Did you do anything to get this to work? What does your network set up look like?

Yeah, especially any hints on the on/off loop. I've tried so many suggestions that I'm coming to the point of thinking it must be a feature and not a bug, but I'm too stupid to appreciate it. I've tweaked and reduced it in some situations but there are still times that it gets stuck cycling.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

robble

Reaction score
I'm having the problem. i'm connected but can't browse the web =(