wifi connectivity unreliable with AES (DLink DIR-655)

MisterG23

Reaction score
Did we ever get an answer here? I have a D-link 825 and my DROID X connects, disconnects, searches repeat.... over and over... Lots of talk here about connecting TKIP vs AES and WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK.

Problem is, us tech challenged folks could use some more help on how exactly to change these settings.

This thread may be dead, so possibly a moot point here. But thought I would give it a shot.

Any Help?

nmos

Reaction score
I don’t know if it applies to the X or not but with my Droid "classic" the wifi power management caused similar problems with some routers. I'm rooted and so was able to adjust my /etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini file.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

HangTenKen

Reaction score
Same issue, Same Solution

I have a Verizon/Motorola Droid which just received Android 2.2.2 OTA. I've had the Wifi unreliability issue since I bought the phone back in Dec. 2009 and at that time tried to resolve the issue, but could get no help from Verizon, Motorola nor D-Link. I was glad when I thought to look again today and found this thread. I tried the TKIP setting on my D-Link DIR 655 router and this long time issue is resolved. THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!!

For the recent non-tech poster who needs help on this, you'll need to consult the manual (or webpage) regarding your router to adjust the settings. Roughly speaking you need to point a browser on your PC to the the default gateway of your router (192.168.0.1 in my case) and it will bring up your router's log-in screen. Log-in as Admin with a password you've already set or with the default password that came with your router (you can probably google that, I don't recall what mine used to be).

Once you are in to your router's admin website, you can configure these settings (at least on the DIR 655, possibly similarly on other D-Link routers) by Set UP [tab] / Wireless Settings [nav bar]/ Manual Configuration [button] / WPA [section] / cipher [dropdown] and select TKIP setting. Hope this helps.

-Hang Ten Ken

MotoMile

Reaction score
My network using the DIR655 is protected with WPA/WPA2. Will changing to TKIP affect the security of my network? Sorry, non-tech savy senior here. Thanks for your help.

joojoobee666

Reaction score
My network using the DIR655 is protected with WPA/WPA2. Will changing to TKIP affect the security of my network? Sorry, non-tech savy senior here. Thanks for your help.

Yes, TKIP is vulnerable to attacks and is almost as insecure as WEP.

I have the same problem with a Droid 1and a Droid 2 Global and my Linksys wireless router. Firmware has not helped. There is CLEARLY something wrong with Moto's implementation of WPA2/AES on all of the Droid's. When either are connected, other devices (laptops, etc.) randomly lose connection too.

My fix has been to leave WiFi disabled on all Droid devices and suck the living crap out of VZW's 3G network, as I don't have another choice. Lowering security is NOT an option for me but I did verify reducing security to WEP/TKIP does resolve the issue here as well. No other devices have a problem with this. Just Motorola.

Never again...big M. Never again.....

Last edited:

earnric

Reaction score
Edit: I'm dumb. Really dumb. Forgot that WPA-PSK is TKIP and WPA2-PSK is AES. Excuse my idiocy =P

Thanks for that... didn't know and was having WiFi connection problems with Liberty v0.4 on my home network... Switched to WPA and it seems stable.

Thx again,

R

joojoobee666

Reaction score
Edit: I'm dumb. Really dumb. Forgot that WPA-PSK is TKIP and WPA2-PSK is AES. Excuse my idiocy =P

Thanks for that... didn't know and was having WiFi connection problems with Liberty v0.4 on my home network... Switched to WPA and it seems stable.

Thx again,

R

Reducing security is NEVER a good fix, it's a sh*tty bandaid :(

earnric

Reaction score

Thx again,

R

Yea, but this is a beta ... if even that (v0.4) ... I can deal with it for a few weeks.

joojoobee666

Reaction score

Thx again,

R

Yea, but this is a beta ... if even that (v0.4) ... I can deal with it for a few weeks.

Unfortunately, same thing happens with stock roms (VZW Droid 1 and Droid 2 Global stocks) for me. It's a bad radio and/or driver with MOTO in general as far as I can tell.