Wifi kill battery length? Seems to run out fast.

Jon K

Reaction score
Hi all -

got my phone last night, charged it up and went to bed. Woke up this morning and used the car dock (without being plugged into the car) to use the speaker phone on my commute in. Maybe a 15 minute phone call. Got work, showed some co-workers the phone and we/they played for a few mins. Got back to my desk and its down to 70%! Is that ordinary???

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
So it was unplugged all night, you made a 15 minute phone call on speaker phone, and you let others play for it for a few minutes. And you mentioned something in your title of wifi, but no other mention. So i'm assuming you had it on the whole time. Not sure what your phone is either, you need to put that in your profile. But yeah, depending on what your friends were doing, and how your signal is at home, if its not very good and is searching for a good signal all night etc. But yeah, not too far fetched, i'd hope to be at 80/90% after that on my droid 1.

By the way, we share the same first name and last initial :)

OP
J

Jon K

Reaction score
No it was plugged in charging all night. I unplugged this morning when my alarm was going off. Was on speaker for 15 - 20 mins on the way into work. A few buddies were googling and browsing and using the swype keyboard. Came back to my desk and browsed for a few, and it was don to 70%! Not 80-90, but 70! Kind of fast it seems. But, whichever. I just charged it up again via USB. I will see how "typical use" comes into play as the day goes by.

I have a Droid X btw. Interesting about the name :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
turn down the display to conserve some battery for starters. also, note that you now have a 4.3 inch screen and a 1GHz processor so its gonna use battery a little faster. i bought the extended battery from VZW and now i have 2 fully charged batteries that i can use with heavy use throughout the day

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
make sure you turn off GPS when not being used. There is a thread about it here... it is a known bug with the X and you may even need to restart your phone.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
No it was plugged in charging all night. I unplugged this morning when my alarm was going off. Was on speaker for 15 - 20 mins on the way into work. A few buddies were googling and browsing and using the swype keyboard. Came back to my desk and browsed for a few, and it was don to 70%! Not 80-90, but 70! Kind of fast it seems. But, whichever. I just charged it up again via USB. I will see how "typical use" comes into play as the day goes by.

I have a Droid X btw. Interesting about the name :)

Don't have an X myself, but yeah, that seems pretty quick to drop to 70%
Good luck with it, would definately try out the extended battery.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I am completely new to the Droid, so I read tons of threads on this forum. The battery issue problem thread was very helpful as well as the thread on keeping your droid snappy. My battery life increased by a lot when I rooted and renamed some apps that I never use. I also keep GPS off when I am not using it for something specific. I downloaded a screen brightness app and keep it almost on the lowest setting.
WiFi: actually, the last few days I have kept wifi on to run off of my home network...it seems to turn off when my phone is asleep (screen off whatever you want to call it) and turns on automatically when my phone is on. But I spend most of my time around available wifi sources so it is not constantly searching like some people's phones.
Bottom line...my battery life STUNK...now it doesn't

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi can be left on all the time. I leave it on because it actually uses less power than 3g. On the droid x there's a bug so you can leave wifi and gps on as long as you turn OFF "use wireless networks" under location&security. After the update that should be fixed.

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.