WiFi Questions (Regarding Router)

hyatari

Reaction score
There's no point in having an N router then. This was my problem and I can't see crippling my speeds just for my phone as I often transfer files over my network as well as music/movies. I think its a kernel issue but I doubt we'll ever see a fix from moto and who knows if custom kernels are coming anytime soon as I don't think they are even possible atm. I can get my phone to work only with tkip encryption which in turn forces G transfer speeds. I even have tkip AND aes selected but the phone just wont connect properly.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just posted this over at Android forums...solved my wifi connection problems by changing routers....

I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router?

They have this at Amazon for $30! :)

Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router

Supports open-source FW.

Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router: Electronics

Comment from Amazon feedback:

I was looking for a Wireless-N router (the newest form of wireless connectivity) as most of my computers and consoles (Xbox 360 has a new wireless dongle) now have Wireless N technology. This was cheap and had fairly decent reviews so I decided to take a chance. The item arrived fairly quick and in great (I'd say practically brand new) condition and was easy to install. However, after only a few hours of use, I noticed several problems with this unit. Most of the problems seemed to be with my Macbook Pro; it wasn't getting a full signal, speeds were slow, and whenever I opened iChat, the router would instantly restart itself. After going through the hassle of purchasing and installing it, I decided to try something else before sending it back: I installed DD-WRT open source firmware on the router, and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the heads up. Been having all the same issues since my d1 as well. Some kernels fixed the issue for me like those from sapphire but the d2 has this issue for me sinceday one. Oddly tho, it been working for hours today after work. Of course my d-link router isn't supported by the open source firmware so I pulled the trigger on a netgear with the open source firmware already installed and I had an old wired netgear router that worked pretty good for me. Oh well, I wanted to upgrade to gigabit ethernet ports anyhow.

NP..

Which one did you get? I told a buddy w/a D2 about this and he wants to upgrade as well, and his router is also uncompatible w/DD-WRT.

d2wheelz

Reaction score
I have a LinkSYS WRT54GS, D2 wifi would connect but not surf etc.

Mixed Network, Chan11, Security WEP 128bit

changed to

Mixed Network, Chan1, Security WAP, enabled MAC FILTER / Permit only listed and add the mac address of your phone and other devices.

works with no problem

hyatari

Reaction score
Just posted this over at Android forums...solved my wifi connection problems by changing routers....

I've been having problems, with both my D1 and warranty replacement D2, with wifi at home.

Everything else I throw at my network connects and stays connected w/out issue.

My D1 and D2 would connect and then after less than 10 minutes lose internet access - still show full connection/strong signal strength, but web broswer, email, market, etc., could not access the internet.

Tried changing channels, changing security, rebooting router and phone, and nothing seemed to help. Router is a SMC BarricadeN. Router had the current FW release.

Yesterday finally decided to try another router - I had Netgear Rangemax N (WNR834B) router around that I wasn't using, as it had been a little flaky. I checked and confirmed it supported DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router | Unleash Your Router) and decided to try that to see if the open-source FW would fix the router's flakiness and fix my phone Droid issues. (SMC router is not supported.)

Flashed the DD-WRT FW and put the router in place and D2 connected and stays connected w/out issue. Using same security I used on the SMC (WPA/WPA2 w/AES-TKIP). Router appears to be working well, haven't seen any issues yet.

So my D1/D2 wifi connection issues turned out to be something between the SMC router and my D1 and D2 that didn't get along.

Very happy camper now...anyone wanna buy a SMC BarricadeN router?

They have this at Amazon for $30! :)

Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router

Supports open-source FW.

Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router: Electronics

Comment from Amazon feedback:

I was looking for a Wireless-N router (the newest form of wireless connectivity) as most of my computers and consoles (Xbox 360 has a new wireless dongle) now have Wireless N technology. This was cheap and had fairly decent reviews so I decided to take a chance. The item arrived fairly quick and in great (I'd say practically brand new) condition and was easy to install. However, after only a few hours of use, I noticed several problems with this unit. Most of the problems seemed to be with my Macbook Pro; it wasn't getting a full signal, speeds were slow, and whenever I opened iChat, the router would instantly restart itself. After going through the hassle of purchasing and installing it, I decided to try something else before sending it back: I installed DD-WRT open source firmware on the router, and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the heads up. Been having all the same issues since my d1 as well. Some kernels fixed the issue for me like those from sapphire but the d2 has this issue for me sinceday one. Oddly tho, it been working for hours today after work. Of course my d-link router isn't supported by the open source firmware so I pulled the trigger on a netgear with the open source firmware already installed and I had an old wired netgear router that worked pretty good for me. Oh well, I wanted to upgrade to gigabit ethernet ports anyhow.

NP..

Which one did you get? I told a buddy w/a D2 about this and he wants to upgrade as well, and his router is also uncompatible w/DD-WRT.

Went with this one. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/...5?redirect=true&ref_=oss_product&a=B002RYYZZS

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

NP..

Went with this one. We'll see how it goes.

NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless-N300 Gigabit Router with USB WNR3500L:Amazon:Electronics

Thanks, but it comes up as an unknown link on Amazon...

mavrick1100

Reaction score
Cisco all the way!

Hi All, I am an IT field service tech. Our company uses Cisco routers only. My Netgear turned into a brick one day, and I thought, if Cisco is good enough for my company, then it should be good enough for me. I purchased a Linksys (owned by Cisco) E2000 wirelessN. My hillbilly ISP service drops at least twice a day and I have to power cycle the modem and router. For some reason, the router password changed and I could not log in to make changes.

I had to contact Cisco. They answered w/in 30 secs. Thought I was going to be on hold for eternity. The tech walked me through the reset/reconfigure and called back the next day to check on the router!! Everyone out there thinking of purchasing a new/replacement router, consider a Cisco.

I have a constant wireless connection with Droid2 & no issues. Just thought I'd share. (I am not receiving commision from Cisco-haha)

hyatari

Reaction score

mavrick1100

Reaction score
Cisco E2000 WirelessN. Picked it up @ Bestbuy. Little pricey @ $89.00 on sale, but you get what you pay for. I particularly like the ease of use and configuration web interface. The one thing the Cisco tech told me is to not use the gateway router Ip to log in as this could cause problems. The software you load gives you what is called "Cisco Connect", which gets you to the config page.

Smokie

Reaction score
how old are the routers you guys are having problems with? are you sure you have the most recent version of the firmware for your particular router? having up to date firmware usually fixes connection issues with both wired and wireless.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
Question about all this,
I have a Netgear router that is taking my DSL feed direct which is the router I originally connected to on WiFi and had the issues.
I then took a little Linksys wireless router and plugged it in and connected to that and still have that issue. Before I dig further into settings, does the WMM pass through from the Netgear to the Linksys?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
how old are the routers you guys are having problems with? are you sure you have the most recent version of the firmware for your particular router? having up to date firmware usually fixes connection issues with both wired and wireless.

Router was about a year old, most recent FW...fail.

Replaced w/router about 2-3 years old, DD-WRT FW...victory.

The D1/D2 are definitely picky...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

hyatari

Reaction score
Well, I got my new netgear router in today. Its still a bit early but my D2 is running smooth as ever over wifi right now. Its connecting at full N speeds unlike my old d-link. Also, tested file transfers over N and its pretty epic and stable, I mean im talkin 14mbps stable and steady. This is with wpa2 and aes only cipher. And the router itself is sweet lookin too I gotta say. Anyhow, like I said its still early but man its smooth sailin so far. I'll post more later on.

OP
ReyZero

ReyZero

Reaction score
So I decided to monitor a little closer when my internet drops.
Here's the scenario
Doing anything that uses the internet, in my last case I was watching a YouTube video
The video stops, at a certain point, as far as the buffer goes before the internet dies
I tried to view my router, 192.168.X.X and it couldn't see it
I went to the wireless options, and sure enough it says Wi-Fi Connected To X
But below in the available connections, it shows that I'm NOT connected.
I proceeded to click that connection and retype in the password (why did it ask again? it's because...)
Now there's TWO of the X in the available connections list, and two in the Manage Networks section.

I can bring the connection back by turning wifi on and off, but since the connection never lasts more then 5 minutes it's becoming a pain in the ass.

So, anyone have some further ideas? I'm not sure if it's still my router to blame at this point.

As a side note, I leave my WiFi on 24/7, it doesn't sleep, and I'm pretty sure e-mail and all the background data is syncing just fine, so I'm not sure why it freezes just because they're more traffic. Even the Market crashes my WiFi

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I got my new netgear router in today. Its still a bit early but my D2 is running smooth as ever over wifi right now. Its connecting at full N speeds unlike my old d-link. Also, tested file transfers over N and its pretty epic and stable, I mean im talkin 14mbps stable and steady. This is with wpa2 and aes only cipher. And the router itself is sweet lookin too I gotta say. Anyhow, like I said its still early but man its smooth sailin so far. I'll post more later on.

Excellent...thanks very much for posting back how things are going! :)

Gotta admit, I'm tempted. My netgear doesn't have the gigabit ports... ;)